Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amway Center, Orlando, FL - 11/23/2013

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Amway Center, Orlando, FL - 11/23/2013

Glald you had a good time HB! And it sounds like others did too and didn't notice Joe's problems. Those pics are great!

Honestly, I do not think the guys should tell people to quit standing or texting. I think they should tell security before the show to take care of it. I would be so humiliated if they did what Glenn did to the lady. How embarrassing! I also think people should be considerate of those behind them. If no one else is standing....there's your cue!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Honestly, I do not think the guys should tell people to quit standing or texting. I think they should tell security before the show to take care of it. I would be so humiliated if they did what Glenn did to the lady. How embarrassing!
    For what it's worth, I completely agree with you, Brooke. It makes me cringe when I read things like this - and it definitely comes off as grumpy and curmudgeonly. It's a shame to have these moments peppered throughout an otherwise fun and heartwarming concert. I think sometimes the guys underestimate the impact a throwaway comment can have on an audience member who has paid a substantial chunk of money to see the band live. If someone wants to check their phone, so be it. It might be a minor irritation, but that's all. As long as she is not severely impacting upon the enjoyment of people around her, what's the problem? She might be checking up on her mother or worried about a son or daughter... I wouldn't use a phone in a concert unless it was an absolute emergency, but I wouldn't judge someone else for doing it, as long as they weren't being disruptive or obnoxious with it.

Anyway. Vent over. To end on a positive note... it sounds like the show was a good one, despite the technical issues. I'm glad those in attendance had a great time. The photos are gorgeous, as usual. I'm loving Don in blue plaid!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Having sat beside people at concerts that texted the entire time, plus taking pictures and posting to Twitter and Instagram, I can tell you it's distracting for everyone. The muttered curses when their fingers hit the wrong keys, the holding of the phone to angle for better light, the elbows jamming into your space so they can hold it. The person in front of me at the last Seger concert held the camera up in my line of view and took pictures, posted to Instagram, then took another over and over again without lowering the camera. Anyway, while I agree the band shouldn't be saying these things, it should come from security, like what happened at this concert, when it happened in Indy, the comment was met with a LOT of applause and even people giving it a standing ovation, including the guy in front of me, with a shout that said, "It's about damn time someone tells them that." So when that get that kind of reaction, they aren't likely to stop making those comments from stage anytime soon.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Having sat beside people at concerts that texted the entire time, plus taking pictures and posting to Twitter and Instagram, I can tell you it's distracting for everyone. The muttered curses when their fingers hit the wrong keys, the holding of the phone to angle for better light, the elbows jamming into your space so they can hold it. The person in front of me at the last Seger concert held the camera up in my line of view and took pictures, posted to Instagram, then took another over and over again without lowering the camera. Anyway, while I agree the band shouldn't be saying these things, it should come from security, like what happened at this concert, when it happened in Indy, the comment was met with a LOT of applause and even people giving it a standing ovation, including the guy in front of me, with a shout that said, "It's about damn time someone tells them that." So when that get that kind of reaction, they aren't likely to stop making those comments from stage anytime soon.
    I agree. I was at a concert on Friday in a theater, and the people on either side of us, (in the third row, no less) texted the entire time. It drove me crazy. However, i find it tough to say something if they aren't drunk and obnoxious. I choose my battles at concerts these days, sadly.

I liked how Glenn handled it the last night at MSG. I believe his comment was "There were no cell phones in 1974". That made me laugh.

I just don't get this ADD world we live in. If I'm at a concert and I'm that close to a performer who I clearly want to see or I wouldn't have spent all that money to be there, the last thing I'm going to be doing is staring into a gadget. It's ridiculous. And I'm sure it's distracting and frustrating to the performers.

As to who should handle it, I don't know. I do know that each night that Glenn said something at MSG, it got a lot of applause from the audience...

I take your point. It's unfair for me to judge this situation because I wasn't there and, if the comments garnered a positive response from the audience, then I guess there was a need to make them. I am still a little uncomfortable with the idea of being "told off" by a performer at a rock concert, though. If Glenn handled things with humour, then that sits better with me... it just makes me nervous when I'm in the first few rows. I would be mortified if I was ever given a "look" or had a negative comment aimed at me at a show.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - I definitely see both sides of this and would prefer that the band didn't make these announcements during shows - it is kind of a downer. It would seem to be better if security would handle it, but, unfortunately, some folks just ignore them whenever they try.

On the other side, I can't speak for the band, but from wherever I'm sitting in the audience, I totally agree that the cell phones are very annoying and distracting. And I also agree that at every show that I've been to where the band addressed it, they received a huge roar of applause from the crowd. So, as VA said, I guess they take that as a seal of approval.

I will also say this - at the last MSG show where the crowd was particularly obnoxious, Glenn specifically addressed the folks sitting in the first 10 rows. Now, many of those folks sitting in the first 10 rows were at the VIP reception. At all of the VIP receptions I attended, an announcement was made there as well. In most cases, the guys will try to show their disapproval in other ways before a public announcement is made. So Troub, I agree with you that I would not want to be on the receiving end of one of those admonishments. However, I don't think you have anything to worry about because you would probably never get called out. The difference is that, unlike the folks that do get chastised, you are an intelligent and respectful fan that can take a hint and would not totally ignore the band's wishes and repeated warnings.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border ClownPrinceLover's Avatar

At the Charlotte show on 11/15, Glen bitched at a lady in the second row for texting! He told her they were getting ready to have the intermission and she needed to wait and text then! I thought he was joking at first but quickly realuzed he was not! He also told someone in the first few rows to sit down! I was like WAAAT????? I thought we were at a rock concert, not the symphony!
    Help me through the night, Mama!

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    So Troub, I agree with you that I would not want to be on the receiving end of one of those admonishments. However, I don't think you have anything to worry about because you would probably never get called out. The difference is that, unlike the folks that do get chastised, you are an intelligent and respectful fan that can take a hint and would not totally ignore the band's wishes and repeated warnings.
    The problem is, even if it's not you, but somebody else who gets chastised, the mood has been broken, and what's worse, it's been broken by a band member of a band you love! Glenn and Don may have every right to make these announcements, but IMO they're not doing themselves any favors.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I totally agree. They need to let security take care of it. If I were being chastised by a band member it would really upset me and leave me feeling humiliated by a band I loved.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Found some videos from the Orlando show.

LBG
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNT1sbjFHkQ[/ame]

HC
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21t-giCwtxQ[/ame]

BOML
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm0kQZYSUnw[/ame]

HT
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3h75zivoWU[/ame]

TIE
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_cWKFt3Neo[/ame]

NKIT
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B_PvV_VpMI[/ame]