Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey Music Video Survivor

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn Frey Music Video Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Lamorna View Post
    'The Shadow of Your Smile' is my vote.

I've not seen any of these solo videos before so I watched each one and made notes and scored marks out of ten! This got 3/10 on my first viewing and I stuck with this on the second viewing because I don't enjoy seeing and hearing old rockers turn all schmaltzy and sing these golden oldies. I don't like seeing Rod Stewart do it and didn't enjoy seeing Glenn do it either.
    I'm sorry you feel that way. There is more to both song & video than the fact that the song is an oldie & as for turning schmaltzy, I find that harsh. Glenn had a lot of reasons for making the After Hours album, one of which was that he wanted to pay tribute to the music his parents enjoyed. If that is schmaltzy then so be it, I suppose.

Kingston, don't feel bad about missing that. We look forward to you playing next time!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

love in the 21st century

No question I vote for Love in the 21st Century and Soda that AV is positively freaky!

'The Shadow of Your Smile' is my vote.
    This got 3/10 on my first viewing and I stuck with this on the second viewing because I don't enjoy seeing and hearing old rockers turn all schmaltzy and sing these golden oldies. I don't like seeing Rod Stewart do it and didn't enjoy seeing Glenn do it either.
    Lamorna, you and I are on the same page as far as your comments here. I didn't post my view (much) about After Hours after it came out because I certainly didn't want to be a downer in a celebratory thread for the new album from Glenn. But this is different. This is a game in which I have been invited to post my opinion about all of these videos, and now I can freely explain that I don't like hearing Glenn sings these songs. I simply do not like that style of music, and the fact that he did it for his parents is very nice, but doesn't change my opinion of these songs and these videos. It's bad enough when I hear Frank Sinatra or Michael Buble or Harry Connick, Jr. singing these songs, but it's even worse for me when I hear rockers who I grew up listening to, such as Linda Ronstadt, Rod Stewart, Paul McCartney and Glenn Frey do them. I certainly understand Lamorna's description of 'schmaltzy'. I feel like they sold out.

That being said, my list actually has Love in the 21st Century at the very bottom. But, since it's going down with no help from me, I can set my sights on bigger fish. Therefore...

I vote for Route 66.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanny Twisted View Post
    love in the 21st century
    Hey - no cheating Missy ... one vote per round please!

I have to say, I'm not at all surprised that LIT21stC will be the first to be eliminated. However, unlike many of you, I don't think it is horrible. To repeat what I've said before, while it's certainly not my favorite, I actually think the video is entertaining and creative. Even if it is pervy, it does a good job of illustrating the message of the song, IMHO.

Now, as far as the After Hours album as a whole, I am on the fence on my feeling about it. I don't hate it by any means, but it is definitely my least favorite of all of Glenn's solo albums. As far as I'm concerned, many of Glenn's solo songs are superior to a lot of the songs on After Hours, so I'd much rather see him write and record his own material. I do think Glenn's vocal delivery is incredible on the album, and the sentimental side of me loves that he recorded it for his parents. But having said all this, I am going to judge the merit of the actual videos in this game, and will try not to let my overall feelings about the album influence how I vote.

In keeping with my usual practice, I am going to wait a while longer before casting my vote.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Love In The 21st Century!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

I am wondering if the word Schmaltzy has a more insulting meaning in USA translation as it isn't seen as offensive here? I apologise if it does.
    Freypower, who is the only one so far who found "schmaltzy" harsh, is from Australia.

I hope you don't let that stop you from playing. Just think of it as lively debate. Your thoughts on these videos are as interesting as anyone else's, and I enjoy the game even if I don't agree with others' assessments. Let's all have fun and learn something about each other!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Just my 2 cents on the After Hours album--- LOVE, LOVE , LOVE this type of music and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE artist like Buble and Connick and anyone who covers them also, including Stewart and Glenn. But I can completely understand why some wouldn't and I feel 'schmaltzy' is a very good description for it. Lamorna says she doesn't like SEEING or HEARING them while she was VIEWING the videos-- which is what this game is about. So this....
    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I find that harsh. Glenn had a lot of reasons for making the After Hours album, one of which was that he wanted to pay tribute to the music his parents enjoyed. If that is schmaltzy then so be it, I suppose.
    doesn't make sense to me because I don't feel the reason why Glenn made the After Hours album has anything to do with a Glenn Frey Music Video Survivor game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamorna
    I don't want to upset anyone.
    No reason to feel this way. What you said in any of this thread shouldn't have upset anyone. You stated your opinion and that's what this board is about. Please don't let this discourage you. Most of us don't offend very easily.

And for the record, not that it matters, I agree with Dreamer here..
    Quote Originally Posted by I've always been a dreamer
    Now, as far as the After Hours album as a whole, I am on the fence on my feeling about it. I don't hate it by any means, but it is definitely my least favorite of all of Glenn's solo albums. As far as I'm concerned, many of Glenn's solo songs are superior to a lot of the songs on After Hours, so I'd much rather see him write and record his own material. I do think Glenn's vocal delivery is incredible on the album, and the sentimental side of me loves that he recorded it for his parents. But having said all this, I am going to judge the merit of the actual videos in this game, and will try not to let my overall feelings about the album influence how I vote.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

I'm late with my vote and at this rate I'm almost better off refraining. I have always liked LIT21stC as a song and don't mind the video. Additionally I don't wish to incur the wrath of the ardent After Hours defenders (I am completely with dreamer when it comes to my feelings about the album).

So I'll just go out of left field for a video I don't like - The One You Love.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.