Page 23 of 92 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I've always thought that Glenn's comments there reflect a current bravado that he probably didn't enjoy in 1980 and maybe not even in 2001. We don't have audio of him actually saying those words to Felder's lawyers - he may have, or, he may have been paraphrasing for the doc.

My takeaway is that Felder's behavior/demands stressed out Glenn immensely in the '70s and from 1994-2001, and NOW he is able to be FREE of him. He is past it, he doesn't have to play politics or band business or keep his mouth shut. He is free to speak of Felder in any manner he wants, and his words reflects how he feels now. It was very liberating.

That was honestly one of my favorite scenes in the doc. And no, as an adult, watching a rock documentary, the a-word does not remotely offend, in any context.
    Hear, hear.

We are talking about a grown man who doesn't mince his words.Some of us were plesaed that he didn't hold back or try & pretend that the situation ddin't make him angry. As I have said, give me his brutal honesty over Felder's backhanded jibes any day. Perhaps at the time as VA said he could have been less abrasive & shown more patience. What he was faced with was being generous enough to pluck someone out of obscurity after 14 years of almost complete silence, and then watching that person apparently believe that he was the most important band member & that he could dictate terms. The fact is Felder was in no position to bargain & had to be given an ultimatum.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Perhaps at the time as VA said he could have been less abrasive & shown more patience.
    Actually I said 'abrasive and abrupt approach', which is not really how I feel about it, but apparently others do. I consider it 'direct', or even better, cutting out the BS and laying it on the line. I think he showed too much patience, if he'd have done it sooner, he might not have been as 'abrasive and abrupt'.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Although I personally tend to "see" subtle digs everywhere in Don's book and in interviews from that era, I respect opposite views on this forum - that Don is the better guy and Glenn was too harsh in the documentary etc. People on this forum have probably spent a bit of time thinking about it before screaming something like "Glenn sucks!". It is more the ignorance among "the masses" that irritates me. Because among rock fans ignorance is often bliss when it comes to working relationships between band members. In every band there has to be one or two a**h***s (usually the ones who do most of the work and have more responsilities than the rest) and one or two good guys (usually the ones who would like to party instead of working). Often the "good guys" also complain in public, and people who don't like to give too much time or consideration for facts or different points of view automatically side with them.

Who would be the biggest a**s*** in the Eagles, then? Well, who does more work than the rest? By "more" I don't necessarily mean more working hours, but "more" in terms of different stuff it takes to run the business.

But, like I said, people on this forum actually know something about the band, so their views aren't based on complete ignorance. It's just a different way of seeing things.
    Last edited by chaim; 06-09-2015 at 07:44 AM.

Stuck on the Border

We also all bring our own experience to it and this means we attribute qualities to band members that they may or may not possess. How often do we see comments like "I knew a guy just like him..."? So if we've been crushed by an alpha type, or had to deal with an employee or complains a lot, that's going to play a part in our understanding.

What I keep thinking about is that some of the conflict goes back to childhood and the way this influenced the way Felder and Frey approach life. Felder's concern about money and his comparative poverty as a child, his wish for approval and being the disappointing younger son, the bottling up grievances and keeping quiet to avoid being belted. And in there, a morality and a belief that things should be fair. In contrast, the little we know of Glenn's background is that it was happy with early success, a lot of encouragement and a loving relationship with his mother.

Very true, UTW, and that's the kind of stuff I love to think about. If doing that for a living paid any sort of money, that's what I'd do. I try to take into account people's backgrounds when I know them, and not expect the same things from everyone. That being said, we all have our crosses to bear, and just because someone doesn't see what it might be doesn't mean we don't have it.

Chaim, I do have to mention that for the most part, my comments above for for 'the masses', and not people on this board, since you are right, those who are here have given it serious thought. The fact that we've all been given the same set of facts and details and still think different things is what makes life interesting.
    VK

Back to Felder being the Press.... here's an article I found that is a classic example of poor journalism. Apparently he's doing a concert around Labor Day, but it doesn't say where, or when, or what venue. So I'm putting it here until I find out more details and can open an anticipation thread. If anyone else has the details, feel free to start the thread as it will be a while before I can get to it, I think.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/loca...hea_1433780974
    VK

Stuck on the Border

It's a mobile address, so hopefully everyone can see it. Don's take on his grandchild's other grandfather/grandmother.

http://m.usmagazine.com/celebrity-ne...upport-2015166

The non-mobile link:
    http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...upport-2015166
    VK

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Nice to hear that Don, as part of the extended Jenner/Kardashian family is being so supportive. And Leah's baby will be Don's ninth grandchild - I knew he had several grandchildren, but had no idea that it was that many.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

VK