Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Short-term mass popularity vs. Long-term relevence

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Short-term mass popularity vs. Long-term relevence

Was it you, KTDids, who included Get Over It, or another student? That's so cool!

In my high school sophomore English class, the teacher taught us Don McLean's American Pie as a poem.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/donmc...ericanpie.html

Maybe I'm just an old fogey, but I don't see poetry like this in any of today's popular songs.

I respect Taylor Swift for writing her own songs, I believe sometimes without a committee helping her, playing her instruments, and being willing to sing live even though she knows she doesn't have a very good voice. She seems to put in the work, so I give her that. The strange thing is that so many of the today's most successful pop songs are geared toward 8 year old girls, it's like nobody is writing for adults. I do like Bruno Mars' voice and his style of music. I also like Lorde's "Royals" as much as the next person, and I think it is because of its unique minimalist style - like ICTYW, "there's a lot of air in it" to quote TBS from HOTE.

Border Desperado Islander canuck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    !Was it you, KTDids, who included Get Over It, or another student? That's so cool

In my high school sophomore English class, the teacher taught us Don McLean's American Pie as a poem.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/donmc...ericanpie.html

Maybe I'm just an old fogey, but I don't see poetry like this in any of today's popular songs.

I respect Taylor Swift for writing her own songs, I believe sometimes without a committee helping her, playing her instruments, and being willing to sing live even though she knows she doesn't have a very good voice. She seems to put in the work, so I give her that. The strange thing is that so many of the today's most successful pop songs are geared toward 8 year old girls, it's like nobody is writing for adults. I do like Bruno Mars' voice and his style of music. I also like Lorde's "Royals" as much as the next person, and I think it is because of its unique minimalist style - like ICTYW, "there's a lot of air in it" to quote TBS from HOTE.
    No I did bring in Get Over It the song I brought in was I believe actually American Pie. As for high quality poetry in today's music I think you have look for in places other than mainstream popular music.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander canuck View Post
    No I did bring in Get Over It the song I brought in was I believe actually American Pie. As for high quality poetry in today's music I think you have look for in places other than mainstream popular music.

+1 there - agree 100%. I don't think Beyonce (or any of those others) is a good role model for a songwriter to emulate. 70+ songs written for her last CD? I don't think so! That's a career for a lot of people.

Of course, that's a career assuming you're writing real songs, not little throwaway ditties...

"You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!"

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post

I have to say I also respect Taylor Swift for what she does, too, even though I'm not a huge fan I do like some of her songs. I remember the first time I saw her on tv was at an awards show and she came out with only her guitar and sang Tim McGraw right in front of Tim McGraw! Now that took guts! No, she doesn't have the most amazing voice, but she's a very talented girl to be able to write and play and sing.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by ktdids View Post
    I volunteer tutoring for the SAT, and to get my kids interested in reading, which every kid I come across seems to hate doing for this exam, I tried using the lyrics to Hotel California to give them a feel for evocative writing. They got the sense of dark mystery and danger from just reading it as poetry, which gave me a real kick! Then I told them to go pull up the song and see how the words and music together made a picture for them in their head! I wondered if a more current song would have been more relatable for them, but I wasn't sure there was much I could find that would fit what I needed it to do with the kids.
    KT_That is such a cool thing that you did for those kids. In my 10th grade English class we had this really cool English book and two of our assignments that stuck with me to this day were having to read " The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" which Gordon Lightfoot did and do an analysis of Jackson Browne's " The Pretender". I had never heard the song "the Pretender" until long after that English Class, but that song and the analysis sticks with me.

MC- I feel the same way in that some of todays music is being geared towards 8 year old girls. When I read your comment,, I thought about Britney Spears! remember her? When one of her first songs came out, I was babysitting for my 5 year old god daughter who was entertaining me by performing "Oops I did it again" Of course it was cute and she loved Britney
    at the time, but it reminded me that things really had changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I remember the first time I saw her (Taylor Swift)on tv was at an awards show and she came out with only her guitar and sang Tim McGraw right in front of Tim McGraw! Now that took guts!
    I was thinking something similar watching the performers at the recent Beatles tribute doing their covers of Beatles tunes - with Paul and Ringo sitting just an arms' length away. Now THAT had to be intimidating!!!

Border Desperado Islander canuck's Avatar

The pop stars today who's music seems to be geared towards young children will likely be long since forgotten about 20 or 30 years from now. On the flip side genuine children's entertainers like Fred Penner who in his 60's can entertain audiences entirely comprised of university students.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLsNG4xdmHo[/ame]

Fred Penner was my son Rick's favorite entertainer when he was a little three-year-old tike (Rick turned 28 today; Happy Birthday, son!). Fred is a gentle spirit who doesn't talk down to kids. That's why he's still popular...