Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Randy's Genealogy

Banned

Default Re: Randy's Genealogy

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Roads View Post
    Lamorna, You are very right!! I would love to write a book someday about this group of people as they are not known by many unless you're from that particular "tribe." My family did the same - left Russia with very little. One of my ancestors (my great, great, great grandfather left with his wife and son - my great, great grandfather - who was only 6 months old, on the Leipzig ship, leaving from Hamburg and arriving in Baltimore in 1874 - They later settled in the Dakotas)

I actually was heavily considering taking a trip with some fellow German from Russia group in North Dakota in May, however, I have a feeling they may cancel this trip due to the upheaval in the Ukraine at the moment. It just seems way too risky. But, such a shame!

I noticed that about Randy's mother being born on the ship!! What an amazing journey and thank God she made it alive and safe - the conditions on those ships were terrible, to say the least! She survived to give the world Randy

Hehe, I may have been within a few miles of Randy during my recent trips to LA. But, in LA, you're generally walking among celebrities! lol Heck when I was at Disneyland awhile back, supposedly Katy Perry was there at the same time. Small world!

Lamorna, you need to come to California
    Brooklyn, I've been to California on a self-drive holiday and had a brilliant trip but I wasn't looking for Randy then! Just as well because I wouldn't have done all the other exciting things tourists do if I was hanging around LA hoping for a glimpse of him.

Last year in Ukraine over 80% of the passengers on the trip were Americans with Germans from Russia roots. All of them had Ukrainian grandfathers, grandmothers, fathers, mothers and were cruising from Odessa to Kiev to discover their heritage. It was a small ship with around 140 passengers so we all got to know each other well. They were from all over America with a single purpose.

They were great fun and we all felt connected. Shame it is impossible to go there at the moment. But you have time and one day you will go.

Yes, we are related to Angelina! Your avatar looks like you could be

Border Desperado Brooklyn Roads's Avatar

Brooklyn, I've been to California on a self-drive holiday and had a brilliant trip but I wasn't looking for Randy then! Just as well because I wouldn't have done all the other exciting things tourists do if I was hanging around LA hoping for a glimpse of him.

Last year in Ukraine over 80% of the passengers on the trip were Americans with Germans from Russia roots. All of them had Ukrainian grandfathers, grandmothers, fathers, mothers and were cruising from Odessa to Kiev to discover their heritage. It was a small ship with around 140 passengers so we all got to know each other well. They were from all over America with a single purpose.

They were great fun and we all felt connected. Shame it is impossible to go there at the moment. But you have time and one day you will go.

Yes, we are related to Angelina! Your avatar looks like you could be
    Yes, I do remember making a mention of a LA trip. Sorry! Well, in actuality, what I really meant is, you need to come back to California, and not just for the possibility of catching sight of him, but for more obvious reasons - because California is an awesome state Did you get to come up North at all?

It's so cool there are so many people who are very curious about their German from Russia heritage and are willing to make the trek. I look forward to it someday when things have calmed down a bit in the Ukraine. I also have a lot of other areas to cover, such as France, Hungary, Germany, England and Ireland.

Oh, what a wonderful compliment on the avatar. That beautiful lady is *sigh* not me, but a picture of the beautiful Vivien Leigh. However, if you click on my profile, you can see a picture of my Grandma with her nephew back in the 40's. She's a German from Russia.

Banned

I love your avatar. Vivien Leigh was an amazing and beautiful actress.

I love your avatar. Vivien Leigh was an amazing and beautiful actress.
    Thank you, BRD!! She's one of my all time favorites

Banned

Yes, I do remember making a mention of a LA trip. Sorry! Well, in actuality, what I really meant is, you need to come back to California, and not just for the possibility of catching sight of him, but for more obvious reasons - because California is an awesome state Did you get to come up North at all?

