Page 56 of 92 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

I agree with you JCL, it's just an awkward way of saying things.

I believe that Don Felder is essentially a nice and decent guy but tends to speak about himself without a lot of consideration of the bigger picture. If that's how he is, we just need to accept it and try to love him for who he is rather than who we want him to be. That's the advice I'd give those who "hate" Glenn Frey or Don Henley, too. They are probably all "nice guys" most of the time.

Banned

This is an Eagles website. In my opinion nobody has damaged the Eagles more than Felder. The other Eagles avoid talking about him so his comments would go unchallenged without Eagles fans expressing their views.

The fact that his career success is entirely reliant on his past with the Eagles doesn't help either.

There's a lot of focus on the "3 more songs" incident. The band broke up and got back together since then. I expect Felder got a clean slate, a second chance, another opportunity to amend his 70s behavior. In 2001 Frey had, once again, had enough of him. The first time the blame may have been shared, the second time everybody knew where the problem lay.

Felder was nasty in response to his sacking, now he's dished the dirt he wants everyone to pretend it never happened. Felder turned on his former band mates and hasn't changed his stance since. Until he does he is still an adversary of the band despite anything he says in self promotion.

I'm glad Felder has got some loyal fans, I just don't understand why they aren't satisfied with his career beyond the Eagles. Why are Felder fans so obsessed with the Eagles?

Out of the last 36 years, Felder was an Eagles for only 6 of them which roughly match his first installment as an Eagle. If he'd rejoined for LROOE, it's likely he would have already been ditched again by now.

Anytime during the last 40 years, except for maybe HFO, I would have seen Joe leaving the Eagles as a positive development.

Felder may have some social anxiety issues like that etc. I know because I often blurt out without thinking about it. When he was being interviewed for the doc he is the only one of the guys to not look directly at the interviewer or camera he always looked down. I do the same thing. But he is a 68 year old man he should have learned it by now. I think he was truly hurt by the whole thing. Maybe they all were. Timothy said it best"In my experience all Rock and Roll band are on the verge of breaking up at all times". Often times people with Anxiety and adhd etc such as myself when something bad happens like get a bad grade get in trouble with parents or school. We often always put the blame and never think it was our fault. I have personal experiences with this. Maybe its the same with Felder based upon reading his book unlimited number of times or the HOTE doc I think it may be the case where he thought he wasn't doing anything wrong when he actually was. From a personal experience I can think its likely.

Or maybe he is just a giant ass and ungrateful sob.
    Last edited by travlnman2; 07-18-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Stuck on the Border

An excellent post, Travlnman2.

Stuck on the Border

Perhaps Felder keeps bringing up about "reaching out" to the others because it's something he needs in order to move forward and get over it. Some kind of closure.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Perhaps Felder keeps bringing up about "reaching out" to the others because it's something he needs in order to move forward and get over it. Some kind of closure.
    Steven Adler did the same thibg for years. He finally got the chance on July 6th and July 9th when he performed with Guns N Roses for the first time since 1990. He is so happy now He finally got the closure he needed amd can lead a new life.

Maybe Felder is the same way

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Anytime during the last 40 years, except for maybe HFO, I would have seen Joe leaving the Eagles as a positive development.
    Wha???? lol

I mean I personally don't care for the early Eagles.

I cannot imagine the Eagles without Joe or Don or preferably both. The rockin' Eagles is a good Eagles. For me, their early country sound is meh. I'm not the world's biggest Bernie fan, but I give him props for paving the way. I just cannot imagine the Eagles going back to a sound reminiscent of their first two albums.

I think it fuels my fire that some people would be happy with any lineup as long as Glenn and Don would have been there. I'm sorry, but I would have never given them a dime if Walsh wasn't there. It was hard enough without Felder. Walsh contributed so much to the Eagles that I prefer him in the Eagles over the James Gang or solo stuff. I like his solo tunes best in the Eagles live shows. I just cannot imagine and Eagles going on without Joe Walsh in it. It seems ludicrous to me.

Again, I think the Eagles were best suited as a commercial classic rock band, and not a country-rock outfit. I feel their best work had Felder and Joe in it, and I feel the work with Felder and Bernie was better than Bernie alone. I'm not a fan of the older country sound. To me I want some loud distorted guitars and some uptempo rockers or songs with great singing guitar solos in them.

It's safe to say that if the band had kept their more country-tinged sound of Desperado forward, I would not be an Eagles fan. For me it was never about soft country-rock and harmony vocals, it was always about good rock guitar and great singers who could really rock when they wanted to. Not acoustic guitars and Telecasters and twangy harmony vocals lol.

