Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favoruite moments from the Capital Centre DVD

Default Re: Favoruite moments from the Capital Centre DVD

As far as I know the first incident of an audience member throwing a firecracker at a rock star on stage was 1966. After Lennon made his "we're bigger then Christ" statement they did a US tour. When they played Memphis a kid in the audience threw a firecracker onstage.

Security getting into a concert was non-existent in the 70's. People could still bring in their own beer bottles, etc. Firework throwing was still going on when I started attending concerts in the early 80's. Tho, security got tighter and tighter from that point on. Thank God, it doesn't happen any more.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

I like that you can hear Felder sing towards the end of "New Kid in Town," you can pick his voice out.

MV-

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that's probably what Joe's speech was about, but it is definitely out if context in the video. There was an infamous Springsteen show in Cleveland in the late 70's where some moron threw one that hit him just below the eye and it exploded seconds later. He actually got a cut on his face from it. I never witnessed this type of stuff, but what were people thinking????

I'm sure Joe must have just missed getting hit and tried to deflect the situation with humor.

So many great moments in this concert. Must re-watch it!

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Apologies if this has been done before, but I saw it done for F1 and although there's not much to go at I still have a few moments on this DVD I really like:

- Joe's wonderful firecracker speech after Hotel California
    - Joe's head-bobbing during NKIT
    - Joe's knowing stare during after one of the 'one more time's in TITTL
    - Glenn's enormous smile and the audience's cheer when Randy pulls off the long note during the above song
    - Felder's solo during OOTN, the more I hear it the more I think it's one of the best an Eagle ever did
    - The general merriness before, during and after Take It Easy

Anyone else?
    I'm reviving this thread since today is the 4th anniversary of the DVD/Blu-Ray release. I watched part of the documentary on CNN, but it wasn't until I bought the DVD that I watched it in its entirety, as well as the entire concert uninterrupted. I am very grateful there was a DVD release at all, given the band's history of releasing concert footage.

I agree with lastresort's favorite moments. I would also add that I love Don H's expressions when he sings "Best of My Love" and the audience applause after Don F plays the pedal steel part. I also love hearing the audience applaud after the beautiful harmony about 4 minutes in when they sing the words the best of myyy looove. Overall the performance of this song is lovely with them all in front performing.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Delilah - I could not agree more. I love watching that concert.
    As a side note, I have to say I was at many a concert in the 70's and very early 80's where people threw fireworks. Once one almost hit myself and the friends I was with. I do not remember any kind of security back then. Kind of crazy when you think about it know.

Glennn Frey at "his goddamn coolest" as one commenter posted.

New Kid in Town Live 1977

Love and miss you forever Glenn! You were and still are amazing!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IR_Ii0hXLEk

Full concert for those who haven't seen it or just want to see it again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4p-sKfkwkSw
    Last edited by Dawn; 05-01-2017 at 02:19 PM.

I can't imagine what people were thinking popping firecrackers at concerts.

Bringing up Glenn reminds me of another favorite moment--when he points at someone in the audience towards the end of "Take It Easy."

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

One thing I don't like about it is the modern-style editing. Too much cutting. But that's OT

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Apologies if this has been done before, but I saw it done for F1 and although there's not much to go at I still have a few moments on this DVD I really like:

- Joe's wonderful firecracker speech after Hotel California
    - Joe's head-bobbing during NKIT
    - Joe's knowing stare during after one of the 'one more time's in TITTL
    - Glenn's enormous smile and the audience's cheer when Randy pulls off the long note during the above song
    - Felder's solo during OOTN, the more I hear it the more I think it's one of the best an Eagle ever did
    - The general merriness before, during and after Take It Easy

Anyone else?
    They are all great, but the TITTL has some much in it.

For starters, it is the best version I've heard of the song, including the studio version.
    Meisner delivers a perfect performance.

In regards to Walsh, his energy & facial expressions are all great. He knows (as does everyone else) a couple of the high notes will be coming and he is anticipating them.
    Regarding Frey, his attention to playing the keys, yet looking up to see his fellow band mates. Of course when Meisner hits those high notes, his expression is great.
    With Felder, he has several smiles/expressions, but at the end after Meisner thanks the crowd, he looks over at Meisner with a big smile on his face and Felder gives him the fingers indicating V for victory. Then Meisner humbly bows his head and returns the kind gesture.
    Of course the pleasure Meisner has on his face after hitting those notes, and as he thanks the audience for their appreciative energy.

Another song is OOTN with Henley hitting some high notes himself, and of course Felder's guitar playing.

Then there is NKIT where everyone is singing in perfect harmony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN7A...92903492045036

Frey does a great job with an incredible amount of feeling, and Henley with his backing vocals. Walsh is doing his eyebrow thing having a bunch of fun. Felder is having fun with his playing even though it is not a challenging riff by shaking his head from side to side. Walsh is into the keys. There is also Meisner and Felder on either side of Frey singing perfect harmonic vocals to Frey's lead.

That live concert is one of the best performances of the Eagles, bar none. The fans received a special treat that evening.

`
    Last edited by Vector; 05-01-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    `

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Then there is NKIT where everyone is singing in perfect harmony.
    I don't want to be cynical but I wonder how much fixing there was, if any.