Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FOR THE MUSICIANS AMONG US

Default FOR THE MUSICIANS AMONG US

Here’s a thread for the musicians in the group. I’d like to find out a little more about you girls ‘n’ guys. Note - this is not just for guitar and bass; maybe you play drums or keyboards. Maybe you play rock 'n' roll tuba! I’ll do my profile and you’ll get an idea of what I’m looking for:

NAME (OR USERNAME IF YOU WANT TO BE INCOGNITO): Rick Endres

MAIN INSTRUMENT(S): Six and Twelve string acoustic guitars; also harmonica.

WHAT BRAND IS (ARE) YOUR INSTRUMENT(S)? Ovation 1971 Balladeer 6-string (main axe); Ovation 1976 Pacemaker 12-string; Ovation 2006 CS257 6-string; Ibanez AEF18TVS 6-string.

WHAT’S YOUR SKILL LEVEL – BEGINNER, INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED: Advanced rhythm guitar

HOW LONG HAVE PLAYING? 43 years

DO YOU PLAY OUT LIVE, OR JUST AROUND THE HOUSE? Live; 6 to 8 gigs a month (sometimes more in the summer!)

IF YOU PLAY LIVE, WHAT TYPE OF GEAR DO YOU USE? Roland AC 60 acoustic chorus combo amp (vocal and guitar channels). When I play with my band(s), I piggyback it into a Yamaha compact PA. SM 58 Shure vocal mic. Undersaddle pickups in guitars; some nights when I feel like a purist, though, I’ll mic the guitars with a Shure SM 57a.

HAVE YOU EVER RECORDED (OR BEEN RECORDED)? Yes; recorded a CD of cover tunes (“Playin’ Favorites”) and am working on a CD of originals. Also, Runnin’ On Empty band is recording a CD of covers tentatively titled “California Dreamin’ “.

FAVORITE ARTISTS/BANDS: Eagles (obviously); James Taylor; Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young; Neil Young; Jackson Browne; Coldplay; Gordon Lightfoot; Black Keys; Pure Prairie League; Matchbox 20; Creedence Clearwater Revival; Dan Fogelberg; John Fogerty; John Prine; Hootie & the Blowfish; Allman Bros.; Marshall Tucker band…among others.

FAVORITE TYPE OF GIG: Wineries, restaurants and small clubs; outside on patios and decks in the summer at wineries, restaurants and small clubs; private parties. Not into the bar scene anymore; don’t need to be. I have plenty to keep me busy!

ANY ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I love playing. I’ll keep playing if I need to come out on a walker. In fact I could probably modify one so it converts into a guitar stool with microphone attachments!
    Last edited by rick endres; 03-06-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Default Re: FOR THE MUSICIANS AMONG US

NAME (OR USERNAME IF YOU WANT TO BE INCOGNITO): Austin/WalshFan88

MAIN INSTRUMENT(S): Electric Guitar, 6/12 String Acoustic Guitar

WHAT BRAND IS (ARE) YOUR INSTRUMENT(S)? Gibson, Fender, Paul Reed Smith, Music Man, Carvin, Taylor, Nash, Epiphone

WHAT’S YOUR SKILL LEVEL – BEGINNER, INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED: Intermediate Lead Guitar, Advanced Rhythm Guitar

HOW LONG HAVE PLAYING? 8 years

DO YOU PLAY OUT LIVE, OR JUST AROUND THE HOUSE? Live and at home, I gig when I can (which is more in the summer and usually around 2-4 shows a month). Not a weekend warrior or do a ton of gigs, it's more informal and more of a party band for special events.

IF YOU PLAY LIVE, WHAT TYPE OF GEAR DO YOU USE? Carvin PA system. Shure SM57 on the amp. Fender Twin Reverb or Super Reverb or both in stereo depending on the size. Pedalboard with all the flavors to cover every tone needed. Usually a few guitars to cover the bases.

HAVE YOU EVER RECORDED (OR BEEN RECORDED)? No. I record videos for YouTube but I'm not a songwriter or a session guy. My knack was always replicating recorded parts and playing them live as a sideman, and more close to the record rather than doing the original record.

FAVORITE ARTISTS/BANDS: Eagles, Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Fleetwood Mac, Joe Walsh (solo), Cream, etc. Lots of classic rock - could name them all day.

FAVORITE TYPE OF GIG: Backyard BBQs, small local festivals, and any parties

ANY ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I've been playing around 8 years. I picked up a guitar because of Hotel California and it saved my life as I was in a very scary dark place in my life. I advanced quicker because it was all I did all day with little-to-no breaks. I'm medically disabled and so it gave me something to do and I practiced like crazy (8+ hours a day). I'm 25 now and I taught myself how to play. I was in a touring Eagles tribute band for a short while but that band stopped when people moved away and my health became more of an issue. I like the cover band I'm in now. I'm a big classic rock nut who dabbles in RnB (motown) and Country. I'm also a HUGE gearhead and love buying and talking guitars, pickups, pedals, amps, even picks and strings!

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Rick and Austin - I can see you two guys talking about gear 24/7!

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Baby View Post
    Rick and Austin - I can see you two guys talking about gear 24/7!
    Me too! I can talk about this stuff in my sleep, and often do!!!

So can I! Thanks for the replies, guys!

Oh I would like to see you rock in your sleep Austin

Not as hard to do as it sounds...

"You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!"

Quote Originally Posted by bluefeather View Post
    Oh I would like to see you rock in your sleep Austin
    Hehe!

Do vocalists count? I don't play, but I've been singing for years.

Absolutely vocalists count! Your instrument is your voice. Tell us about yourself...

"You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!"