Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Freezes Over: Your Favourite Moments!

Default Hell Freezes Over: Your Favourite Moments!

I watched my "Hell Freezes Over" DVD again last night, and I enjoyed it so much that it got me thinking about all my favourite moments in this marvellous show. The idea then dawned on me to ask all of you what YOUR favourite moments are. I will list a few of mine now (and I apologise in advance for any Glenn bias that I may show in doing so! ):

1. Joe Walsh and Don Felder's magical guitar solos on "Hotel California"
    (Marco, I know you will enjoy that moment too! )
    2. Those first close-ups of Don Henley singing "Hotel California". He looks
    great , but there's a look of uncertainty in his eyes as he sings -
    probably a few nerves - that I find very endearing.
    3. The first close-ups of Glenn as he
    sings "Tequila Sunrise"... oh my goodness,
    gracious me... The camera person (note my political correct-
    ness here ) must have been a Glenn fan, as note how
    much closer Glenn's close-ups are than any other
    Eagle's! Mrs Frey is not complaining...
    4. "The Heart Of The Matter". Don Henley's vocal is pure magic, and this
    is such a beautiful song. It often brings me to tears. I love the vocal
    harmonies, particularly when the boys sing "Forgiveness". And check
    out Glenn's intensity as he sings it!
    5. "Help Me Through The Night". Joe's finest song and vocal in HFO, in my
    humble opinion. Joe looks great in HFO, by the way . When they
    do the last "ooh ooh" to end the song, check out Glenn's expression -
    closed, intense eyes, furrowed brow, open mouth... Help me
    through the night, indeed...
    6. "Love Will Keep Us Alive". This is such a beautiful song, which Timothy
    sings equally beautifully. WOW.
    7. "The Girl From Yesterday". GLENN . Enough said.
    8. "Get Over It". I absolutely love Don Henley's vocal, and this is one of
    my favourite songs in HFO, and probably one of my all-time Eagles
    favourites. It ROCKS, literally, especially with those three blistering
    guitar solos from Frey, Walsh and Felder. Glenn's intro and first
    solo is breathtaking, and so is his performance... oh, my gosh...
    He's probably at his sexiest here...
    9. I think I'd better finish off now! And what better way to do it than with
    the final song on HFO: "Desperado". One of Don Henley's finest vocals,
    and he does it just as well here as on the original record. I love the way
    he holds the note on "You better let somebody lo-o-o-ove you" at the
    end - it kind of makes my heart ache. Then there's Glenn on
    piano... and those elegant fingers... and that intense
    expression...

I think that's about it! Please let me know your special moments!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Nice topic, MF - though I'm sure that tomorrow you will find many more moments and the day after tomorrow even more ...

OK, only a few since I don't have much time while packing my bags

The pre-show moment with Glenn and Joe when Glenn is so nervous and Joe pets his shoulder (though I think Glenn's shirt is butt-ugly )

The pre-show moment in the caravan yard when Glenn says something like "remember, ...?" - his laugh is so typical and so contagious.

The intro to Tequila Sunrise: what Glenn says in that deep voice which is NOT his singing voice and the guitar intro when Glenn turns round and gives Scotty a smile.

Glenn and Don together during the intro to "Learn To Be Still".

The way Glenn looks at Don or at a spot in space - wherever - while sitting at the piano during Don's intro to "New York Minute".

The way Glenn introduces TIE, "...and here is how it all started" - oh my, a favorite of all time!!

The "speech" of Glenn when he thanks his bandmates and the audience - he's still a little nervous, somehow sheepish, but he warmed up to the situation. The way he runs his hand through his hair is too cute. And his smile just priceless.

There are SO MANY more and I have NO TIME
    cu guys!!
    We'll have stars to wish on every single night
    We'll build a fire and make love by candlelight

You're so right, SG. Thanks for this response! Yes, two of your moments are two I forgot, actually. When Glenn is so nervous before the show and Joe tries to reassure him... I LOVE that. The intro to TIE - absolutely! And when Glenn addresses the band before the show, he says: "Good to be witcha - hope I'm witcha all night!", to plenty of laughter! I really enjoy that part too.

I beg to differ, though, regarding his rehearsal shirt - I actually think it's quite nice!

Two more moments: that majestic stance when the boys are rehearsing "Take It Easy", and Glenn says "I'm still hearing a lot of drop-off..."

When Don Henley introduces "New York Minute" - I know which part you're referring to - he looks quite moved as Don talks about their being happy to be friends again. That's a great moment indeed . I can't wait for more responses to this! I'm going to have withdrawal over the weekend. Go safe on your trip, SG!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Good idea, Mrs. F!

All of the moments listed are wonderful, but I think my very favorite of all is when Don is standing at the mic talking before singing Get Over It (I think) and he is playing with his fingers and he says "people ask why we got back together and he kind of laughs and shrugs and says I don't know!" He is just sooooo cute there!

I think this screen cap is of that moment:

https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

1. Joe Walsh and Don Felder's magical guitar solos on "Hotel California"
    (Marco, I know you will enjoy that moment too! )
    Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

I like not only the MTV but all the tour.

