Thread: Royalties

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

Default Royalties

I know the subject of royalties has been talked about so I found this interesting.
    There are four (4) categories of royalties.

MECHANICAL ROYALTIES- These are paid to the artist, writer and publisher based on the number of recordings sold.
    PERFORMANCE ROYALTIES- Are paid to the writers and publishers every time their song is performed live or played on the radio.
    SYNCHRONIZATION (SYNCH) ROYALTIES-These are paid to the writer and publisher every time a song in used in a commercial, tv show or movie.
    PRINT ROYALTIES-Are based on the sales of sheet music sold. (Doesn't say who they are paid to)
    I can see why an artist would want to use their own songs. The writers seem to get a bigger share of the royalties.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Royalties

I imagine sheet music royalties go to the songwriters & publishers.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Interesting, thanks AZ. It's a pretty crazy scenario where an artist who makes a song famous wouldn't get paid when the song is played on the radio if they didn't write it!

The "Performance royalty" also supports our collective musings about a former Eagle not being paid if a song he wrote was intentionally not performed on tour. Still, I would think that the royalties paid to a writer every time a song is performed live would be pennies on the dollar. Who knows, though?

Also, there must be a new model in place that contemplates streaming and downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post

The "Performance royalty" also supports our collective musings about a former Eagle not being paid if a song he wrote was intentionally not performed on tour. Still, I would think that the royalties paid to a writer every time a song is performed live would be pennies on the dollar. Who knows, though?

Also, there must be a new model in place that contemplates streaming and downloads.
    With enough pennies, there's bound to be someone who'll bicker over them.
    I just read a business article about the eventual disappearance of the CD as more and more streaming options become available, and the sustainability of that format. It comes down to major artists generating enough revenue for the streaming site, like Spotify, and in turn for themselves for allowing their songs to be made available. The unknown talent may also be available on the same site, but they're lucky if they get enough pennies to cover costs of living, much less producing their material.