Page 67 of 92 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Video interview with DF.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2owegNYfM4[/ame]

Stuck on the Border

Thank you for posting that.

I'm impressed by his ability to talk for minutes at a time without hesitation, repetition and deviation. Also, I liked that Don, with support from his host, kept it positive. Even the subject of disagreements within the band was used as an opportunity to show how they collaborated with the story of the ICTYW solo.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 12-16-2016 at 07:38 PM.

Stuck on the Border

His story about the Hell Freezes Over version of HC - the introduction - is totally different in that interview, compared to the story in his book. Glenn is now Don H, and he thought Don meant a spoken introduction.

I'm glad that it was Don who brought up ICTYW and Glenn's solos, without being asked about it. That was a nice thing to do. But I never like it when people insinuate that everyone else but Glenn and Don H wrote the music to the band's songs.
    Last edited by chaim; 12-16-2016 at 05:19 PM.

What point does that introduction to HC story appear in the video? I don't have time to watch the whole thing, but that is so bizarrely different from his usual story that I've got to see it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Only for you... it's about 25 minutes in.

Thanks for the video WF88. It appears to have been taped in Nashville after his performance the previous evenng.

Some things I took away from it:

1. Don stopped drinking in 1980. If it was in his book, I must have forgotten.
    2. He added guitar parts to On the Border (the song).
    3. He's already recorded 7 tracks for his new CD, which he hopes to be released in Spring.
    4. He's planning to tour the U.S. and possibly Canada next summer with Styx and REO Speedwagon.
    5. His relaying of how the HFO version of HC came about does differ somewhat from his book. He says it was Don who approached him about writing a new introduction, instead of Glenn. However the gist of it was that he was put on the spot and came through, which is the same as the book.
    6. On his rider- "organic medicinal lemon throat tea" and "assorted unsalted nuts"

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Yeah, I was surprised to hear about On The Border, the song. Next time I listen to it I'll listen closely to try and guess which ones are Don. I don't think there's a solo and it's Glenn playing the "soul licks" during the bridge. Perhaps Don enhanced the intro - adding some guitars to make it more effective?

As for the new HC intro, here's what I never understood in his book. He writes that he got the instruction to come up with a new intro. Then, as I recall, he went away (to his hotel room or something) and tried to think of an intro. But when they did the gig he played an improvised intro anyway. Did he think of some phrases beforehand and put them spontaneously together when they played it live? That would explain it to me.

Stuck on the Border

The bit I don't get about the HFO HC intro is he said it was improvised and he wouldn't be able to play it again so what did he do on the second night? Has anyone compared the into on the video with the 2nd night bootleg?

Where does he speak about On the Border? I missed it but I can't face listening to it all again.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 12-17-2016 at 12:00 PM. Reason: auto-correct

Stuck on the Border

When Don talks about his first session with the band (Good Day In Hell), he says that after that we was asked to add his guitar to some other tracks. He mentions Already Gone and On The Border. Seems that he played more on the album than I thought.

Stuck on the Border

I've asked this before with no results, but is there someone who knows their guitar licks who would listen to the Nov 1973 bootleg of of GDIH and compare it to the studion version? I know the live version doesn't sound as good, but I'd like to know how much of what Don Felder contributed was new ideas rather than just playing what they had better.