Page 54 of 92 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Banned

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    I'm wondering if Felder is referring to parts played, and not necessarily different ones. Perhaps he's talking about 16 total guitar tracks some of which might be doubled or tripled for thickness.
    I'd agree with that scottside. They spent a long time making Hotel California. Musically, it was Felder's baby, so I wouldn't be surprised if Felder added and altered little bits, during pre-production, before the final print went to the presses. They did record Hotel California three times before they were adequately satisfied with the finished article.

When the Eagles started performing Hotel California live, they thought the guitars sounded a bit thin so guitar tech, Jage Jackson would also play guitar on it.

If I remember rightly, Don Felder said that, for the wonderful acoustic guitar solo, he plays during The Sad Cafe, each line features a different guitar, so he is inclined to utilise all the tools at his disposal.

It's the wonder of a big budget and no deadline. It wouldn't have happened in the Glynn Johns era.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    It wouldn't have happened in the Glynn Johns era.
    During those early days, one of their guiding principles was that they should only record what they could reproduce live with just the four of them. That, and that they probably couldn't afford multiple guitars.

In that guitar interview, did I hear correctly that Don has five different sets of guitars, each in a different location? I'm not sure I understood that. I do know that on tour, as equipment generally travels by road but the band can fly more quickly, there might be two lots of equipment so that the second set is already on its way to the next venue even before they complete the current show. Is that what he's talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I must admit I'm a bit uninformed as to what that means, scottside - could you explain a bit what you mean by doubling/tripling a guitar track? (Sorry to have to ask.)
    It thickens up whatever part it is. Some of them are buried but it makes for a more impactful fuller sound. It's called overdubbing. Sometimes they'll play something in different octaves to again, fill out the sound.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Yes I do. There's definitely something there but it's pretty buried.

Joe's solo was done on a Telecaster. Also the answer licks in the 1st chorus. Don's Les Paul was for his solo and the answer licks in the 2nd chorus.
    Yeah. But I was thinking about the basic track. As far as I know the Eagles usually cut the basic tracks live with everyone playing something, and then all or some of them would overdub stuff. If they cut the basic rhythm track to HC live, what did Joe play? I'm sure he overdubbed his lead bits later. I must say though that I'm not sure if they cut the basic tracks live to that one. Felder had arranged so much of it already that perhaps the band never played together in the studio when they were recording that one.

Stuck on the Border

Bill Szymczyk:
    "And as with all of them, the Eagles recorded together as a band on Hotel California. Remember, this was before the days of build‑a‑record, where you start with a click track and then do things piece by piece. We may have gone back and replaced a guitar or keyboard part, but my way of doing things was to record numerous takes, select the five or six best ones and use the very best parts from all that. So I did a lot of two‑inch tape editing, and I know for sure that on 'Hotel California' there were 33 edits on the two‑inch master.
    There's lots more in that interview that may make more sense to you guitarists and musicians.
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep1...racks-0910.htm
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 06-07-2016 at 06:50 AM. Reason: I still can't spell that name.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Yeah. But I was thinking about the basic track. As far as I know the Eagles usually cut the basic tracks live with everyone playing something, and then all or some of them would overdub stuff. If they cut the basic rhythm track to HC live, what did Joe play? I'm sure he overdubbed his lead bits later. I must say though that I'm not sure if they cut the basic tracks live to that one. Felder had arranged so much of it already that perhaps the band never played together in the studio when they were recording that one.
    Maybe Joe didn't play rhythm on HC? It's possible.

As I mentioned, hear 4 guitars as I said on al parts of HC. LP, Tele, 12-String acoustic, and strummy 6-String acoustic.

Isn't Don's double guitar a 12-string and 6-string. Then that's probably him. Glenn probably does Don's repeated progression during the solo.

I have notice Glenn playing along with Don at the beginning, but I can't hear a second guitar playing the beginning notes.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Isn't Don's double guitar a 12-string and 6-string. Then that's probably him. Glenn probably does Don's repeated progression during the solo.

I have notice Glenn playing along with Don at the beginning, but I can't hear a second guitar playing the beginning notes.
    He didn't use the doubleneck on the recording. He used a Martin 12-string acoustic and a Gibson Les Paul. Don is the only one doing the arpeggiated beginning. He only got the doubleneck when he realized that he needed to both and didn't want to use a stand for an acoustic for fear of tipping it over onstage. So he uses the 12 string neck to one jack into a leslie and acoustic type amp and the 6 string neck to another jack out to an electric guitar pedalboard and amp.

There is a 2nd guitar just strumming the chords throughout, and that I believe is Glenn playing the same thing he did live (6-string acoustic capoed). In Glenn's case it would be capo 2 and playing Am-E-G-D-F-C-Dm-E. Felder played capo 7 and it would be Em-B-D-A-C-G-Am-B (with some different inflections on those chords). Without a capo it would be Bm-F#-A-E-G-D-Em-F# for both.

Stuck on the Border

Another interview, although much the same as any other:
    http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arts-...les-glenn-frey

It's nice that he plans on mentioning Glenn at the Detroit show tomorrow. I wish he could have left it at that. Unfortunately, there always has to be the addendum of how "gracious" he is versus how mean the other guys were.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten