Page 53 of 92 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Thanks for posting. I found it quire interesting as I hadn't appreciated how much customisation there is with electric guitars. I wish he'd given a demonstration of how the different pedals affect the sound.

As for playing 16 guitars on HC, that has me wondering how they were able to play it live with just three guitarists (even if Don effectively had two guitars).

Don talks well and as he was there to talk about his guitars, I'm fine with him talking about himself. At least he didn't repeat the full story of writing HC at the (rented) house in Malibu. I've heard that a few too many times.
    When I wrote my post I was thinking of the part where he discussed his early days. Whenever I see him talk about his past it looks like it's his favorite thing to do. I find this funny in a nice way, not irritating.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by glennthegreat View Post
    This is what Don is talking about when he mentions the many guitar parts of that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fNDkE_GejQ

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMq8FOzC8h0
    I'm aware of those guitar parts, but if Don played "about sixteen" guitar tracks, what was there left for Joe and Glenn to play? Joe played a couple of licks in the second chorus and lead at the end, but other than that which part did he play?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I'm aware of those guitar parts, but if Don played "about sixteen" guitar tracks, what was there left for Joe and Glenn to play? Joe played a couple of licks in the second chorus and lead at the end, but other than that which part did he play?
    We know Glenn played the acoustic, surely?

Wouldn't this be yet another case of Felder beefing up his own contributions?

I hear 4 distinct guitars (not guitarists) on the record. The acoustic 12-string opening intro that repeats throughout. Arpeggiated notes. The Les Paul thicker warmer sounding guitar. And the Telecaster with a brighter wirey sound. I associate the first two with Felder because it's well documented. I associate the last one with Walsh because it also has been well documented.

The last guitar part I hear is a light rhythmic strumming that is following the bass essentially. Not picked notes but a strumming guitar. That, I'd bet, is Frey. It could be Felder but I can't believe Glenn wouldn't have played guitar on HC. He had to of. And that part, is basically what he did live. So I have to believe that was his part on that song. Felder may not want to give that credit but as far as sixteen guitar parts, they must have buried most of them because I sure don't hear them.

Border Rebel

I'm wondering if Felder is referring to parts played, and not necessarily different ones. Perhaps he's talking about 16 total guitar tracks some of which might be doubled or tripled for thickness.

I must admit I'm a bit uninformed as to what that means, scottside - could you explain a bit what you mean by doubling/tripling a guitar track? (Sorry to have to ask.)

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    We know Glenn played the acoustic, surely?

Wouldn't this be yet another case of Felder beefing up his own contributions?
    But the acoustic part Glenn has always played live isn't there in the original. At least in the verses. In the choruses there seems to be some extra acoustic guitar that could be Glenn. The main acoustic (12-string with a capo on the 7th fret) was played by Felder.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I must admit I'm a bit uninformed as to what that means, scottside - could you explain a bit what you mean by doubling/tripling a guitar track? (Sorry to have to ask.)
    It means that you play exactly the same part again (and perhaps again and again) and layer it. That's done to thicken the sound. Sometimes people even detune the guitar slightly before the play the same part again, because that makes the sound bigger. I think ABBA did this a lot. I know KISS did this on Destroyer. Sometimes, I think, even different guitars are used to record the same part a couple of times.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I hear 4 distinct guitars (not guitarists) on the record. The acoustic 12-string opening intro that repeats throughout. Arpeggiated notes. The Les Paul thicker warmer sounding guitar. And the Telecaster with a brighter wirey sound. I associate the first two with Felder because it's well documented. I associate the last one with Walsh because it also has been well documented.

The last guitar part I hear is a light rhythmic strumming that is following the bass essentially. Not picked notes but a strumming guitar. That, I'd bet, is Frey. It could be Felder but I can't believe Glenn wouldn't have played guitar on HC. He had to of. And that part, is basically what he did live. So I have to believe that was his part on that song. Felder may not want to give that credit but as far as sixteen guitar parts, they must have buried most of them because I sure don't hear them.
    Do you hear acoustic strumming in the verses - other than Felder's? I only hear his acoustic. He starts a "light strumming" after the first couple of minutes.
    Which rhythm part has a Telecaster? I've never noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Do you hear acoustic strumming in the verses - other than Felder's? I only hear his acoustic. He starts a "light strumming" after the first couple of minutes.
    Which rhythm part has a Telecaster? I've never noticed.
    Yes I do. There's definitely something there but it's pretty buried.

Joe's solo was done on a Telecaster. Also the answer licks in the 1st chorus. Don's Les Paul was for his solo and the answer licks in the 2nd chorus.