Page 28 of 92 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

I find it interesting that even Don Felder is using the football analogies. I've seen Don Henley using them, too so Glenn has them well-trained. However, Felder does speak as if he was the one pushing it all along.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I find it interesting that even Don Felder is using the football analogies. I've seen Don Henley using them, too so Glenn has them well-trained. However, Felder does speak as if he was the one pushing it all along.
    Yes, I can see how it can be taken like that. But I read it like Don was talking only about doing his part. Like he was able to do his share there.

Having said that, it doesn't always sound like he was pushing the band to go in a certain direction. Often he says that he just recorded demos and then Glenn and Don H decided what to use. Like he wasn't pushing for any particular songs. However, in this interview it sounds a bit like he knew exactly what the band should do.

Stuck on the Border

I suspect they all "knew" exactly what they should do and that caused a lot of the arguments! Anyway, it's could to read that they were all team players. That has to be true to some extent otherwise they wouldn't have lasted so long at a time when bands tended to break up after a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I think it's time for some Glenn & guitar rant again. The writer praises Don's guitar tone on the song "One of these nights". Whenever people say that, I wonder if they're just talking about the guitar solo or the harmonized guitar parts as well. Any idea? I wish that some day it will be confirmed who plays those harmonies. I still think that most - if not all - of it is Glenn.
    I think they'd have to be referring to the solos, they mentioned HC. His solo on OOTN really brought a lot of lyrical guitar playing to the forefront of the Eagles, only to be topped by HC.

It's also funny that he used the exact same rig for both OOTN and HC and got two different sounds equally great. OOTN has the Tweed amp cranked into fuzz sound, HC has a brighter more strident tone and is the same amp, just not cranked as high into that fuzz territory.

I have an old 50s 5E3 Fender Narrow Panel Tweed Deluxe like Felder's and it has that sound in spades with a Les Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    As I already stated, Glenn does not open shows now.

I looked back at the Felder concert review thread & since it began, he did an entire tour supporting Styx & Foreigner & he has also supported Peter Frampton, the Doobie Brothers & Steve Miller all in the last couple of years. So to me that is more than 'only occasionally'.
    Don has played with Peter Frampton, The Doobie Brothers, and Steve Miller as a special guest, not as a support act. The tour he did with Styx and Foreigner was a joint tour. Don was a co-headliner, not a support act, on that tour. All three acts were headliners. The support acts on the tour were local artists.

When Glenn does solo shows in North America, he doesn’t play big arenas, he generally plays the same-sized venues as Don Felder.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    Don has played with Peter Frampton, The Doobie Brothers, and Steve Miller as a special guest, not as a support act. The tour he did with Styx and Foreigner was a joint tour. Don was a co-headliner, not a support act, on that tour. All three acts were headliners. The support acts on the tour were local artists.

When Glenn does solo shows in North America, he doesn’t play big arenas, he generally plays the same-sized venues as Don Felder.
    I think we are now going round in circles for no good reason. For a start, I said nothing about the type of venues Glenn plays. Second, like it or not, Felder was the opening act forthe Doobies, Miller & Frampton. The term 'special guest' is a euphemism for 'support act'. And of the bands he 'co-headlined' with, he played first.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to keep going back & forth on a subject on which we are fundamentally at odds.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Just wanted to throw in my two cents because I haven't seen it mentioned in recent comments and the venue is in my small town - for the past two years Don Felder headlined at the Del Mar Fairgrounds. He was billed as the headliner of 20 bands that played during a 10-mile race. http://www.delmarfairgrounds.com/ind...015&calCatID=6

I'm surprised there is confusion regarding what is an "opening act" vs. a "supporting act" vs. co-touring band vs. special guest. In my mind, J.D. and the Straight Shot is an opening act. Local bands are opening acts. On the tour with Styx and Foreigner, Felder was clearly on the main bill. Someone has to play first, and he came back later in the show. A special guest is someone who comes out during the show and plays with band, right? Or do special guests open for a band?

Regardless, I think we all have a sense of all of the guys' current stature as solo acts. Clearly Henley is in a class by himself. The others just do their thing and their adoring fans get to see them in small venues!!!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I think they'd have to be referring to the solos, they mentioned HC. His solo on OOTN really brought a lot of lyrical guitar playing to the forefront of the Eagles, only to be topped by HC.

It's also funny that he used the exact same rig for both OOTN and HC and got two different sounds equally great. OOTN has the Tweed amp cranked into fuzz sound, HC has a brighter more strident tone and is the same amp, just not cranked as high into that fuzz territory.

I have an old 50s 5E3 Fender Narrow Panel Tweed Deluxe like Felder's and it has that sound in spades with a Les Paul.
    Yes, Don F certainly got a lot of stuff out of his gear!

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Mr. Felder is interviewed in this brief-ish but poignant article in a Roanoke, VA newspaper: http://www.roanoke.com/news/wire_hea...cc0bba1bb.html

Stuck on the Border

He still had to get in the bit about how they hadn't contacted him for years.

He needs to be very careful about what he says.