Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Felder to do summer tour with Styx & Foreigner; new version of HC on related CD

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Felder to do summer tour with Styx & Foreigner; new version of HC on related CD

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post

I don't know anything about the guys in Styx or Foreigner, but I am a little surprised they agreed to be part of recording the new version, considering the Eagles are on tour and performing that song every night. We all know Don's contribution to the song and his "ownership" of it and right to perform it, but they've given this remake such a high profile PR push, I just think it can't do anything but backfire. Not many will appreciate or like this version. I think it would be fine for them all to sing verses during the live shows, that would be cool, but to cut a single...strange decision-making. Obviously they don't care what the Eagles think, which is fine, but the whole thing just smells weird.
    That's what I can't figure out. Doing it at their shows is one thing, but recording it?

I love Styx and Foreigner too, but doing their own songs, not someone else's.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Default Re: Felder to do summer tour with Styx & Foreigner; new version of HC on related CD

I don't see the problem in Styx and Foreigner doing HC, Can't be worse than Rascal Flatt's version.

Stuck on the Border

From the press, Foreigner, Styx and Don Felder also recorded "I want to know what love is", so it's not just HC. It looks like those are the only two tracks on the album that have Don Felder.

Who's doing the lead vocals?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I wonder what Glenn and Don H think about this?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...miere/8022925/

Interesting!

ETA: You can listen below the article. NO ONE WILL EVER SING IT BETTER THAN DON HENLEY!
    That is seven minutes of my life that I won't get back that's for sure. Glenn mentioned that one of the reasons he doesn't like American Idol is because the contestants "over sing", or something to that effect. Would this be a case of that happening here? Some of his vocal styling and phrasing is off putting for me, and then futzing with the guitar parts at the end - heresy!

Walshfan, not to get you BP up, but Imus didn't really say Don H and Glenn were angels. He said they were all just miserable people, despite all their success, and he wouldn't want to hang out with them, and he knows Henley!

Quote Originally Posted by ktdids View Post
    Walshfan, not to get you BP up, but Imus didn't really say Don H and Glenn were angels. He said they were all just miserable people, despite all their success, and he wouldn't want to hang out with them, and he knows Henley!
    That's true. But he made it come across like Don and Glenn = Eagles which I don't agree with. The sum is greater than it's parts, or two out of five. They get a lot of credit as songwriters of course (and it's deserved) but the notion that they could replace any of them other than GF and DH and it would be ok is NOT ok in my book. I know I'd never see an Eagles show without Joe or Timothy... Felder being gone was hard enough to deal with.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    That's true. But he made it come across like Don and Glenn = Eagles which I don't agree with. The sum is greater than it's parts, or two out of five. They get a lot of credit as songwriters of course (and it's deserved) but the notion that they could replace any of them other than GF and DH and it would be ok is NOT ok in my book. I know I'd never see an Eagles show without Joe or Timothy... Felder being gone was hard enough to deal with.
    I just watched this clip. He said 'you can be the Eagles, you can be Henley, you can be Frey' . That doesn't mean what you interpreted it to mean, that the others could be replaced, which was not said at any point. Referring only to the two main members of the band is common, no matter how much you dislike them being the two main members. He also never said that Felder contributed nothing or hardly anything; he was specifcally talking about Felder's performance of HC. And as ktdids said, he also did not say Frey & Henley were angels. In fact the woman called Frey a 'jerk'. I cringed at the way they ridiculed Felder, though. They made the point quickly & overdid it.

ETA: I am listening to it now. As far as I am concerned, the least said about it the better.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-24-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I just watched this clip. He said 'you can be the Eagles, you can be Henley, you can be Frey' . That doesn't mean what you interpreted it to mean, that the others could be replaced, which was not said at any point. Referring only to the two main members of the band is common, no matter how much you dislike them being the two main members. He also never said that Felder contributed nothing or hardly anything; he was specifcally talking about Felder's performance of HC. And as ktdids said, he also did not say Frey & Henley were angels. In fact the woman called Frey a 'jerk'. I cringed at the way they ridiculed Felder, though. They made the point quickly & overdid it.

ETA: I am listening to it now. As far as I am concerned, the least said about it the better.
    Glad to hear it from someone else as I did take "You can be the Eagles, Henley/Frey" to mean that they were the only ones that he thought were any good. I overreact and I have a hard time always understanding how people mean things sometimes in this respect and I assumed that's what he meant because of the DF bashing.

I don't not like the fact that DH/GF are the main two members, I like them fine. It's just that I see each guy as equals in terms of value to the band and I realize I'm in the minority.

I did catch that about them saying they were miserable, but I felt they were over the top harsh on DF. You don't have to like his singing or the "rerecorded" HC or that live version but Imus making him out to be person who everyone hated didn't sit well with me.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ktdids View Post
    That is seven minutes of my life that I won't get back that's for sure.
    KTDIDS

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I know I'd never see an Eagles show without Joe or Timothy
    I think Don and Glenn know this. They could legitimately tour as The Eagles with a backing band, just singing all of their own lead songs. I don't think they have any interest in this. If they were as greedy as people say, they could keep ALL of the $$ for themselves and pay the musicians scale. Whatever chemistry they have with those other two that allows them to keep doing what they do, they recognize it, and they know they would lose fans at shows.