DON FELDER is a great guitarist, MORE that the new ADDITIONAL MEMBER
    steuart smith (I think that`s his name)
    Remember when the days were long ...

MARCO

Default Re: Hell Freezes Over: Your Favourite Moments!

The moments you've all named are all so wonderful. That DVD is magnificent, even if it is short on Glenn.

This is such a coincidence, as I was just watching this DVD last night!

I too love the "stance" shot of Glenn while they're rehearsing Take It Easy, and that sweet moment between him and Joe when he looks so tense and Joe pats him on the back. I have no problem with the shirt either... I think it hangs quite nicely.

I always laugh at Don's reaction when Glenn says during the intro to Tequila Sunrise that they probably wrote it on a Wednesday.

MF, what you've said about HOTM goes for me, too. It's so moving a song on its own, but when you add the harmonies of other Eagles and the poignancy of the moment... and I love to pick out Glenn's voice on "forgiveness" because he pronounces it just a bit differently from everyone else. "FERgiveness... FERgiveness..." It really is special to hear them going back and forth like that.

"Help Me Through The Night". Joe's finest song and vocal in HFO, in my humble opinion. Joe looks great in HFO, by the way . When they do the last "ooh ooh" to end the song, check out Glenn's expression - closed, intense eyes, furrowed brow, open mouth... Help me through the night, indeed...
    I also agree about HMTTN! Joe sounds and looks magnificent. As for Glenn - just last night I was struck by that last "ooh-ooh" of the song, the very moment you mentioned, with that expression and that mouth... When you wrote this here I thought "Wow, it's like she read my mind!" I also find Joe's performance on Pretty Maids riveting.

The Girl from Yesterday... oh the hotness!!

SG, that intro to Learn to Be Still always makes me smile, too. I also love the bloopers from that song in the credits. Glenn's laugh!

When Glenn intro's Take It Easy, it always feels like it's time to start having fun! When I first watched it I thought "Finally, an uptempo song!" lol Check out triceps as he plays, too (PLS pointed that out to me lol). I also love that fingers-through-hair moment. It's very sexy.

I love Glenn on the piano at Desperado, and really any other time he is there.

Some others that haven't been mentioned:

1) The opening credits where they show brief shots of them from rehearsals with their names over them. For some reason I really love that brief footage - Joe and Felder playing around, Don with his sunglasses, Tim and his two fingers, Glenn with that great blue shirt and his lips on the mic...

2) The way Don makes this little moan after "Mercedes bends" and the way he sings "sweet summer sweat" in Hotel California - so sexy!

3) The look on Tim's face during I Can't Tell You Why's guitar solo, where he closes his eyes and looks really "into it". Also, when he flings his hair during Wasted Time as he sings "aaah".

4) The way Don goes high on "lost" during the last verse of LITFL.

5) The moment when all the band members kind of congregate at the drums for Life in the Fast Lane. That just screams "Eagles-as-unit" and it just seems so RIGHT.

BTW, I had forgotten two of the moments SG mentioned - the "remember" and the NYM moments - and it gave me an excuse to go back and watch those bits one more time. I have to agree - they're great!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have to agree with just about everything that has been written here. Here are some other 'moments' that come to mind that haven't been mentioned that I love:

- Tim's infamous Are you pukin'?

- Joe talking about wanting to prove that they can still rock.

- Felder talking about getting back into the "Eagles pressure cooker".

- The whole segment with Don working with the orchestra, but particularly at the end when Glenn joins him.

- When Glenn sticks his tongue out at the camera as he is coming out of the trailer.

- When Don comes out of the trailer looking for his partner and calling out "Glenn, Glenn".

- The way Don cut's his eyes over at Glenn during Hotel California, and later how he smiles at Tim.

- The way Don and Glenn look at each other during Tequila Sunrise.

I guess this is enough for right now. I know there are some I missed. You all have inspired me to watch the DVD again.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    - When Don comes out of the trailer looking for his partner and calling out "Glenn, Glenn".
    lol! I put this in my earlier post and then deleted it, thinking folks would think I was silly for finding that moment cute! Glad I'm not the only one.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I really like the looks on Joe's face as he plays Life in the Fast Lane, and the way he plays it with nonchalant control, he makes it look so effortless.

Well I might as well not repeat everything because I agree with everything!

I will say though, that one of my favorite moments is at the end with the bloopers. The look on Don's face when he screws up the song is adorable and Glenn's laugh is SO contagious! I love it!

I totally agree about Joe playing LITFL....it looks SO effortless that it's ridiculous! lol

Ok..I WILL point out some of my fav.'s that others did as well :P

Get Over It - Love the introduction and Don's attitude when he sings. Love how Glenn kinda leans and then steps back as the guitar solo starts after the chorus.

Hotel California - LOOOOVE Don's smile when he looks over at Timothy! Someone also mentioned the insecure/nervous look in his eyes as he was singing and I totally saw the same thing. I loved the little looks between all of them during this song.

Back to LITFL - I too enjoy the little high part that Don does on "lost." i also love the part after all the "life in the fast lane" parts near the end, when he speeds it back up with the drums before the guitar solo's.

I love the entire beginning backstage stuff! Tim mentioning that he's "off to work" and "are you pukin' " are very cute.