Page 51 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I disagree on both points.

I think he's a far better singer than people around here give him credit for.

The only time he's used tracks that I've heard is on TV appearances because he didn't have a band behind him. It was him and an acoustic guitar. He used a drum track and harmony vocals to fill it out. That makes perfect since and even the best of singer/guitarist would need something to keep rhythm and fill in harmony vocals in a solo performance of something that was done in a band context.
    Forgive me for wondering if you are doing what is billed as a solo performance why you have to 'fill it in' with harmonies done by people who aren't there.

As for opionions on his vocals we have another thread about that. I think you are far too generous.

Have you watched the other performances which are being queried? What is your opinion on those? This discussion should probably continue in the Felder Videos thread where it started.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-31-2016 at 08:11 PM.

Austin, I suggest you visit the videos thread. You'll be able to see it for yourself.

I personally never would have noticed it - I thought he was singing live as well when I went to see him - but after watching those videos, I realized the truth.

This isn't someone saying "he must use a pre-recorded track because he's a bad singer." It's someone saying "he must use a pre-recorded track because his vocal is exactly the same every single time, and that's not humanly possible."

Go watch the videos. You'll see. The 100% vocal duplication every single time - not to mention his vocal being heard clearly while his mouth isn't near the microphone - it's impossible to explain away.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Yes, I have never suggested that he's a bad singer. On the contrary I don't understand why he should use a pre-recorded vocal track, because IMO he doesn't need it. (IMO he could do without Autotune too, but it seems to be a trend these days.) I expressed it too strongly earlier - I spoke like it's the truth. It should be more like "this is how I strongly feel and here's why". I'm not a professional musician or technician after all.

This discussion indeed doesn't belong here, but I had to comment...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Didn't Leadon and Meisner work together briefly during the 80s? I don't believe Felder had any contact with Leadon and Meisner from the time they left until after the reunion, based on his book and interviews with Leadon and Meisner.
    Yes, Bernie Leadon was part of the Black Tie touring group in early 1986: Black Tie's main members were Jimmy Griffin (ex-Bread), sweet Randy and Billy Swan.

Felder and the Meis didn't work together but have remained friends all these many years.

Banned

I disagree on both points.

I think he's a far better singer than people around here give him credit for.

The only time he's used tracks that I've heard is on TV appearances because he didn't have a band behind him. It was him and an acoustic guitar. He used a drum track and harmony vocals to fill it out. That makes perfect since and even the best of singer/guitarist would need something to keep rhythm and fill in harmony vocals in a solo performance of something that was done in a band context.
    It's not about ability. It's about integrity.
    I've heard solo performances from all the Eagles, barring Meisner. Each performed a track or tracks that originally we're performed by a full band. They all provided their own accompaniment with just a guitar or piano. It's the most natural thing for a musician to do. Playing and/or singing along with a backing track is karaoke isn't it.

Felder maybe a fabulous guitarist, gifted song writer, excellent band leader and a decent singer but he's definitely bottom of the Eagles list when it comes to integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    It's not about ability. It's about integrity.
    I've heard solo performances from all the Eagles, barring Meisner. Each performed a track or tracks that originally we're performed by a full band. They all provided their own accompaniment with just a guitar or piano. It's the most natural thing for a musician to do. Playing and/or singing along with a backing track is karaoke isn't it.

Felder maybe a fabulous guitarist, gifted song writer, excellent band leader and a decent singer but he's definitely bottom of the Eagles list when it comes to integrity.
    I don't consider a backing track when playing as a single person is karoke in the slightest. With karaoke you have NO instruments. The track simply fills in the missing instruments to help keep time and to fill out the sound. Could he do it without it when playing without a backing band, sure. But it sure makes it more interesting when there are other instruments be it a track or otherwise.

-----

Soda - I'll head over to the videos thread but I've watched recent Felder videos and never noticed anything.

Stuck on the Border

I don't consider a backing track when playing as a single person is karoke in the slightest. With karaoke you have NO instruments. The track simply fills in the missing instruments to help keep time and to fill out the sound. Could he do it without it when playing without a backing band, sure. But it sure makes it more interesting when there are other instruments be it a track or otherwise.

-----

Soda - I'll head over to the videos thread but I've watched recent Felder videos and never noticed anything.
    Backing vocals when there are no physical people there to sing them? Sorry, but that is inexcusable. And when people sing karaoke they are - guess what - singing over a backing track. They are not singing accapella.

You admit yourself that if Felder just stood with a guitar & 'sang' it wouldn't be sufficiently interesting. That says it all.

Your attempts to defend the man are laudable, I will say that.

Well, I do distinguish between using a backing track to fill out sound and lip-syncing to a pre-recorded vocal. It's true a lot of performers choose to change the arrangement of a song if they don't have a band with them, but it's certainly not always the case. I remember during Lindsey Buckingham's "One Man Show" in 2012, he occasionally added a backing track on songs like "Stephanie" which didn't sound right with just one guitar. Similarly, I don't fault Felder for using backing tracks in such circumstances.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Backing vocals when there are no physical people there to sing them? Sorry, but that is inexcusable. And when people sing karaoke they are - guess what - singing over a backing track. They are not singing accapella.

You admit yourself that if Felder just stood with a guitar & 'sang' it wouldn't be sufficiently interesting. That says it all.

Your attempts to defend the man are laudable, I will say that.
    Yes but karaoke doesn't have an actual instrument onstage. Therin lies the difference, as I already stated.

I honestly would prefer all solo artists to have some sort of backing instruments live or recorded. Not just Don Felder. It makes it more full sounding. As a predominately electric guitar fan, solo acoustic stuff isn't my cup of tea.

I guess if you think I'm being too kind to Felder, so be it. I guess I could say I think you are being to harsh on him. I've called him on some stuff recently. He's not a perfect man. But to say he isn't a singer isn't fair, and I'm going to say something, I'm sorry.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I can understand what Austin is trying to say here, although I can't totally agree with him. I do enjoy listening to artists playing solo with a single guitar myself, but you are perfectly entitled not to if that's not your thing. Personally I would rather not hear harmony vocals if an artist is performing a song solo with a guitar - I can see how they might add to the song but if I was watching it live, it would seem odd to me to hear backing vocals when it is clear that there is no one singing them. However, I can totally understand why a performer might use a backing track when the original song had a prominent synthesiser or keyboard part. For example, if Felder wanted to play ICTYW with the synth strings from the original I wouldn't mind at all - I think in those cases it seems fair enough, and the fact that there's nobody playing the part doesn't particularly bother me.