Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Felder to do summer tour with Styx & Foreigner; new version of HC on related CD

Default Re: Felder to do summer tour with Styx & Foreigner; new version of HC on related CD

I didn't mind the singing so much (although of course the original is the best) - what bothered me was the change in the 2nd guitar solo. That solo is to NEVER be improvised on IMO!!! It was perfect from the recording and is what makes that song so special to me.... HC is one of those songs that needs to be played just like the record as it was a masterpiece.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Felder to do summer tour with Styx & Foreigner; new version of HC on related CD

Totally agree, WF!

I don't mind them covering it, I'm sure it's fun for them, but I don't really want to hear it. I'm kind of that way with any covers. I nearly always prefer the originals.

Glenn's covers of standards don't bother me because they are old and I wasn't really a fan of them originally.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I didn't mind the singing so much (although of course the original is the best) - what bothered me was the change in the 2nd guitar solo. That solo is to NEVER be improvised on IMO!!! It was perfect from the recording and is what makes that song so special to me.... HC is one of those songs that needs to be played just like the record as it was a masterpiece.
    I had the same reaction to the change in the 2nd guitar solo. Otherwise I didn't think that it was extremely different. And I agree, the original is the best?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I'm guessing there was a reason for the change in the 2nd solo.

Like others here, I'm not usually a fan of covers. Someone adding their own spin on a loved favorite is like fingernails on a chalkboard, and someone trying to copy it exactly usually fails and that's even more annoying. For this one, I very definitely missed Henley's lead vocals. IMO, Joe is the only allowed to even attempt 'his' guitar part, and the magic that is the Eagles is definitely missing.

All that being said, it was tastefully done, and I did enjoy listening to it. I'm not gonna buy it, and I'm not gonna travel hours and buy a ticket to see it, but I did enjoy it.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, I didn't think it was horrible or anything - it's just that some things are so perfect that they are best left alone and the original recording of Hotel California is one of them, IMHO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I guess I am the odd one out. I hate it.

Border Desperado

Sad Café- that makes two of us.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I thought it was painful to listen to, HOWEVER, I am happy for Felder and I hope this summer tour is a success and he makes a lot of $$ and gains a lot of fans.

I don't know anything about the guys in Styx or Foreigner, but I am a little surprised they agreed to be part of recording the new version, considering the Eagles are on tour and performing that song every night. We all know Don's contribution to the song and his "ownership" of it and right to perform it, but they've given this remake such a high profile PR push, I just think it can't do anything but backfire. Not many will appreciate or like this version. I think it would be fine for them all to sing verses during the live shows, that would be cool, but to cut a single...strange decision-making. Obviously they don't care what the Eagles think, which is fine, but the whole thing just smells weird.

The guitar solo change up bothered me.

I've always thought DF was a better singer (and I disagree with GF and DH not thinking so) than anyone gives him credit for but of course the original is what everyone knows and loves - myself included....

I've kept my mouth shut on the whole Don Imus thing from last week because I thought I was going to throw my computer across the room when I watched that video - it REALLLLLY rubbed me wrong. And I knew if I came here and posted my thoughts on it right away I'd probably wouldn't have been very level headed. He made GF/DH out to be angels and responsible for all of the success and Felder to be a guy who didn't contribute anything. It made my BP rise for the rest of the day that's for sure. I think Felder is a fine singer. He's not Don Henley but NO one other than Don Henley is Don Henley so that's not a fair comparison.

The remade song won't be going in my iTunes, but the singing was fine. It was just the overall change up that was not my thing.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

It's a competent cover but doesn't bring anything new. Don's vocals are ok and I was more bothered by the "frills" added by the other vocalists.

Based on this and the live clips, Felder doesn't do too bad a job on covering Henley's vocals. Where he fails is on "Take it Easy" and "Peaceful Easy Feeling". Henley has said he likes to choose a key so that his voice is slightly strained so that may be why it works for Felder. Whereas TIE and PEF need to sound relaxed and that doesn't seem to be a natural fit for Felder. I'm mildly curious how he does on Heartache Tonight.

If Don Henley and Glenn are paying any attention, they may be relieved that this new version is so uninspired.