Page 27 of 92 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

I stand corrected on the amount of Tempchin-cowrites, but I still don't understand the "Eagles songwriter" title before his name on Facebook. One of his Eagles songs is a classic. One that he co-wrote (Already Gone) is probably a sort of classic too. But the rest are...not exactly classics, good as some of them are.

However, I won't go further on this as I've already taken this too far from the actual topic.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post

The only part I'd question in that is the "1987" as his credits seem to stop in 1984/85.
    In 1985-1986 Don hosted the musical comedy show “FTV.”

In 1986 he wrote and performed the music for the CBS animated series “Galaxy High” and for the TV movie “Blue de Ville.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_High

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090757/...f_=tt_ov_st_sm

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    It seems to me that Glenn is the one who screens questions beforehand. It’s hard to believe he never gets asked questions about Don Felder.

After the Eagles broke up, Don Felder made a solo album, worked as a studio musician, and contributed songs to movie soundtracks. He retired from the entertainment business in 1987 to spend more time with his children. He’s said so in interviews and in his book.

According to Glenn Frey online, Glenn opened 9 shows for Fleetwood Mac in 1982 and 30 shows for Tina Turner in 1985. I guess he wasn’t successful enough to headline an entire tour of his own.

Glenn is considered a great songwriter, yet he hasn’t released a solo album of original material since 1992.

Jack Tempchin, who wrote “Peaceful Easy Feeling” and co-wrote “Already Gone,” has praised Don Felder on Facebook for his versions of both songs. Don was the Eagles’ lead guitarist for years. I think people want to hear him play Eagles’ songs.
    He did headline tours of his own for No Fun Aloud, The Allnighter & Strange Weather, although the legs for the first two weren't very long. Interesting that you chose not to mention those & just mentioned the supporting dates. He also did the LRB tour when I saw him (yes, he was a guest), and the Party Of Two tour, as well as the more recent tours.

Also it hardly needs saying that Glenn did support shows back in the early 80s. Felder is a support act NOW, quite frequently.

I could just as well say once again that in the nearly 15 years since Don Felder was fired from the Eagles he has only released one album of original material - and two in total. That is not a lot.

I'm sorry.... I understand Felder fans wish to defend him, but being selective about facts is not in my view the best way to do it.
    Last edited by Freypower; 12-01-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I've been thinking about this and at this point I'm more interested in what Don Felder will do in the future. He appears to be still fit and healthy and has a desire to record new music. I find it disappointing that he doesn't carry that forward to his live shows but what do I know about the economics of touring?

I don't think Don can be successfully defended by looking back at his solo efforts as he did so much less musically than each of the current eagles, whether as a session musican, recording solo or touring. However, he has the chance to make up for it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Also it hardly needs saying that Glenn did support shows back in the early 80s. Felder is a support act NOW, quite frequently.
    It’s not true that Don Felder is frequently a support act. He only occasionally opens up for others acts. Anyway, Glenn played shows as an opener in the ’80s, when he was at the height of his solo career.
    Last edited by SilverMoon; 12-12-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    It’s not true that Don Felder is frequently a support act. He only occasionally opens up for others acts. Anyway, Glenn played shows as an opener in the ’80s, when he was at the height of his solo career.
    As I already stated, Glenn does not open shows now.

I looked back at the Felder concert review thread & since it began, he did an entire tour supporting Styx & Foreigner & he has also supported Peter Frampton, the Doobie Brothers & Steve Miller all in the last couple of years. So to me that is more than 'only occasionally'.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I've been thinking about this and at this point I'm more interested in what Don Felder will do in the future. He appears to be still fit and healthy and has a desire to record new music. I find it disappointing that he doesn't carry that forward to his live shows but what do I know about the economics of touring?

I don't think Don can be successfully defended by looking back at his solo efforts as he did so much less musically than each of the current eagles, whether as a session musican, recording solo or touring. However, he has the chance to make up for it now.
    I totally agree with you again, UTW. AFAIC, any effort to compare Felder's solo career with Glenn's is rather pointless and unfair. As a solo artist, Glenn had 12 songs chart in the Billboard Top 100, 8 of which made the Top 40 - 'nough said.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

What does it really matter anyway?? They are all about 67 years old. Felder has a young child & likes to play golf. I think they should enjoy some well deserved time off. I do not intend to be working at 67 or even 65. The 80's are long gone, & they all have plenty of money so they can do whatever they want at this stage of the game. Glenn needs to rest & recover from his surgery. Felder is doing what he wants to do. He obviously doesn't need to play a huge audience. Actually a smaller place is much better to see anyone. Loved seeing him at the Beacon & Jones Beach.

Stuck on the Border

Here's an interview from June (2015). He talks a bit about watching films as well as the usual stuff.
    http://crypticrock.com/interview-don-felder/

Stuck on the Border

I think it's time for some Glenn & guitar rant again. The writer praises Don's guitar tone on the song "One of these nights". Whenever people say that, I wonder if they're just talking about the guitar solo or the harmonized guitar parts as well. Any idea? I wish that some day it will be confirmed who plays those harmonies. I still think that most - if not all - of it is Glenn.
    Last edited by chaim; 12-23-2015 at 09:27 AM.