Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Back to The Eagles

Default Getting Back to The Eagles

I've realized there are obsessions (be they long or short-term). There are phases in which you take to liking certain things, consequently immersing yourself in whatever such "things" are.

Whenever someone asks me who my favorite band is (and has been for about five years), my answer is still The Eagles. From 2010 (when I decided to join this forum) up until probably a year and a half ago, I had to read every Eagles-related book, watch all live 70s Eagles footage on Youtube... I was obsessed. But after some time, I swapped my On the Border CD in my car with The Very Best of Jackson Browne and a s*** ton of Bela Fleck. I swapped my Eagles books for my (then growing) Kurt Vonnegut collection. There was a point where I stopped putting out the effort to listen to the Eagles...

Especially because I don't have my record player with me (that's how I like to listen to the Eagles. It's just better that way), I've lately been enthralled in Simon and Garfunkel (partially because I've watched Almost Famous about 10 times in the last year) and The Allman Brothers

What's interesting is the fact that I still ardently get excited when Take it to the Limit comes on the radio, I still visit the Eagles section at every single record store (even when I know I'm not going to find anything "new"), and of course, I still have my lovely poster of Joe Walsh hanging in my dorm.

My favorite Eagles album is Desperado. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I love the (supposed) collaboration amongst all of the members of the band, I love the concept, and Doolin Dalton/Desperado is just...incredible! Lately on Spotify, in between my clicks on Graceland and Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Once More With Feeling Soundtrack (yes, you now know my guilty pleasure), I'll put on Desperado, and I remember why I always say that The Eagles are my favorite band. How could I not??

In any case, I suppose the point in all of this is to say that I really don't think loving a band and their music is a [temporary] obsession (unless you're talking about Justin Bieber or whatever ) There is a reason why we listen to songs and revisit albums - the melodies and lyrics mesmerize us, and everyone knows what it means "to truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts." That's what music does to us; it is the cornerstone of or emotion.

That is all. Carry on.

Default Re: Getting Back to The Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFanatic View Post
    There is a reason why we listen to songs and revisit albums - the melodies and lyrics mesmerize us, and everyone knows what it means "to truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts." That's what music does to us; it is the cornerstone of or emotion.
    beautifully said, also I agree that in most cases loving a band can cause obsessive behavior but it's not an obsession in any kind of unhealthy way, there is a reason why some bands make a lot of people "love the music so much that it hurts"

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Welcome back eaglesfanatic. Great to hear from you again
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Welcome back Zoe. It's good to hear from you again. We've missed you around here. That is a lovely post and I love that you used that line from Almost Famous about "truly loving some little silly piece of music ..." because I really like that movie too. Hope you are able to stick around.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

right on!
    I definitely go thru more obsession "phases" (usually music-related) than my friends, which sometimes makes me think I'm crazy haha, but I know that pretty much everyone else here is just like me in that sense.
    and I say "phases" because like you said, just because you put more focus on another band or whatever at one point doesn't mean that you're no longer obsessed with the Eagles or whoever. I have many obsessions. 5 years ago the focus was the Doors...a few years ago it was Jackson Browne...the Eagles are in full focus at the moment! (and for over a year now! though they've been a big part of the soundtrack of my life for many many year!)

and there are definitely worse things to be obsessed about or addicted to!
    Last edited by Thirsty&Hot; 03-01-2014 at 02:45 AM.
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

That's for sure, T&H!

I will always be somewhat obsessed with the Eagles, but it fades a bit now and again. Especially when I'm obsessed with another group or artist too. But they will ALWAYS be there for me.

Right now I'm kind of 'in' to the Beatles and digging around and listening to their music a bit more. When I went to my Jackson Browne concert a while back, it was all about him. Some come and go, but the Eagles are still there through it all! JB is pretty close to them for me.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Glad there are others out there with musical obsessions/phases. I once listened to a tape I made of Chicago for about a year without really realizing I had been playing it that long. And just within the last couple of years it was the Bee Gees, Steely Dan, Billy Joel, Elton John, Red Hot Chili Peppers and John Mayer. Not much appeals to me these days, I must be getting old, my musical tastes are regressing. Having cranked up the Eagles for the last year I think I've found somewhere to go for a while at least before going back and rehashing the bands I went through in the 80's!

Stuck on the Border

Here is a confession; I am a lot less obsessed with the Eagles than I was. I don't listen to them that often (although I have to keep myself away from Glenn's After Hours album).

People who know me on this board know about my passion for Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler. That never changes & neither does how I feel about the Beatles, Rolling Stones & Led Zeppelin. The most recent passion I have though, although I have been a fan for a long time, is David Bowie. He is a great songwriter. In fact my desktop wallpaper for the past three weeks has been him & not Glenn or the Eagles. I am also really enjoying Bryan Ferry, Genesis & Phil Collins a lot at the moment.

Hey Zoe! Nice to hear from you again!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Welcome back!