Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey Music Video Survivor

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Results of Round 3: I've got mine, but I've got to go

The next video to be eliminated from the Glenn Frey Music Video Survivor is I’ve Got Mine. “I’ve Got Mine”, hope your mind in on some sandy beach where the sun is gonna shine cause the tribe has spoken. You can’t hang around here, so make your travel plans, Please leave the island immediately.

Votes
    I’ve Got Mine – 7
    Route 66 – 4
    Some Kind of Blue – 2
    Livin’ Right – 1
    The Heat Is On – 1

Vote Breakdown
    I’ve Got Mine – GlennLover
    I’ve Got Mine – Freypower
    I’ve Got Mine – UndertheWire
    I’ve Got Mine – Houston Baby
    I’ve Got Mine – prayfordaylight
    I’ve Got Mine – shunlvswx
    I’ve Got Mine – Glennsallnighter
    Route 66 – TimothyBFan
    Route 66 – sad-café
    Route 66 – Prettymaid
    Route 66 – UK Timfan
    Some Kind of Blue – Tiffanny Twisted
    Some Kind of Blue – Ive always been a dreamer
    Livin’ Right – Brooke
    The Heat Is On – sodascouts

Songs eliminated:
    Love in the 21st Century 10/29
    The Shadow of Your Smile 10/31
    I've Got Mine 11/2

Songs remaining:
    I Found Somebody
    The One You Love
    Sexy Girl
    Smuggler's Blues
    The Heat Is On
    You Belong to the City
    True Love
    Livin' Right
    Soul Searchin'
    Some Kind of Blue
    Part of Me, Part of You
    River of Dreams
    Route 66

Voting for Round Three begins now.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn Frey Music Video Survivor

I don't have to wait; Livin' Right.

I feel like the lone voice, crying in the wilderness...

But I keep on.

The "Livin' Right" video is a bit cheesy but it does have some hilarious moments, like when Glenn is passed up on the track by an old lady and a kid - the look on his face is priceless - and when he's caught with the french fries and has to have them wrested from his hands. I also crack up at his nightmare with the fitness dominatrices after he passes out from over-exertion (LOL). He's adorable during the basketball parts as well, in his Miami Heat gear.

Keep your eyes peeled for Cindy Frey (then Millican) in the purple leotard! They met doing this video.

Definitely more entertaining than a certain video filled with movie clips...

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

some kind of blue

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I vote for Route 66

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamorna View Post
    Just to say I did vote for Route 66 to go in this last round on the 30th October but my name isn't down on the final score. It doesn't make any difference to the result but I did vote didn't I? Or didn't it count because I didn't put 'I vote for....' before the title of the song?
    Lamorna - I don't see where you casted a vote in Round 3. If your last vote was on October 30th, that would have counted for Round 2, which ended at 8:00 p.m. EST on October 31st.

I vote again for Route 66

I have 3 favorites but I am not going to say yet because I seem to jinx them.

I find "The One You Love" to be quite well-done. It's not your typical "act out a love story" video but rather an artistic approach that works on a higher level.

Look at the way the people are posed and the striking and/or high contrast colors used; the deliberate artificiality of the construct so that you understand that all of this is really only happening in his head. In the end, when the camera pulls back to reveal the actual stage itself, you get an additional layer of meta-commentary on the whole idea of the construct - ie, he's deluded about her; her love is an illusion, just like the video.

We start out in blackness, with nothing but Glenn and a sax player in spotlights. This minimalist approach would be boring if that's all there was to it, but it serves to introduce the surrealistic, artificial nature of what's coming.

At 1:00, with the woman in black on the bold red covers, you get the beginnings of the "plot" but again laid out very artistically. The camera pulls back to reveal a room with modernist lines and an eerie landscape portrait on the back wall; Glenn is revealed in the corner, commenting on the scene with anguish but not a part of it. Again, it's designed to look artificial; all of this is happening in the mind. The drama of the colors chosen reflects the drama of what's happening.

At 1:30, we flash back to the room with the spotlight, and now she's in it with the other man. This room represents the narrator's most basic emotional response, which is why it's so minimalistic, and why we keep returning here.

One of my favorite parts is around 2:15, when he and the woman are dancing in front of a painting that's an ironic representation of "nature" in that it uses unnatural coloring with dream-like smoke wafting up. She swirls between the two partners just as she's swirling between the men in her indecisive mind. It's also a call back to the portrait in the bedroom. This is the only part of the video where Glenn actively engages with the women rather than just watching sadly, and it seems to denote the beginning of the end.

2:39 makes that clear with the scene in the car. What could be more of an artificial construct than a convertible in wintry, barren landscape? Again, the bright painted backdrop serves to emphasize how surreal this all is. Glenn is left "out in the cold" indeed, warming himself by a poor man's fire. Since all of this is taking place in his head, it represents a manifestation of his feelings of isolation and neglect in a very artistic way.

When Glenn looks at that camera at 3:24 and sings straight to it, which is really the only time he does so, you can tell he's got that acting talent because he sells that pain and vulnerability completely.

Probably the most striking shot visually is the last one I referenced earlier at 3:51, with all of the players posed in the bedroom as the camera pulls back. The stripes on the floor give a feeling of elongation to the room that adds another surrealistic element.

All of this is actually very sophisticated, but you do have to observe carefully to appreciate it. Just characterizing it as, in essence, "scenes of love lorn Glenn" reduces it to its most simplistic level and misses all the carefully crafted artistic nuances that went into making this video.

I encourage anyone who didn't notice these things to watch it again, this time focusing on its visual arrays and aesthetics. If you still can't appreciate its aesthetic value, fair enough, but give it a chance.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Well done analysis of TOYL video, Soda. Although, I like the song a lot, I'm not as big of a fan of it as some of you here. However, I agree that the video is very creative, sophisticated, and artistic. To me, it is so well done, it actually enhances the song for me. Whenever a video can achieve that for me, it's a winner in my book!

I also want to comment on the Livin' Right video. Although I agree that it may be a bit cheesy, I also find it very enjoyable viewing. I love Glenn's humor in it, and I also appreciate the dancing choreography. It's a really good contrast and backdrop for the humorous scenes, and together they create a very entertaining story for me.

I'm going to wait to cast my vote to see how this round shapes out. If previous votes mean anything, it seems like Route 66 may be destined to go down next. But, it's hard to say at this point.

I vote Some Kind of Blue. I love the song but I think the video drags & I can't stand the girl & the alligator.