Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Henley Video Survivor

Default Re: Don Henley Video Survivor

I have two songs I want to vote off, but I want to keep the other song in for another round. This song was actually the song I wanted to vote off first, but I went with The Garden Of Allah.

I vote for:
    Johnny Can't Read

I know its a tribute to his mother who was a teacher and this was his very first solo video, but song was just I don't know. I don't like it. Too poppy. Pop that is. You know it was one of those 80s low budget videos.

I agree, Soda. I don't know what Don was thinking with this video. I actually love the song. I think its so nice and cute that he wrote this song about his wife and how she change him to be a better man. The one that finally stole his heart. Now the video is another story. It goes up there along with Love in the 21st Century and The Garden of Allah as the what the heck were they thinking. The ending is very scary.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I have to go with Fp and shun this time and vote for Johnny Can't Read. It's just so dated. Ick! But EIDN will be next! Another ick!

And Dreamer...........
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm not crazy about the song, Johnny Can't Read, but I actually think the video is somewhat better than the song. It does a good job of presenting a visual story of the song's meaning, which to me, is what a video should do. And, yes, it's dated, but that doesn't bother me because it was appropriate for the time it was made. I'm not saying it's a great video, but I like it better than Everything Is Different Now. The problem I have with that video is that while attempting to depict Don’s past lifestyle with the horrible imagery and characters, they forget to show how "everything is different now". I think that the video maybe could have actually been effective if it were less grotesque and they had shown a contrast between his two lives. In any event, I'll withhold voting to see how this round plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    And Dreamer...........
    Don't hurt me Brooke, but in my defense, I am voting for the videos, not the songs.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I agree with IABAD, The Heart Of The Matter is not a good video, too bad because I love the song.

Everything Is Different Now is truely horrible. Don as Frankenstein ~ barf. Is that stripper in the beginning Headless? Then there's the couple whose tongues merge or something ~ there's more grossness, but I'm not going to go on. I can barely stand to watch it, what a freak show. I have to vote for EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT NOW to go.
    ~Sara

Johnny Can't Read

There's no denying that "Johnny Can't Read" is dated, but there's something charming and quaint about how dated it is. Plus, I love the literary reference and "Don the school teacher" cracks me up, especially when he tosses the papers. I sympathize!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Everything is different Now…
    "Leave me be, I'm just walkin' this line!"

Out on the Border

May I join in? I'd like to vote for Not Enough love in the World. It lacks Don and makes no sense to me. ( I happen to think the video for EIDN is very representative of the song's meaning)

Sure, Fanagain! Welcome to the game!

I think the video for EIDN communicates really well how messed up his life was before he "met somebody with a heart as big as Texas." I just wish it also communicated the fact that "everything is different now" too. We never got to see Happy Don in the video! That's what I think doesn't work about the video, but that's JMHO, and I respect yours as well.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten