Page 43 of 96 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast

Thread: Meisner Mania: The Randy Meisner Photo Thread

Default Re: Meisner Mania: The Randy Meisner Photo Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I wonder if Randy has kept all his bass guitars from days of yore. Wouldn't that be something to see.

He still played his Fender Jazz with the tobacco finish in the latter years of his performing career

I love this photo - Randy's soulful gaze, the headstock of the P-bass and a really nice shirt
    That Fender Jazz looks like the one from the "Call It Love" video. Unfortunately the soft focus used during the band parts makes it hard to get a decent screen shot, especially with the jumpy shots of Randy. I agree about the nice shirt (his wardrobe choices were a bit hit or miss ). Still the same sweet grin.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

(I wonder if I should have started a whole new thread just for the bass guitar)

Speaking of the Rickenbacker, here's a picture of Randy with the one he used on the HC tour (I'm afraid I don't know the model -4001, 4003, etc.).

Homeboy with a Hofner, most often associated with the Cute One from the Beatles

He had it when he was just a pup, playing here with Rick Nelson

I think this is the Melody Man again? I really like it, thanks to Delilah for asking and WalshFan88 for telling us
    That white bass is actually a Fender Precision Bass.

The Music Man is very similar, as the guy who invented one invented that one (IIRC).

The way I tell is the Music Man bass has a circle pickguard.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you, WalshFan! I've since been researching the Music Man guitars a bit, and am impressed they are made in America (San Luis Obispo, CA of all places).

Delilah, regarding the Rickenbacker shot above, I didn't know it was during the HC tour. Randy's hair is so short and Beatle-like, it was difficult to estimate the time period.

During Randy's solo career, to break with the past, he not only sang in a lower key, he played guitar rather than bass. There are many shots of him playing a 12-string acoustic - curiously, the manufacturer name has been removed from the headstock, but the model resembles a Takamine.

Ahhh. Timothy and Randy; Randy and Timothy. Two great men who sound great together.

Delilah, regarding the Rickenbacker shot above, I didn't know it was during the HC tour. Randy's hair is so short and Beatle-like, it was difficult to estimate the time period.
    TBH, I'm not sure if it was actually the HC tour per se; they started performing HC and Wasted Time before the album was actually released. I thought his hair looked similar to the style he had at the '76 Seattle concert (did they play HC there?). At the '76 Houston concert it looks like he's playing the Fender Jazz. He's definitely playing the Ric at the '77 Capital Center concert. I better stop posting before I confuse myself

Last edited by Delilah; 03-16-2017 at 12:06 PM.

NMB, I can't say with 100 percent certainty, but that headstock resembles a Martin to me. Glenn used a 6 and 12 String Martin before the hook up with Takamine. You can see the headstock in photos of him clearly. This one isn't clear, but it screams Martin to me.

Delilah, The bass on the left is a Jazz, and the one on the right is certainly a Ric.

I'm no bass player, but my bass of choice is the Jazz, over the Precision. Just a bit more smoother sound and a bit better blended into the background. It's more of a you feel it and sense it than it being loudly audible (at the same volume as a Precision). The Precision is punchy, and much higher output and a bit more of a forward sound. Also the necks are quite a bit different. The Precision (or "P") Bass has a big neck and a bit different width. The Jazz (or "J") Bass, has a thinner, smaller neck. I prefer thin necks on all guitars despite having big hands. I like to wrap my thumb around the top (like you are told not to, lol). The Jazz to me is better blended with a "big band", where as a trio could benefit from the Precision's beefy sound.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    NMB, I can't say with 100 percent certainty, but that headstock resembles a Martin to me. Glenn used a 6 and 12 String Martin before the hook up with Takamine. You can see the headstock in photos of him clearly. This one isn't clear, but it screams Martin to me.
    Thank you, Austin; I trust your instincts. And Randy was definitely a Martin fan, judging by his wardrobe choices. Photobucket is down at the moment, but there are snaps of Randy wearing a Martin Guitars sweatshirt and t-shirt.

OT: I toured the Martin factory in Nazareth, Pennsylvania a couple years ago. It was really neat. I only wish I could afford one of their guitars

I wish you all a magnificent weekend, and I leave you with... a slightly dirty black bass of unknown origin, played by a skinny man with a Beatle haircut.

I wish you all a magnificent weekend, and I leave you with... a slightly dirty black bass of unknown origin, played by a skinny man with a Beatle haircut.

Now you've stumped me! Didn't think that could happen. WTH is that? Fender headstock to be sure, but never seen that body shape or pickup arrangement.