Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long

Stuck on the Border

Yes, it is the J.D. Souther song.

I just hope there are some Frey/Henley songs on this album. I suppose those are being saved. This track has the advantage of being instantly accessible and catchy.

And how can I complain when I have got what I've asked for for years - a Frey/Henley duet? Glenn sounds extremely cool and nervy on it.

Glenn's voice has a kind of rasp to it on some parts and I love it!

Thank you everyone for the information and links about this single. I listened to it this morning in my tea break and all I can say is that it's absolutely GORGEOUS. Glenn and Don's lead vocals, the harmonies, the instrumentation... it's how we've come to know and love the Eagles! Their brilliance continues!! I am so excited about this song because since I downloaded the 1972 concert version from GFO, I've loved it (it also features the first example of Glenn clutching his ear to hear himself better ), and was disappointed to find that it wasn't on any of their albums (which I'm still trying to get together ). OH, I'm so happy about this. I'm going to listen to it again, now!

Will the album not be on general release?

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Here is the first review I've read, posted today on zmemusic.com:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

So you’re having your daily stroll with the car, heading to your local Wal-Mart, listening to your favorite radio station, when all of a sudden a strange deja-vu hits you like a punch to the kisser. You stop the car and say to yourself ‘Man this a Eagles song, but I’ve never heard this before’. That’s because this is their first single in 14 years, called ‘How Long’, released all over the air waves and probably airing on a radio station near you as we speak.

Retro is a good word to describe the track, and probably the whole album “The Long Road Out of Eden”, which we warned you about a while back. Joe Walsh’s guitar old-school Nashville chopping, together with Don Henley’s country/blues vocals might have made a smashing hit in the ’70s, but certainly not in 2007. The song’s been written in 1972 by JD Souther, so that would explain the retro sound. Basically it’s a classic Eagles song, if you love the Eagles you’ll love this song, if you hate the Eagles then you’ll this song. You can listen to it at the band’s myspace.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we are going to read a lot of reviews in this same vein. The DJ I talked with yesterday in Tampa loved the Eagles and said he thought the song was great, but some people, like the reviewer above, are just pre-disposed to dislike the Eagles.

More info from the Walmart site---here is the track list:
    There are some VERY intriguing titles here!

1. No More Walks In The Wood

2. How Long

3. What Do I Do With My Heart

4. Waiting In The Weeds

5. I Don't Want To Hear Anymore

6. Guilty Of The Crime

7. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance

8. Center Of The Universe

9. Do Something

10. Fast Company

11. It's Your World Now

12. No More Cloudy Days

13. Long Road Out Of Eden

14. Somebody

15. Lately (Last Good Time In Town)

16. Frail Grasp On The Big Picture

17. Busy Being Fabulous

18. Business As Usual

19. You're Not Alone

20. I Dreamed There Was No War

21. Long Road Out Of Eden, Pt.2

22. Hole In The World

Release date:10/30/2007

Thanks for this review, DF!

I've learnt to ignore negativity from critics . It's their opinion, and I suppose they have a right to it. This is a beautiful recording, and those, IMHO, with a knowledge of good music, will appreciate just how brilliant it is. There is too little great music available these days, and the fact that a band as great as the Eagles have released yet more great music is a breath of fresh air, and music to my ears, in both senses of the expression!

Record companies are too focused on gimmicks these days - no sooner have new acts appeared when they disappear again. It doesn't bother the record companies, as they have made their quick bucks, and go on to the next forgettable act. It's all such a shame, really, that everything has become about money. Fortunately, there are true music lovers around such as the people on The Border, who are able to appreciate "real music, sung and played by real musicians", to quote Glenn from his MTV Australia interview in 1988.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Wow, this is almost too much to take on board! A new song and a firm date for the album and a chance to preorder it on Monday AND a video coming out! Gasp!

I've just listened to it twice on eaglesband and I love it. I love both Glenn's and Don's vocals, the fact that it is shared, and the real Eagles harmonies - fabulous. MF, I've had that 1972 download on my computer for months, but hadn't actually listened to it - thanks for reminding me. I'll have to compare it now. I'm rabbiting now - Glenn sounds magnificent, and now I've got that flash player thingie working I'm listening to the other songs on the official site and have just got to YBTTC - oh, how I love him.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

I totally agree with you, MF. How Long is that kind of song what I always wish for if they release a new one. I just called my mom, she heard it through the phone and she loves it! As Maleah said...

It sounds great and if this is what the entire album sounds like..........I'm in heaven
    ... and very happy.

Border Desperado

AND IF THAT'S THE OPENER, IMAGINE HOW THE MAIN SONGS WILL SOUND
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

OMG - I LOVE IT Old song or not it's rocking. Pray, pray, pray that the rest of the album sounds as great as this. Okay, I have to go and listen to it again - YAY! I'm jumping out of my seat here