Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: before the bands

Out on the Border

Default before the bands

I thought it might be interesting for some to hear a remembrance of Glenn Frey before he started playing in rock bands. I was in the the high school band at Dondero in Royal Oak at the same time he was. I didn't know him personally, but knew of him, he was a year ahead of me and lived nearby. He played in the marching band and was known as somewhat of a prodigy. I am not sure, but think he played a wind instument-sax? I recall overhearing a conversation between the band director-a Mr. Parker-and another student-I think the drum major named Dallas-about Glenn. He was quitting the marching band, which was quite grueling, to give more time to his interest in a rock'n roll band. Mr. Parker expressed disappointment and I believe he said that Glenn would probably regret his choice someday, because of his potential as a musician. I think this stuck with me because it was kind of scandalous and unique for that time and place. It was a decidedly nonconformist decision for the Leave it to Beaver generation. There was something happening and the best part was just over the horizon. I think now that it was the feeling of confirming the cultural change that was going on-something about the power of the new and unusual music that belonged to the kids-Glenn was making a choice, as a kid, that resonated in some way with everyone in that circle. I think that this was in 1964.

Default Re: before the bands

Thanks so much for posting that story, yrsago. I love to hear stories of Glenn in his very young days, but they are few & far between.

Welcome to the Border!!!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yrsago View Post
    Mr. Parker expressed disappointment and I believe he said that Glenn would probably regret his choice someday, because of his potential as a musician. .
    Yeah, I bet he really regrets that move!!

Thanks for the recollection yrsago!! And welcome to the Border!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Welcome from me too! Thanks for the story.

Yeah, that Glenn Frey never amounted to much after he quit the marching band!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Great story! Thanks for sharing Welcome to the Border!

...welcome..and thanks for your story............post more!!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Great story!! I too would guess that Glenn deeply regretted that decision to leave the marching band. But fair dues to Mr Parker recognising Glenn's potential as a musician.

Welcome to the Board from me too.

ps Did he look as hot then as he does now?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Cute story, yrsago, and welcome to The Border! I love hearing stories like this! But I have to agree with the others that Mr. Parker's comment was pretty bizarre. You don't see too many marching bands topping the charts.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

not so bizarre, sodascouts. Glenn played several instruments and was in the orchestra as well. He was quitting band to focus on guitar, which was not a popular instrument with Midwest band directors of the early 60's and certainly not one Mr. Parker considered a talented student to have a future with. He was also an important member and his spot needed to be filled. Dondero's marching band at that time was almost a professional endeavor, well known and played halftime annually at a Lions game, for which we practiced all season, starting in summer.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well this talented student had (and is still having) a great future with his guitar. Though I guess Mr Parker Didn't have a crystal ball at the time!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP