Page 84 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3474808182838485868788 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Well, it was short, so I managed to read it. I remember reading that the talkbox parts weren't part of his initial demo.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I don't have time to read it right now, but does he say that he wrote the talkbox melodies in Those Shoes? I seem to recall reading that he wrote them with Joe. But I could be wrong.
    Yep.

He remembered creating all the parts, including the talkbox sections, then he “put it on a reel with a bunch of other song ideas for The Long Run and turned it in.”
    I kinda remembered that too. But Don is a master revisionist, so I shouldn't be surprised.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Well, it was short, so I managed to read it. I remember reading that the talkbox parts weren't part of his initial demo.
    Yep I agree with you.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I checked Don's book and I'm a bit confused. He says he wrote all the music except Joe's solo, but then he says that they added the talk-box stuff later.
    "For Those Shoes, which was accepted, I wrote most of the music - drum parts, bass, and guitar parts - except the solo, which was Joe's. I wrote it as a demo and gave it to Don and Glenn, and we added talk-box guitars and beefed it up a little."

Page 198, Heaven And Hell

Out on the Border RushFanForever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    So while this is an Eagles topic, I wanted to post it here because my problem with it is directly with Don Felder.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-those-shoes/

He really cannot stop giving himself credit. "I created all the parts", "I wanted to write something Joe and I could play on" (gee, where have we heard that before?!), etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Yep, I'm with you on that chaim. He tends to beat a dead horse. And it's an incorrect implication at that.
    Speaking of which, I think Don Felder should listen to this 'Guns N' Roses' song here for inspiration.

Sometimes I feel like Don's beatin' a dead horse
    And I don't know why he'd be bringin' me down
    I'd like to think that Don's love of song credits is worth a tad more
    It may sound funny but you'd think by now
    Don would be smilin'
    I guess some things never change
    Never change
    Last edited by RushFanForever; 06-18-2019 at 10:27 AM.

I checked Don's book and I'm a bit confused. He says he wrote all the music except Joe's solo, but then he says that they added the talk-box stuff later.
    "For Those Shoes, which was accepted, I wrote most of the music - drum parts, bass, and guitar parts - except the solo, which was Joe's. I wrote it as a demo and gave it to Don and Glenn, and we added talk-box guitars and beefed it up a little."

Page 198, Heaven And Hell
    He seriously needs to get his story straight. How anyone can take his word at this point is beyond me.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by RushFanForever View Post
    Speaking of which, I think Don Felder should listen to this 'Guns N' Roses' song here for inspiration.

Sometimes I feel like Don's beatin' a dead horse
    And I don't know why he'd be bringin' me down
    I'd like to think that Don's love of song credits is worth a tad more
    It may sound funny but you'd think by now
    Don would be smilin'
    I guess some things never change
    Never change
    Hahaha that’s perfect and oh so true.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

In this recent interview Don mainly discusses his new album. What is really interesting is that it appears Joe was close to being part of it! That would have caused some real buzz—and possibly some heads to explode, LOL.

Your song “Limelight” – not the Rush song, of course – but your song “Limelight” on this album features not one, but two brilliant guitar players – Richie Sambora who you mentioned, and actually you mentioned Orianthi as well. Tell me a little bit about this one.

When I wrote that I wanted to have a shuffle on this song. And originally, I would have loved to have had (Joe) Walsh play on that track with me because it’s right up his alley. Slide or the shuffle is Joe’s ticket, right. But we couldn’t work out a time and a date to get together to do it, and they (The Eagles) were on the road, and I was in the studio, and then I was on the studio and they were back. And so it was just next to impossible to be able to do that. So, I kept thinking, who else can I get to play on a shuffle, that’s right up their alley. And Sambora jumped into my mind, so I called Richie and he said, “Yeah, sure, come on out to my house...
    https://classicsdujour.com/class-axe...st-of-friends/

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    In this recent interview Don mainly discusses his new album. What is really interesting is that it appears Joe was close to being part of it! That would have caused some real buzz—and possibly some heads to explode, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Felder
    Your song “Limelight” – not the Rush song, of course – but your song “Limelight” on this album features not one, but two brilliant guitar players – Richie Sambora who you mentioned, and actually you mentioned Orianthi as well. Tell me a little bit about this one.

When I wrote that I wanted to have a shuffle on this song. And originally, I would have loved to have had (Joe) Walsh play on that track with me because it’s right up his alley. Slide or the shuffle is Joe’s ticket, right. But we couldn’t work out a time and a date to get together to do it, and they (The Eagles) were on the road, and I was in the studio, and then I was on the studio and they were back. And so it was just next to impossible to be able to do that. So, I kept thinking, who else can I get to play on a shuffle, that’s right up their alley. And Sambora jumped into my mind, so I called Richie and he said, “Yeah, sure, come on out to my house...
    https://classicsdujour.com/class-axe...st-of-friends/

Indeed. I hope Joe wasn't just using his schedule as an excuse!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

I genuinely don't like thinking like this, but Felder has an incredible ability for being economic with the truth. He and Joe haven't spoken, to the best of my knowledge, for 18 years. I know Glenn's passing will have had an impact on how they all perceived their relationships but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just Felder asking and Joe saying 'Sorry' outright. I can't believe, with all the wonders of technology and transport, that being on a relatively slowed-paced tour for a couple of years has put Joe out for the count.

Again, not to be cynical - I honestly hope I am wrong!