Page 90 of 92 FirstFirst ... 408086878889909192 LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

I have no doubt that Don lip syncs a lot, but I find it very hard to belive that he fakes any of his guitar playing. Additional guitar tracks? Maybe. Not playing his regular parts live? I'd have to see it to believe it. Even if I saw it I would probably question my eyesight for a minute. 😅

This is an interview with David Myhre, a guitarist in Don Felder’s band who talks a bit about working with Don. David has played with other notable artists and has recorded his own solo material.

"It’s reaffirmed when you play with musicians that you idolized growing up, too. Seeing their approach and philosophy helps you to feel like you’re on the right path.”

We haven’t talked about Don Felder yet. Was that the case with him?

“Yeah, for sure. He has such a sound and style. It is just like ear candy. It has feel, it’s got articulation, you can sing what he’s playing. I’m such a melody guy and I love crazy fast riffs and he’s the perfect blend of all those worlds. It’s what I’ve always taken to as a listener. I think it’s the singer/songwriter side of me – then your playing starts mirroring that.

“We’re playing Hotel California, all these songs from the Eagles catalogue and you can sing those solos. Everybody knows every lyric, every part. It also helped me, when I was onstage, to be like, ‘OK, this is the feeling that you’re trying to chase’, or ‘I need a song like Heartache Tonight that gets people off their seat.’”

You got the gig after you sat in with Felder during a soundcheck jam in Nashville. What do you think helped you to land that job?

“A lot of it was that he saw some of my improv playing and, like I say, saw we were cut from a similar cloth as players. I think that was the biggest thing. The blues and rock background was something that he connected with. I also really rehearsed the songs and dived into the live arrangements, the original recordings - all the details, articulation - and really tried to embody the parts.

"There was no fooling him, so it was like method acting. I had to really immerse myself into that music and that catalogue. Over the years, I’ve definitely gotten more comfortable and perfected parts and, looking back now, it was a lot of gradual learning.”

Does Don Felder let you play his guitars?
    “He has an insane guitar collection. It’s awesome. Just recently, we added a couple of Les Pauls into my rig that are ‘59 Reissues that he has, so you get spoiled really fast. It’s also been really awesome just seeing what kind of pick he plays with. He has like a nylon pick, which has the grip on it. That’s a big part of his sound, how that pick grabs the string. If you go back and listen to some of the stuff now, you’ll catch that.
    David Myhre: “There was no fooling Don Felder. It was like method acting - I had to really immerse myself” by Matt Parker, Guitar World, April 16, 2020

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Bumping the thread since the last post got kind of lost with the recent board issues.

So Don and his gal Diane McInerney have split apparently....Hopefully when covid cools off maybe they can reunite. It doesn’t sound like a real break up....but just a sign of how crazy covid is interfering with everyone’s business....and keep in mind it’s the dailymail soooo....a little tabloidish

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ngagement.html

Aw, that’s too bad. I wonder if she gave back the ring. Some people in the comments are guessing she didn’t want to sign the pre-nup.

Well, I guess I had wishful thinking...not sure what to make of this, haven't seen the actual posts...., and my daughter said Instagram stories only stay for 24 hours...so is he at it again with cryptic public comments after a breakup ? Didn't he do something similar with Kathrin?

https://popculture.com/celebrity/new...ane-mcinerney/

Don is a passive-aggressive person. His comments and cryptic messages are not to be surprising. This is typical Felder. Love him, hate him. It's like saying grass is green. Some stuff just can't be argued. That doesn't make him a terrible person or in any way take away from his wonderful talents as a guitarist/writer and his great achievements in music, but it can make him unlikable or exhausting/draining to be around.

Not only did he do that with Kathrin, he had to write a nasty little "one upping" song on Road To Forever called "You Don't Have Me" about our guys. He did it over the KCH awards. He's just passive about it rather than being forward and confident about it, or better yet, keeping the dirty laundry out of the spotlight. He would be the type to make cryptic messages because he doesn't have the personality to take responsibility or take risk and make a bold statement about anything. If Geffen thought Don Henley was a malcontent (and I agree wholeheartedly!), Felder is a double malcontent. But he bundles with it his woe-is-me I'm-the-victim stuff. He would be exhausting to be friends with, let alone in a romantic relationship with. Not to mention trying to be his business partner like our guys were. Nothing is EVER his fault, he's always innocent. This is the stuff Glenn and DH had to deal with from '74-'80 and '94-'00 and finally said "see ya!". I have no doubt Kathrin and Diane did the same. And his wife Susan. Who he excused away his infidelity as being this helpless guy, almost a rape victim from the way he makes it sound as if he had no control over that stuff. I'm not Susan, but even as a guy who's never met the man, that was just so lame to read in his book. At least own it, even a little bit. And you just wonder if he doesn't still talk about those "gods" in the Eagles that stole his gig away from him with his partner(s). He seems, at least on the surface, like an injustice collector, which is a bad trait to have. That doesn't necessarily mean he would be a criminal, lol, but it's highly suggestive of someone who has the personality type that could remember every little thing he thinks someone did wrongly to him and not let it go. But not everyone tries to enact revenge. Don probably still whines and makes little digs, but doesn't necessarily look for ways to seriously malign them after the fact.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I think the previous "cryptic" messages were worse - when Don and his ex were quoting songs by someone who had just died. Nice way to remember an old friend (or acquintance). These new ones are harsh too, when people know who he's talking about, but I don't find them quite as ugly.
    Last edited by chaim; 11-06-2020 at 11:00 AM. Reason: making it less negative

Walshfan88, wow don’t hold back I agree 100%, except maybe on the criminal aspect...ooof! I also thought the last post mentioned had to do with the Eagles Diss track/Road to Forever “You Don’t Have Me” And then he puts a play on words to Repurpose it For relationship, or just to slam Eagles since he’s in a mood? Idk. I just don’t get why he has to go through the trouble making these things public, especially relationship wise. His book was very passive aggressive and didn’t help his case in my opinion. And how he conducts himself on social media at times doesn’t help either. I guess I’m naive thinking that maybe at his age he would’ve finally outgrew that, but it’s a character trait so...and he did fess up somewhat to his days on the road “activities“ in his defense.

Chaim, ya that is pretty bad, so maybe he did mature a little?

His attitude is a darn shame, he is ultra talented but dang, exhausting isn’t the word. I am full aware nobody is perfect, and we all do things/say things out of anger, etc. Yet, I do believe he may be a rare breed of passive aggressive/ covert narcissist.

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    Well, I guess I had wishful thinking...not sure what to make of this, haven't seen the actual posts...., and my daughter said Instagram stories only stay for 24 hours...so is he at it again with cryptic public comments after a breakup ? Didn't he do something similar with Kathrin?

https://popculture.com/celebrity/new...ane-mcinerney/
    Yes he did with Kathrin. It was around the time Tom Petty had died. Either he or Kathrin quoted a line from one of Tom's songs. We thought it was a strange IG post, but it looks like they had broke up. I don't remembered the media saying anything about it. I didn't even know he and Kathrin had brokeb up until Don got engaged to Diane.

TO tell the truth. I'm really not surprised he and Diane broke up.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley