Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Winter Olympics

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default 2014 Winter Olympics

So who's planning on watching the Olympics? What's everyone's favorite sport? Mine, as you might imagine, is hockey, but I definitely prefer most of the winter sports over the summer sports.

I didn't get to watch much back in 2010 since my satellite dish was off the house (roof replacement). I'm not sure how much I can watch this year since nearly everything happens while I'm at work.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics

You and I are on the same wavelength, VA - I just started a topic on this as well! I'll go delete it. Too funny!

My favorite winter sport is figure skating. I love all types, but especially pairs.

I'm tuning into the opening ceremonies right now. I love the air of celebration and excitement.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

When I was growing up we only got 3 channels. So when the Olympics came around it was a big deal, and we watched every night. I've been hooked ever since! I remember watching when the US Hockey team beat the Russians I love it.

Stuck on the Border

As I live in a country where winter sport is not a big deal it's hard to get that interested. I like the traditional sports like ski jumping & bobsledding. I like figure skating but I probably wont be watching much of it.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Soda, I saw your thread not long after I submitted mine, very strange that we both had the same thought at the same time! Quick! What am I thinking now?

The Pens are playing the Rangers tonight, last hockey game before the Olympic break, so I'm watching that. I guess I'll start watching tomorrow!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Soda, I saw your thread not long after I submitted mine, very strange that we both had the same thought at the same time! Quick! What am I thinking now?
    You're thinking that you hope it's an isolated incident.

Regarding the Opening Ceremonies, they've got this really cool setup for the Parade of Nations: when the athletes march in, the shape of their home country appears on a global map of lights under their feet that "spins" with the entrance of each new country. I love it!

On the other hand, I'm not a fan of the way they outfitted the women "wearing" the country names. (For those not watching, here's a picture of the Jamaica team coming in - check out the lady in white in front of them.) The "techno" music getting played as the countries come in is pretty awful, too.

All these young athletes recording the procession with iPhones and taking selfies as they walk in are cracking me up.

Since the countries are coming in according to their order in the Cyrillic alphabet, I have no idea when the USA will be arriving.

ETA: The USA is right in between Slovenia and Tajikistan, just under 90 minutes in.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

oh I love watching the Olympics...and I do like the winter games better than the summer...my favorite...is the hockey...but I really love all the sports...except the speed skating...to me that's boring...I love all the skiing and the ice skating...

Border Desperado Islander canuck's Avatar

I will be watching. I find it intersting to watch the more obscure sports. On that note I am currently watching the Men's Snowboard Slopestyle final.

Border Desperado Islander canuck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Islander canuck View Post
    I will be watching. I find it intersting to watch the more obscure sports. On that note I am currently watching the Men's Snowboard Slopestyle final.
    And the first medals of the Games are...

Gold-Sage Kotsenburg-USA

Silver-Staale Sandbech-Norway

Bronze-Mark Mcmorris-Canada

I like ice skating but I probably won't be watching it