Page 43 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

I don't know if this has been posted before, but it Don answers a lot of questions about equipment, including what was used and sometimes who played what on a few Eagles songs. Certainly, this is one for Toni (are you the same Toni who asked the question below?)

http://www.felderfans.com/guitar-q-a-with-don/

Here's a couple:
    Mark from Wales asked, “On the rhythm track for “I Can’t Tell You Why” do you use a delay to get the repeated chords?”
    Yes, that is an old Echoplex set to the exact delay speed as the tempo of the song. I played each chord once and let the echo do the magic.

“There are harmonized (lead) guitars in One Of These Nights (throughout the song) and Too Many Hands (choruses). Who played them? Thanks again,” – Toni
    In those days Glenn and I played most of the electric harmony guitar parts.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I don't know if this has been posted before, but it Don answers a lot of questions about equipment, including what was used and sometimes who played what on a few Eagles songs. Certainly, this is one for Toni (are you the same Toni who asked the question below?)

http://www.felderfans.com/guitar-q-a-with-don/

Here's a couple:
    Yes, it's me. I believe I posted this when Don had answered my question. I was disappointed in his reply. He didn't talk about the specific songs I mentioned, he just spoke in general terms. So the harmonized guitars in OOTN could be all Glenn and the ones in TMH could be Glenn and Don, for example.

Don played the 12-string acoustic in TMH. I believe it's Bernie playing the clean(ish) electric that also plays the riff. If so, Glenn probably played the harmony parts? At least some of them.

I hate to say this, but it probably wouldn't be easy for Don to admit if Glenn played all the harmony guitars in OOTN since he always raves about his own contributions to that song. Like I've said many times, I remember Don saying in an old interview "after Glenn does the introduction", which must have referred to the guitar harmonies. Also, whenever I've seen them reproduce those harmony parts in the choruses live, it has been Glenn and Don (or Steuart). Joe has never played any of them. IMO this supports my assumption that Glenn was heavily involved with them in the studio.

Border Rebel

In concert, Bernie Leadon played the 12 string acoustic on "Too Many Hands" and Glenn and Don F the electrics. I would think Bernie would've done the same on the actual recording.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    In concert, Bernie Leadon played the 12 string acoustic on "Too Many Hands" and Glenn and Don F the electrics. I would think Bernie would've done the same on the actual recording.
    As I recall, Don talks about playing the 12-string part on the album in his book. He says something like it almost made his fingers bleed.

Banned

Run-of-the-mill article publicising an up-coming live show;
    http://www.indystar.com/story/entert...etal/84144442/

Non-Eagles selections include “Heavy Metal (Takin’ a Ride),” which Felder wrote and recorded for 1981 animated film “Heavy Metal,”
    Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride) was an outtake from the Eagles The Long Run album, Henley even sings on it. I get a little bit annoyed when Felder uses it as an example of the music he's done outside of the Eagles.

I wonder if he'll perform a tribute to Glenn during his May dates?

According to Setlist.fm, just like Joe, Don has added Take It To the Limit to his standard set list:
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/don-fe...-2bf0881e.html

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Run-of-the-mill article publicising an up-coming live show;
    http://www.indystar.com/story/entert...etal/84144442/

Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride) was an outtake from the Eagles The Long Run album, Henley even sings on it. I get a little bit annoyed when Felder uses it as an example of the music he's done outside of the Eagles.

I wonder if he'll perform a tribute to Glenn during his May dates?

According to Setlist.fm, just like Joe, Don has added Take It To the Limit to his standard set list:
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/don-fe...-2bf0881e.html
    I think Schmit sings on it too, but if Walsh & Frey don't appear on it, it can't be called an outtake and can be legitimately classed as solo work. Let's face it - he doesn't have much else.

As to whether he does a tribute to Glenn I think he should leave it alone. His whole show is a tribute to the Eagles anyway. Since he threw his tantrum about not being included in the Grammy tribute it doesn't matter to me what he does.

Stuck on the Border

This is my second attempt with this. To me it seems that Don Felder is unfortunate in his timing of this interview and although I initially thought it showed a lack of sensitivity, maybe it just shows how out of the loop he is.

When I heard Joe's interview where he said about how it was too soon to talk about Glenn or the Eagles, it brought home what a big shock it has been. So when I read some random person's comment about how Joe should have Don Felder as a special guest, I thought it was ridiculous. If he can't even talk about Glenn and what he meant to him, why would Joe create controversy by bringing in Don Felder? Unless ticket sales are poor and he needs publicity at any cost, I don't see any upside.

But now we have Felder talking about how much he'd like to play with Joe again and " I would hope that whatever powers that be, management or whatever, would allow us to get together and play." Maybe he has a point there, as I don't see that Joe's management would see it as a good move to play with Felder at this point. If Felder had kept it more personal and talked about wanting to renew his friendship with Joe and get together and jam some time, maybe I'd have been ok with it, but this sounds too businesslike.

Banned

In another thread I imagined Randy turning up at one of Joe's shows and joining in with Joe's Take It To The Limit tribute to Glenn. If Don Felder turned up at a Walsh gig and offered to join the tribute, I think Joe would gently but vociferously decline.

I hope Don, now the reconciliation with the Eagles is impossible, isn't going to switch his focus to a possible reconciliation with Joe Walsh.

In my opinion. the only time Walsh and Felder were a true team, was during the Hotel California guitar break, which lately, Felder has increased his own significance to the detriment of Joe's contribution.

Stuck on the Border

I hand't read the interview until I read UTW's post. I agree with both UTW & F50 on this.

Being very blunt.... it's like 'well, that's out of the way. Now perhaps I can play with Joe again'.

Not only is it insensitive it demonstrates a continued refusal to face reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    In my opinion. the only time Walsh and Felder were a true team, was during the Hotel California guitar break, which lately, Felder has increased his own significance to the detriment of Joe's contribution.
    I take issue with the first (bolded) part. I think they were a guitar team not just on HC but even on older songs. When they played their solos they played off of one another and they competed in a friendly way. Their playing styles melded together perfectly, and they really did enjoy playing together. They were a true team up to the point of the firing and IMO, they were the best guitar duo ever.

The second half of this I agree with, I loves Joe's part in HC as much as Felder's.