Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FOR THE MUSICIANS AMONG US

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: FOR THE MUSICIANS AMONG US

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I can read music thanks to piano lessons I took as a kid. Every Good Boy Does Fine; Great Big Dreams For America! lol.

I learned the notes and names of guitar chords not to play guitar, but to use a guitar songbook to play songs on the piano. Why? Well, the guitar songbook was the only songbook we had with popular music - it was bought by mistake, as no one in the family played guitar, when Dad purchased the family a keyboard. Oops! The only other "songbooks" we had were hymnals. Using the guitar songbook to play piano led to me knowing what chords like A7 and D7 consist of in terms of where to put my fingers on a keyboard, not on a guitar neck.

I also played violin for several years in middle school and high school. When I was a teen, I got up to first chair first violin in the Southeast Texas Youth Orchestra - my musical crowning achievement.

That's it, folks. I haven't played violin in years and to call me a "musician" would be a joke. I do enjoy reading about the real deal, though!
    You can play the piano and you can find chords on it. You have played violin (not exactly the easiest of instruments) and played the first violin in an orchestra. And "to call you a musician would be a joke".

Now, if I understood correctly, this thread wasn't about professional musicians only. I think the word "musician" was meant to be used rather broadly in this thread. So you certainly qualify. Playing the violin is a lot more demanding that strumming a few chords on the guitar!

Well, ok then! lol

So I'll add that I have indeed been recorded - by my parents' video camera!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post

You can play the piano and you can find chords on it. You have played violin (not exactly the easiest of instruments) and played the first violin in an orchestra. And "to call you a musician would be a joke".

Now, if I understood correctly, this thread wasn't about professional musicians only. I think the word "musician" was meant to be used rather broadly in this thread. So you certainly qualify. Playing the violin is a lot more demanding that strumming a few chords on the guitar!

Right - even folks who just sit in their room and play for themselves belong on this thread. Sounds like you've gone beyond that, sodascouts.

"You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!"