It's so cool there are so many people who are very curious about their German from Russia heritage and are willing to make the trek. I look forward to it someday when things have calmed down a bit in the Ukraine. I also have a lot of other areas to cover, such as France, Hungary, Germany, England and Ireland.

Oh, what a wonderful compliment on the avatar. That beautiful lady is *sigh* not me, but a picture of the beautiful Vivien Leigh. However, if you click on my profile, you can see a picture of my Grandma with her nephew back in the 40's. She's a German from Russia.
    If the Napa Valley, Mount Diablo and the Redwood State Parks are in North California then we did. We saw loads. We were based in San Francisco and drove to Monterey and Carmel and this included the Big Sur. When I got back to the UK I had to re-read Steinbeck's 'Cannery Row' to round off the Monterey experience.

We went to a lot of live music gigs in San Francisco. Mainly on Pier 39 on Fisherman's Wharf. Different bands playing every night and great music. Just imagine if Randy had been around jamming with a live band!

Your Grandmother looks like lots of my female relations from that era. One lot of mine are dark haired and the other lot are blonde. Beautiful photo and thank you. And she looks like Vivien Leigh!

If the Napa Valley, Mount Diablo and the Redwood State Parks are in North California then we did. We saw loads. We were based in San Francisco and drove to Monterey and Carmel and this included the Big Sur. When I got back to the UK I had to re-read Steinbeck's 'Cannery Row' to round off the Monterey experience.

We went to a lot of live music gigs in San Francisco. Mainly on Pier 39 on Fisherman's Wharf. Different bands playing every night and great music. Just imagine if Randy had been around jamming with a live band!

Your Grandmother looks like lots of my female relations from that era. One lot of mine are dark haired and the other lot are blonde. Beautiful photo and thank you. And she looks like Vivien Leigh!
    Wow, yes, you were most definitely in NorCal! I actually live right next to Mt. Diablo, so it was cool to see you mention that, as it's not a widely known mountain outside of California. Carmel and Monterey are beautiful and the Cannery Row experience is fun. John Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors; I guess that comes naturally since I'm a Californian, but his work speaks to all people, which I love about him.

San Francisco has great live entertainment. I bet that was a lot of fun! Oh, what a dream that would have been if Randy was one of those Pier 39 performers!

Wow, so interesting. Someday we'll have to compare photos. It's funny you mention my Grandma looking like Vivien Leigh, as Gone with the Wind was one of her favorite movies as a child. I think she could relate to her. And, my Grandma is feisty, like Scarlett O'Hara.

BY the way, I can't get enough of your Randy .gif Avatar. It is so cute of him dancing!

Banned

I have been on this same trip also. Flew to San Francisco, went to Pier 39, Alcatraz, Muir Woods and then down to Monterey. My husband played golf at Pebble Beach. He was in heaven. The drive from San Francisco to Monterey is just incredible. Stopped at a few wineries on the way. Wonderful trip.

I have been on this same trip also. Flew to San Francisco, went to Pier 39, Alcatraz, Muir Woods and then down to Monterey. My husband played golf at Pebble Beach. He was in heaven. The drive from San Francisco to Monterey is just incredible. Stopped at a few wineries on the way. Wonderful trip.
    BRD, it is quite a lovely place to live, that I forget sometimes what it must feel like for out of towners to take it all in. Pebble beach is beautiful and pristine and full of Monterey cypresses. California is great and I appreciate it more and more every time I come back from being away for awhile. There's nothing quite like home!

Banned

BY the way, I can't get enough of your Randy .gif Avatar. It is so cute of him dancing!
    Randy without his guitar and doing his 'Dad Dancing Badly at a Wedding' creases me up! With his German from Russia heritage maybe he has this dancing gene in his blood? Although I can't really see Randy flinging himself about like that

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydRjBbWszsk[/ame]

Banned

Watch this to see how some of our European families, including Randy's, ended up being 'Russian' losing their identity along the way. It is incredible.

http://loiter.co/v/watch-as-1000year...arders-change/