Page 75 of 92 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    I'll admit, I was surprised to see the ending of the article where Felder talked about "reaching out" and not hearing anything back. My first reaction was, "Still? You're still talking about this?"
    Amen, CA!

I think he has some regret over how he handled his own behavior during the HFO years and is wishing he could have had more self control back then, but that bridge has long been burnt and unless someone creates a time machine, there is simply no going back. I don't think he could have gone back even if he didn't sue them or write the nasty things he did about them in his book, but the latter definitely sealed his fate in regards to any future with the Eagles. If you do the crime, you do the time, and I think that fits here. I certainly wish I could have seen the band with Felder, and I wish he wasn't fired. But he bears all of the blame here. You can't expect to get away with the kinds of things he did and just think it will all be rainbows and sunshine. After awhile, whining gets old and very, very tiresome. I can understand the band.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Austin and FF I could not agree more. Sadly, Don is not over it and never will be. And, he knows that for most of the past 18 years there was a Court Order preventing the two parties from contacting and speaking to each other. In fact, according to Don H., the case was still in litigation as late as 2013. Don could easily say "no comment" or something along the line of "that was 18 years ago and I don't want to discuss it". Instead, he keeps giving the same response about trying to reach Don and Glenn and getting no response when he knows they were prevented from doing so. I am surprised he still talks about getting back in the band. As others have said, if things were that bad and he was treated so horribly, why would you want to go back again ?

Don is a talented musician and he seems to be happy with his band and his life. Good for him. He has to know/realize that Don Henley will never speak to him. You cannot write a tell all book trashing your band mates and expected to be welcomed with open arms. I read Don 's book and his whiny "poor me" attitude got on my nerves. He condemned his band mates for their behavior and drug use when he was doing the same thing. I am sure none of them were nice to be around then. Drugs and alcohol bring out the worst in people and it did with all of them.

Agreed NKIT.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Yes, NKIT, I wasn't meaning to pick at an old wound, and I'm sorry now that I mentioned it. I guess I am tired of the old mantra : "they won't talk to me", and was dismayed to see it again. But Delilah is right, I am not educated in all of Felder's pursuits, and may have the wrong impression . I'm sorry about that. He just needs to be aware that these interviews are all that most folks get from him. I think that minimizing such comments would serve him well. Best Wishes to all. I'm done.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, as I said in another thread, there is no need for any of us to be sorry for expressing our thoughts about this. As long as Felder keeps commenting, then fans will keep responding. Whatever the truth is, ITA agree that no comments at all would serve Felder best because continuing to comment does make it appear that he has not gotten over it. In his book, he even writes that going back to the mid-90's that even his then-wife, Susan, kept encouraging him to 'get over it' and he was unable to accept her advice.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I agree Dreamer. No one should feel bad for what they said (NKIT, FF, me, etc).

And good point about Susan and the book.

Don has never been able to get over it. To use a David Geffen term, he's a malcontent. He wasn't going to be happy unless everything went his way. His acting the way he did at the Cranston benefit certainly led to the breakup of the band (at the very least, it definitely affected it), and I don't think the guys wanted that to happen again and no one wants to be around someone who doesn't know when to drop it and move on.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

A "perhaps even I did something wrong" could be a nice opening for trying to get back together, but this seems to still be in the "I've forgiven them" phase. I've seen no signs of self-reflection at least in public.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    A "perhaps even I did something wrong" could be a nice opening for trying to get back together, but this seems to still be in the "I've forgiven them" phase. I've seen no signs of self-reflection at least in public.
    I think he's too proud to do that. He's not too proud to beg for his job back, but too proud to admit it was likely his fault or at least a big part of it was his fault. Or at least be man enough to say "I messed up".

And TBH, I wouldn't want him to join the current "band". I think that'd be another slap in the face to Glenn. And while I might not like Don Henley, I think he probably realizes that it wouldn't be the right thing to do either, let alone any of his own beefs with DF. Henley probably hates him as much as Glenn did, so there's that. But even if Henley liked him now, I'd like to think he'd realize it would be a mistake to do that.

Also, my opinion of Steuart Smith has grown over the years. I think he deserved/deserves to be in the band. He paid his dues. Does he sound exactly like Felder, no. But he more than plays the part and he really is a terrific musician. I would like to meet Stu and pick his brain about what he's used with the Eagles over the years. I think we need a Steuart Smith appreciation thread at some point with pictures and where we talk about his involvement in the band in a positive light. I think he's as much of an Eagle now as DF was. Obviously, not everyone agrees and that's fine. And he certainly was never billed as one, even with Glenn.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger