Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: learning more about the eagles

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Default learning more about the eagles

So i had a horrible bout of insomnia last night and i decided to update my spotify playlist of the eagles with some live music. and i have to say i absolutely LOVE this band even more now. King of Hollywood i love that song

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: learning more about the eagles

Well SAR - One thing's for sure ... the more you listen to unfamiliar Eagles' music - the more there is to love. And once you're done with that, you'll need to start on each member's solo catalog. Being a hardcore Eagles fan has a lot to offer.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Yes, and the more you know, the more you will WANT to know!

I must say the 'After Hours' CD is incredibly relaxing and I often fall asleep listening to it.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Desperado

I love to listen to the deep cuts from the Eagles Albums. Sometimes I will cobble together a playlist that does NOT include any songs that I have heard live.

You are right, listening to the solo stuff, especially Don and Glenn's is great.

Tim and Joe's stuff is ok, but I think probably 1/2 or better of Glenn's and 3/4 of Don's solo stuff is Eagles Quality.

I love Glenn's "Glenn Frey Live" Album from around 92-93. His voice is top notch in this and the songs are great. (The DVD is better, has more songs) but the album is awesome.

Banned

When the Eagles launched their HFO reunion, one thing they got a lot of credit for was, not doing medleys. Something they've stuck to ever since.

Glenn brushes through his Eagles hits with a shortened version of Peaceful Easy Feeling and a medley of Lying Eyes and Take It Easy on Glenn Frey live but does do a fabulous version of Wild Mountain Thyme.

Would have loved to experienced the British (Irish) football crowd chanting but it doesn't make good repeated listens on a CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter
    I must say the 'After Hours' CD is incredibly relaxing and I often fall asleep listening to it.
    I have been known to fall asleep with the radio on and then be abruptly woken up in the middle of the night by a Joe Walsh track being played.

So if I ever need to be brought out of a coma....

Border Desperado

I had forgot about the Medley.....yeah that's a cringe-worthy moment. I didn't mind the shortened PEF, but that medley had major cheese on it.
    I wish he'd gone ahead and played both, and left out the atrocious "Love in the 21st Century"
    I really liked Smuggler's Blues and The Heat is On, from that CD. Also, not a huge fan of swapping songs, but I think he does a good job on Desperado.

Stuck on the Border

I put After Hours on when I can't sleep and it usually works. If it doesn't, at least I'm relaxed. My fear is that if I was ever to hear the songs live, I'd nod off.
    I bought Glenn Frey Live because I wanted Glenn's version of Desperado which I like nearly as much as the original. I wouldn't have been upset if the medley had been omitted altogether but I guess it was a way to deliver the expected songs without them taking up too much of the set. As he was promoting Strange Weather, I'm fine with the few new songs.

Since seeing the doc, I've bought quite a few Eagles-related CDs - partly because I can't resist a bargain and when you can get the first 6 studio albums for £16 and the 4-disc "collected works" for £7, why wouldn't you? A lot of the solo stuff is available second-hand for little more than the postage. And then there are the books... again, second-hand is good. Add in a couple of DVDs and it's still less than an Eagles concert ticket.

Stuck on the Border

I love the term "deep cut". It is often the more obscure songs that I love most. Queen is such a band. I love some of their hits, like We Are The Champions and Who Wants To Live Forever. But mostly I love their "deep cuts" like Tenement Funster, Nevermore, Lily Of The Valley, Drowse, White Queen, My Fairy King, Night Comes Down, Teo Torriatte, Long Away, Spread Your Wings, Princes Of The Universe.................

Eagles is interesting, because I love stuff like Take The Devil, Earlybird, Bitter Creek, JOFT, My Man etc. etc., but when I think about their hits, I love most of them too!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I had forgot about the Medley.....yeah that's a cringe-worthy moment. I didn't mind the shortened PEF, but that medley had major cheese on it.
    I wish he'd gone ahead and played both, and left out the atrocious "Love in the 21st Century"
    I really liked Smuggler's Blues and The Heat is On, from that CD. Also, not a huge fan of swapping songs, but I think he does a good job on Desperado.
    Funny you should mention "the atrocious Love In The 21st Century" BillBailey1976. I thought the Eagles might have performed that, after Funky New Year, during their Millennium Concert to bring in the new 21st Century. Maybe the subject matter wasn't as pure as the sentiment.

Although it was released over a decade after The Long Run, I think, Love In The 21st Century has a similar guitar refrain, with a different tempo, to part of Long Run Leftovers.

Glenn Frey - Love In The 21st Century
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZYPTgF0gGk

Eagles - Long Run Leftovers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edXZ6Pb79II (at about 1min)

It crops up (3:13 minutes) in Random Victims Part 3 too
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOVfwWwbi_g

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I put After Hours on when I can't sleep and it usually works. If it doesn't, at least I'm relaxed. My fear is that if I was ever to hear the songs live, I'd nod off.
    I bought Glenn Frey Live because I wanted Glenn's version of Desperado which I like nearly as much as the original. I wouldn't have been upset if the medley had been omitted altogether but I guess it was a way to deliver the expected songs without them taking up too much of the set. As he was promoting Strange Weather, I'm fine with the few new songs.

Since seeing the doc, I've bought quite a few Eagles-related CDs - partly because I can't resist a bargain and when you can get the first 6 studio albums for £16 and the 4-disc "collected works" for £7, why wouldn't you? A lot of the solo stuff is available second-hand for little more than the postage. And then there are the books... again, second-hand is good. Add in a couple of DVDs and it's still less than an Eagles concert ticket.
    Surely not. I have seen these songs live. Nodding off was the very last thing in the world I was going to do. I have to say that putting it on to get to sleep is the last thing I would do with the album. Its relaxing, yes, but it demands attention.

As for the LE/TIE medley I saw him do it in 1988 when he was a guest with the Little River Band. Heartache Tonight was combined with LRB's The Night Owls but that worked much better than LE where he cut out half the story. It was wrong.