Page 9 of 92 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    It doesn't discuss him, and I can't find the thread about the Soundtracks of Summer Tour in general, and I'm late for a meeting.... But he's on tour with these guys, so he should have been mentioned.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/styx-...edium=referral
    Don's name is mentioned in the article, as being on tour with them, but the buses that were on fire were from Styx & Foreigner....Luckily they were empty the the time & nobody was hurt..

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Don's name is mentioned in the article, as being on tour with them, but the buses that were on fire were from Styx & Foreigner....Luckily they were empty the the time & nobody was hurt..
    Thanks, TK, I only skimmed it since it was 8:26 and my meeting was 8:30!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Here's another interview with the usual stuff but expanded a little.

http://www.heraldextra.com/entertain...d02072c00.html

I've got to say that it annoyed me a little that he's claiming to be such a big part of the Eagles sound. As I'm someone who loved the Eagles from 1972 -1975, for me the true Eagles sound has nothing to do with Don Felder and if anything, he's to blame for some of their worst efforts in later years.

I was beginning to warm to Felder and I still think he was given a raw deal, but I'm back to believing that he must have been difficult to work with.

Stuck on the Border

Once again we have the lie that Hotel California was the lead single from the album. It was the second single. Once again we have the lavish praise of Henley & the ignoring of Frey except to imply that the Lone Arranger term which was used for Frey should apparently have been used for Felder, since he seems to have done absolutely everything. If you look at his actual songwriting credits with the Eagles there are not actually many of them for him to claim all this stuff. We were told in HOTE that most of the stuff he wrote was not used.

I try to stay away from commenting on Felder these days but his ego & his complete lack of modesty or ability to accept that any of his bandmates have any talent (except Henley) will always put me off.

And I don't think Road To Forever sounds like an Eagles album. For a start, to use an analolgy which seems to be the only one Felder understands, it does not have any lead vocals by Don Henley on it.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Here's another interview with the usual stuff but expanded a little.

http://www.heraldextra.com/entertain...d02072c00.html

I've got to say that it annoyed me a little that he's claiming to be such a big part of the Eagles sound. As I'm someone who loved the Eagles from 1972 -1975, for me the true Eagles sound has nothing to do with Don Felder and if anything, he's to blame for some of their worst efforts in later years.

I was beginning to warm to Felder and I still think he was given a raw deal, but I'm back to believing that he must have been difficult to work with.
    I have to disagree on that he wasn't a big part of their guitar sound. To me they will always be a guitar band and I love Bernie but Bernie's guitar sound is not what I think of when I think of the Eagles guitar sound. For me that will always be Don Felder and Joe Walsh. Their guitar sound only improved as time went on (with the addition of Joe) for what I like to hear - which is bluesy rock. That said, Don Felder is not the sole man responsible for their sound, but to say he had nothing at all to do with it isn't fair either. His guitar sound is instantly recognizable to me, much like a signature. Within a couple of notes of him playing anything I can tell it's Don Felder by his signature phrasing, tone, and licks. Same goes for Mr. Walsh.

And I don't understand what you mean by that he's to blame for their worst songs in the later period, AFAIK he only contributed songwriting to HC and VOL and sang Visions. I certainly don't blame him at all for the iffy at best songs on The Long Run album.

Stuck on the Border

I didn't say that Felder wasn't a big part of the guitar sound in later records. The Eagles sound was about a lot more than guitars and (imo) something was lost when they went for the heavier guitars of later years. What's annoying about that writer and the interview is it gives the impression that Felder provided the bedrock of the Eagles sound with Henley (mostly) and Frey just providing vocals and lyrics for the music that Felder came up with. In doing so they ignore all the work that was done before Felder joined the band, even though he still plays some of those earlier songs in his set. They also ignore the contributions of Bernie and Randy.

Whilst I appreciate songs like VOL and Those Shoes work well live, I've always thought they are pretty clunky on record. Visions is the worst track on the One of These Nights album and Disco Strangler is the worst Eagles track of all time. I do like Too Many Hands.

To each their own. I've always consider Those Shoes and VOL highly underrated and I much prefer them to their early Bluegrassy years of songs like Earlybird and Tequila Sunrise, etc.

I do agree the interview was incorrect and that it came across wrong, but I feel the interviewer is just as guilty, personally.

Stuck on the Border

I agree that a lot of the fault lies with the writer but Don does nothing to correct him.

Yes, the writer was really sycophantic and asking Felder leading questions. I agree that Felder should have been more proactive in correcting him, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I only read about 2/3 of it. I'm just speechless.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.