Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nelson Mandela

Default Nelson Mandela

Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95...RIP to a true world icon...his legacy will live on in this world forever...

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Nelson Mandela

Thank you for letting us know. A great, great man, who will leave an indelible legacy not only in South Africa but around the world. May he rest in peace.

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

RIP to a great man

I was in South Africa in July when he was near death; people could talk of nothing else. He meant so much to the world, but what he did for that country....

Men like him remind you of what's really important in life; they remind you that one person making a positive contribution can achieve more than 5000 haters full of bitterness and bile.

RIP, Nelson Mandela.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

RIP, Good Sir. I hope we continue to learn from and lead by your example.

As a South African, and one who can remember what Apartheid was like as a child, not fully comprehending or understanding but always having this feeling that things were somehow 'wrong', being angry at some of the things I saw but not knowing it wasn't normal. And then becoming a teen and aware of the world and how different our society was, being in high school in 1990 and watching live on television as Mandela was released from prison, feeling the excitement and knowing change was coming. Voting in the referendum and seeing him elected as our first black president in 1994, watching him pull this country together, remembering 1995 and the rugby world cup, when this country was, for the first time, truly one united family, I loved Mandela for his unyielding message of tolerance and forgiveness and his genuine leadership. Whatever he may or may not have signed off or been aware of in the years of the Apartheid struggle, during his time of leadership in South Africa he was an international icon of peace and reformation and we will never see his like again. He became old, and frail, as do we all eventually, but all of us secretly wished he would live forever.

Rest in peace Madiba. You have truly earned it. You live in our hearts and will be mourned as a family member. Today is a very sad day in this country and perhaps even the world.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGS7SpI7obY[/ame]

Hamba Kahle Tata

I woke up this morning with an attitude
    looked at the headline, put me in a real bad mood

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks for that tribute SJ, from someone who really knows what he did for your country.

RIP, Mr. Mandela.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Steve, I must also thank you for that beautiful & heartfelt tribute.

RIP with God Mr. Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJoburg View Post
    As a South African, and one who can remember what Apartheid was like as a child, not fully comprehending or understanding but always having this feeling that things were somehow 'wrong', being angry at some of the things I saw but not knowing it wasn't normal. And then becoming a teen and aware of the world and how different our society was, being in high school in 1990 and watching live on television as Mandela was released from prison, feeling the excitement and knowing change was coming. Voting in the referendum and seeing him elected as our first black president in 1994, watching him pull this country together, remembering 1995 and the rugby world cup, when this country was, for the first time, truly one united family, I loved Mandela for his unyielding message of tolerance and forgiveness and his genuine leadership. Whatever he may or may not have signed off or been aware of in the years of the Apartheid struggle, during his time of leadership in South Africa he was an international icon of peace and reformation and we will never see his like again. He became old, and frail, as do we all eventually, but all of us secretly wished he would live forever.

Rest in peace Madiba. You have truly earned it. You live in our hearts and will be mourned as a family member. Today is a very sad day in this country and perhaps even the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGS7SpI7obY

Hamba Kahle Tata
    Thanks for that, Steve. I remember when you and your wife were kind enough to take me out as I visited Johannesburg, and you took me to Nelson Mandela Square. Hearing first-hand accounts from people like you really brings it home.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten