Page 45 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Having said all that above, I can see why Don F may feel sad because he can't work with Joe. Joe was in a difficult position. But then again Don wasn't exactly kind to Joe either when he discussed his sacking in the book. I wonder if he has tried to apologize Joe at some point.
    Yep. In the book, I felt like Don had this you owe me attitude with Joe when he called him. I took your rehab, I took care of your daughter, etc etc. I would think you would side with me with everything I've done for you these last few years after you go sober. Joe didn't owe Don nothing. He may had drove Joe to rehab, but it was Don and Glenn that helped him get sober. He wanted to be the Eagles and he got sober so he can be part of the band.

Don is trying so hard to make mends with the surviving Eagles. Since Glenn is gone, he couldn't make mends with him. Now he's focusing on the one person he wants to work with now there's nothing his way. Joe.

Stuck on the Border

I doubt Felder has any expectations of playing with Joe again, but if a journalist asks him, what is he going to say? Of course he'd like to play with Joe!

Joe's smart and he has to know how playing with Felder would look (Frey was the problem and now he's gone, we can go back to being best buddies etc) and my guess is he wouldn't want that out of loyalty to Glenn.

While I can see the advantages for Felder, I don't see many for Joe. Joe could probably team up with any number of famous musicians and create more excitement by playing something new, whereas with Felder they would be expected to play Eagles songs.

Stuck on the Border

I don't mean to be rude by saying this, but I just don't understand....Several people have suggested that Joe wants to stay loyal to Glenn and that's why he won't pay with Don F. What does it have to do with Glenn? I can understand if Glenn didn't want an Eagles member to work with Don F when the band was working, but I don't understand why Glenn would personally mind too much if Joe played with Don when the Eagles are not together.

Stuck on the Border

Toni, I see your point. I know that bassist Wade Biery now plays in Don's band and previously played with Glenn and was in favour enough to be at Glenn's memorial in some capacity.

What I was thinking was that there would be nasty comments implying that Glenn prevented Joe from playing with Don while he was alive and now Joe was free.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Toni, I see your point. I know that bassist Wade Biery now plays in Don's band and previously played with Glenn and was in favour enough to be at Glenn's memorial in some capacity.

What I was thinking was that there would be nasty comments implying that Glenn prevented Joe from playing with Don while he was alive and now Joe was free.

We'll just have to wait and see.
    Ah, I get that. Yeah. Never thought of it that way.

Right now it is Henley's and Glenn's family decision to make amends with Felder because if ANY of the guy's decide to make amends without the okay from Cindy it will open even more wounds. As much as I love Felder this is his doing because he thought only about himself and not about the band. I think in 2001 it was a very hard decision to get rid of him. They most likely thought "Should we keep Felder and risk breaking up again? Or should we remove a member who is a huge part of our sound and legacy FOR THE SURVIVAL OF THE BAND?" The choose to get rid of him and as you can tell by Glenn's body language in the doc was a hard decision but it was necessary to ensure the band continued. Ultimately I would have done the same thing. It was a smart move.

What do you guys think?

Stuck on the Border

It's up to the individuals to make up their own minds. If Joe wants to play with Don Felder, he should but he's given no hint of such a wish in the last 15 years.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Right now it is Henley's and Glenn's family decision to make amends with Felder because if ANY of the guy's decide to make amends without the okay from Cindy it will open even more wounds. As much as I love Felder this is his doing because he thought only about himself and not about the band. I think in 2001 it was a very hard decision to get rid of him. They most likely thought "Should we keep Felder and risk breaking up again? Or should we remove a member who is a huge part of our sound and legacy FOR THE SURVIVAL OF THE BAND?" The choose to get rid of him and as you can tell by Glenn's body language in the doc was a hard decision but it was necessary to ensure the band continued. Ultimately I would have done the same thing. It was a smart move.

What do you guys think?
    I don't think Glenn's family will make amends with Felder. However I think the last thing Cindy would care about now is hearing that Henley etc were in contact with him because her loss rather outweighs anything like this. But he caused too much damage. If he hadn't written his book & given so many interviews where he trashed Glenn & to a lesser extent Henley, perhaps they could have reached out.

In my view his behaviour at the time of the Grammy tribute meant that he forever ruined any chance of a reconciiation.

As for whether the firing was the correct decision, that is another topic, but my predictable answer is yes, of course it was. I would go further. After they reformed & had done the HFO tour, they wanted to go back & make an album. With his incessant complaints & demand to see the financial records, he stopped them from doing so. He probably should have been fired the minute the tour ended, or he should have been read the riot act. Who knows - we could have had two more Eagles albums, not one.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't think Glenn's family will make amends with Felder. However I think the last thing Cindy would care about now is hearing that Henley etc were in contact with him because her loss rather outweighs anything like this. But he caused too much damage. If he hadn't written his book & given so many interviews where he trashed Glenn & to a lesser extent Henley, perhaps they could have reached out.

In my view his behaviour at the time of the Grammy tribute meant that he forever ruined any chance of a reconciiation.

As for whether the firing was the correct decision, that is another topic, but my predictable answer is yes, of course it was. I would go further. After they reformed & had done the HFO tour, they wanted to go back & make an album. With his incessant complaints & demand to see the financial records, he stopped them from doing so. He probably should have been fired the minute the tour ended, or he should have been read the riot act. Who knows - we could have had two more Eagles albums, not one.
    I agree with everything you said, Who knows maybe hell will freeze over again. People thought Axl Rose and Slash would never work together again but they are right now. To me wounds and emotions are still fresh. One Day At A Time.

When I saw Joe at Mohegan Sun last October he had a picture of him and Felder in a slide show during Life's Been Good.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Joe could probably team up with any number of famous musicians and create more excitement by playing something new, whereas with Felder they would be expected to play Eagles songs.
    Maybe I'm just a fuddy duddy but I'd rather hear them play old Eagles songs. I'm not much a fan of most modern music and I love the 70s stuff the most and to me, that's what I want(ed) to hear when I saw the Eagles or see the guys solo. There's nothing wrong with just wanting to hear those old songs. I think it would be great to have them play them. Not calling themselves the Eagles, but something else. But I'd rather hear them play those songs than new material. YMMV. I happen to prefer classic rock music and not much of new rock n' roll out today. I'm more a fan of modern country music in that regard, it's closer to the classic rock sound than modern rock is and even sometimes new records by old acts. There's nothing wrong with making new music, but I'd hate to see them not play Eagles material. I prefer that and their old solo stuff (70s/80s) over any of the guys modern solo work present or future and LROOE for that matter. I realize I'm in the minority here.

And I should specify that I'm talking about any of the guys solo or together and not just Don Felder and Joe Walsh.

As far as JW and DF, I don't see it happening, nor do I see him doing anything with DH or TBS either. I think that ship has sailed.