Joe brought SO much to their live shows, he stole the show in the second half and they were happy to let him. He brought a ton of energy and fun, even when they were all stuffy with those funeral suits in the LROOE period. Joe brought so much to the band, a band that was at times a bit too formal. I don't see Bernie or Felder or Steuart running around with a camera on their head. And the band needed that. I firmly believe at times it was too stuffy, and Joe helped relieve that.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Wha???? lol

I cannot imagine the Eagles without Joe or Don or preferably both.
    You don't have to imagine it WalshFan88 . Listen to the first couple of Eagles albums or even parts of their most recent,Long Road Out Of Eden album.

The most recent solo albums from Don, Glenn and Tim were rock less affairs. I think both Glenn and Don had to be persuaded to add uptempo tracks to their albums.

Judging by Felder's, Return to Forever, he's not a convincing rock musician either. I'd rather Felder played Visions, Too Many Hands or some of his, up tempo solo stuff, than Tequila Sunrise and Peaceful Easy Feeling during his concerts. I doubt whether Felder rocks any more than the original Eagles when he's performing those two tracks.
    Last edited by Funk 50; 07-18-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    This is an Eagles website. In my opinion nobody has damaged the Eagles more than Felder. The other Eagles avoid talking about him so his comments would go unchallenged without Eagles fans expressing their views.

The fact that his career success is entirely reliant on his past with the Eagles doesn't help either.

There's a lot of focus on the "3 more songs" incident. The band broke up and got back together since then. I expect Felder got a clean slate, a second chance, another opportunity to amend his 70s behavior. In 2001 Frey had, once again, had enough of him. The first time the blame may have been shared, the second time everybody knew where the problem lay.

Felder was nasty in response to his sacking, now he's dished the dirt he wants everyone to pretend it never happened. Felder turned on his former band mates and hasn't changed his stance since. Until he does he is still an adversary of the band despite anything he says in self promotion.

I'm glad Felder has got some loyal fans, I just don't understand why they aren't satisfied with his career beyond the Eagles. Why are Felder fans so obsessed with the Eagles?

Out of the last 36 years, Felder was an Eagles for only 6 of them which roughly match his first installment as an Eagle. If he'd rejoined for LROOE, it's likely he would have already been ditched again by now.

I'm reluctant to say more here. However, I basically agree with this except for the last paragraph. Where did THAT come from?

But I also have to say that the reason Felder fans are obsessed with the Eagles is the miniscule amount of music Felder has made on his own. Two albums & a couple of soundtrack songs; one album in 15 years. He presents himself as an Eagles tribute act. He's the one who won't let the Eagles go.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Wha???? lol

I mean I personally don't care for the early Eagles.

I cannot imagine the Eagles without Joe or Don or preferably both. The rockin' Eagles is a good Eagles. For me, their early country sound is meh. I'm not the world's biggest Bernie fan, but I give him props for paving the way. I just cannot imagine the Eagles going back to a sound reminiscent of their first two albums.

I think it fuels my fire that some people would be happy with any lineup as long as Glenn and Don would have been there. I'm sorry, but I would have never given them a dime if Walsh wasn't there. It was hard enough without Felder. Walsh contributed so much to the Eagles that I prefer him in the Eagles over the James Gang or solo stuff. I like his solo tunes best in the Eagles live shows. I just cannot imagine and Eagles going on without Joe Walsh in it. It seems ludicrous to me.

Again, I think the Eagles were best suited as a commercial classic rock band, and not a country-rock outfit. I feel their best work had Felder and Joe in it, and I feel the work with Felder and Bernie was better than Bernie alone. I'm not a fan of the older country sound. To me I want some loud distorted guitars and some uptempo rockers or songs with great singing guitar solos in them.

It's safe to say that if the band had kept their more country-tinged sound of Desperado forward, I would not be an Eagles fan. For me it was never about soft country-rock and harmony vocals, it was always about good rock guitar and great singers who could really rock when they wanted to. Not acoustic guitars and Telecasters and twangy harmony vocals lol.

Joe brought SO much to their live shows, he stole the show in the second half and they were happy to let him. He brought a ton of energy and fun, even when they were all stuffy with those funeral suits in the LROOE period. Joe brought so much to the band, a band that was at times a bit too formal. I don't see Bernie or Felder or Steuart running around with a camera on their head. And the band needed that. I firmly believe at times it was too stuffy, and Joe helped relieve that.
    I know how strongly you feel about this, but when you write about this you make them sound like a completely different band from what they actually were. Even in the songs you like, when were the guitars every particularly loud or distorted? As for 'not acoustic guitars & harmonies'... a lot of people went to the Eagles for that, not for the small percentage of the sound to which you refer.

I find your statement that you can't imagine the Eagles without Joe or Felder somewhat disingenous as you know very well Felder didn't join until 1974, Joe a year after that & there was no Felder after 2001. As F50 said, you don't have to imagine it. It's a fact.

Regarding Joe stealing the show, I know all that, but I have to say that for me personally when I saw them for the last time last year, there was far too much of that & not enough of the rest of the band. I was there to see the Eagles, not Joe & a backing band. I always felt this way when I thought one member was too dominant at any one time.