Page 16 of 92 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I assumed as with Elton John this was session work & as I said, I have never heard of such a collaboration.
    I think I've browsed through all the player credits at some point on all the Cooper albums. I don't remember any names, but I'd like to think that I had noticed a name like "Don Felder". If he's played on a Cooper album I somehow missed his name, or he wasn't credited.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I'm an Alice Cooper fan. I have all his albums. But I'm not a trivia freak. And I don't know anything about his tours. So this was the first time I heard that Don has been a "go-to resource" for Alice Cooper. Does anyone know anything about this? When I googled them together, the only result I got was one gig where he, Alice and Johnny Depp appeared together.
    Golf!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Golf!
    Umm - yeah. They've probably played golf together. That was my first thought as well. Then I thought surely Felder wouldn't claim he had worked with someone like Alice Cooper when all he has done is play golf with him. Surely not. And I am still scratching my head over the Elton John claim. As someone else said, there was one appearance with Elton at Wembley in 1975. That doesn't really translate to being a 'go to' man for him, does it.

Banned

Felder found himself working both with The Eagles and in both sessions and live performances for numerous music legends spanning the musical spectrum: The Bee Gees, Bob Seger, Michael Jackson, Alice Cooper, Kenny Loggins, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Boz Scaggs, Warren Zevon, Joni Mitchell, Stevie Nicks, Vince Gill, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Paul Simon, Diana Ross, Barbara Streisand – and even and old friend, Steven Stills.
    [Thanks UndertheWire]

There were a few surprises on this list for me too. I've got all Nicks and Zevon's albums. Quite a few CSN and Elton John albums too. I sure I would have noticed Don's name listed in the album credits.

DR and BS worked a bit with the brothers Gibb. Felder was selling real estate during the 80s.

I remember seeing a photo of the Eagles doing an encore with Elton John on piano. It may have been from Wembley 1975. Would that count?

My favourite tracks with Felder providing guitar are Stevie Nicks' The Highwayman (with a brilliant Henley harmony vocal too) and Joe Vitale's funky reggae duet with Marilyn Martin, Man Gonna Love You.

Not that much of a fan of Felder's leads but I love his pedal steel playing. The Last Resort and Walsh's Second Hand Store are fine examples.

I'm sure if Alice Cooper ever fancies a round of Golf, Felder's the "go to" guy as he hasn't much else on

Stuck on the Border

The list probably came from Don or his website, the "go-to" part is down to the writer.

It reminds me of the kind of job application you put together when your experience is a bit limited - you include every workshop or work experience that you've ever done - and then as your career progresses, you start to trim it until eventually you only write in depth on your most recent jobs because noone's going to offer you a job based on something you did thirty years ago. It's just that Don hasn't done that edit.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    The list probably came from Don or his website, the "go-to" part is down to the writer.

It reminds me of the kind of job application you put together when your experience is a bit limited - you include every workshop or work experience that you've ever done - and then as your career progresses, you start to trim it until eventually you only write in depth on your most recent jobs because noone's going to offer you a job based on something you did thirty years ago. It's just that Don hasn't done that edit.
    Or he didn't give it at all and the writer did an internet search that may or may not have been accurate.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

In today's age of lazy journalism where both fact and fiction are parroted endlessly as "news" from one site to the next, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were the case, VA. I have seen so many errors perpetuated by people who do Google searches and don't fact check before they post; each erroneous repost gives the false info more "credence". Anyone who is a member of Facebook sees daily proof of this with all the hoaxes circulated there that are believed by so many people.

I don't believe Felder would lie about who he'd worked with in the past. He has no reason to do so.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    In today's age of lazy journalism where both fact and fiction are parroted endlessly as "news" from one site to the next, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were the case, VA. I have seen so many errors perpetuated by people who do Google searches and don't fact check before they post; each erroneous repost gives the false info more "credence". Anyone who is a member of Facebook sees daily proof of this with all the hoaxes circulated there that are believed by so many people.

I don't believe Felder would lie about who he'd worked with in the past. He has no reason to do so.
    Perhaps not but a couple of us who have a lot of these artists' work are struggling to come up with any instance of Felder working with them.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    [Thanks UndertheWire]

There were a few surprises on this list for me too. I've got all Nicks and Zevon's albums. Quite a few CSN and Elton John albums too. I sure I would have noticed Don's name listed in the album credits.

DR and BS worked a bit with the brothers Gibb. Felder was selling real estate during the 80s.

I remember seeing a photo of the Eagles doing an encore with Elton John on piano. It may have been from Wembley 1975. Would that count?

My favourite tracks with Felder providing guitar are Stevie Nicks' The Highwayman (with a brilliant Henley harmony vocal too) and Joe Vitale's funky reggae duet with Marilyn Martin, Man Gonna Love You.

Not that much of a fan of Felder's leads but I love his pedal steel playing. The Last Resort and Walsh's Second Hand Store are fine examples.

I'm sure if Alice Cooper ever fancies a round of Golf, Felder's the "go to" guy as he hasn't much else on
    Of course Wembley 1975 doesn't count as 'work'. Not in my view, anyway.

I gave the specific example of his one session with the Bee Gees. I had that album. I still have that one track, He's A Liar.

Four out of five of the Eagles 1980 album are on Zevon's Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School album. Felder plays on the track A Certain Girl.

Stuck on the Border

If someone else did some research and compiled the list of artists, I wonder where he/she got Alice Cooper's name. With "Go-to" or not, Alice (or Elton) shouldn't be there at all if they were just one-off appearances on the same stage on one or two songs.

As for job application, I think that Don is at a point in his career where he wouldn't have to list every artist he's played a song with on stage. He's an Eagles guitarist who wrote Hotel California (). I don't think Alice Cooper brings that much more respect for his body of work.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "go-to" part did come from Don. There's similar stuff in his book. "Would you play on my album. I could really used your input". It fits his style - "people really want me to play for them" kind of thing.