Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy's TV appearances

Default Randy's TV appearances

Does anyone know how many times Randy has performed on TV? I'm referring to musical performances, not as part of the news.

Here's what I can think of:

1. Ironsides with The Poor, 1966-67
    2. The Mike Douglas Show with Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band, 1970
    3. Don Kirshner's Rock Concert with the Eagles, 1973
    4. Don Kirshner's Rock Concert with the Eagles & Jackson Browne/Linda Ronstadt, 1974
    4. Friday Nights with The Silverados, 1980
    5. A tv show in Nashville with Rick Roberts, 1985(?)

I'm sure I'm missing others. Was Farm Aid televised in 1990?

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Randy's TV appearances

#5, the Nashville Now show was done in November 1988
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TCSV-Tp-mA

I'm pretty sure Farm Aid 1990 was televised. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe_nZ2LpgdE

The following is not in order and contains random capitalizations:

Merv Griffin Show on AUGUST 3, 1982 "Playin' in the Deep End"

HELEN REDDY SHOW, 7-12-1973, season 1, episode #3
    Gladys Knight and the Pips, Helen Reddy, Mac Davis, The Eagles
    Helen Reddy hosted this variety hour, a summer replacement for The Flip Wilson Show

Solid Gold October 2, 1982
    Randy Meisner ("Never Been in Love")

Fridays Season 2 Episode 20 (February 27, 1981): Guest host Billy Crystal, musical guest Randy Meisner and the Silverados

The Ironside episode was called "Price Tag: Death"; it originally aired November 7, 1968.

If you look at the cached version of the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology, there were many more tv appearances with Rick Nelson. TV shows I've never heard of like the Joey Bishop Show. And don't forget the "Easy to Be Free" film of Rick and the Stone Canyon Band's 1969 tour, which was broadcast on television in 1973.

There's a lot out there that hasn't seen the digital light of day.

P.S. The "video" for Randy's song "Deep Inside My Heart" is actually from his December 1980 appearance on the Midnight Special tv show. Has it been taken off YouTube? Usually one can find it real easy, but there are only two very crappy, possibly virus-containing vids there now.

Thanks, NMB!! That's great info with exact dates and everything. Here's the updated list:

1. Ironsides with The Poor, 1968
    2. The Mike Douglas Show with Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band, 1970
    3. Easy To Be Free documentary, Rick Nelson 1969/broadcast 1973
    4. Don Kirshner's Rock Concert with the Eagles, 1973
    5. Helen Reddy Show with the Eagles, 7/12/73
    6. Don Kirshner's Rock Concert with the Eagles & Jackson Browne/Linda Ronstadt, 1974
    7. Midnight Special with The Silverados, 12/1980
    8. Fridays with The Silverados, 2/27/1981
    9. Merv Griffin Show 8/3/1982
    10.Solid Gold 10/02/1982
    11.Nashville Now with Rick Roberts, 11/1988
    12.Farm Aid with Poco, 1990

I will try looking into the Concert Chronology and will make a more complete list. Strange that the Rick Nelson doc didn't show on tv until 1973. Anyway, this is quite a number of TV shows. Imagine if someone could compile all the footage and put it on a DVD. I'd buy it!

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Oh my gosh, that would be so great to have like a DVD retrospective of Randy's performing career. I would hope that it could be an official release so (1) Randy could make some money off it and (2) there would be nice, clean copies of said footage.

For example, there is only one pristine clip - that I know of - from from Rick Nelson's "Easy to Be Free"; the rest of the film is in abysmal shape. If nothing else, I hope the Nelson family (assuming they own it) will release a good copy. Mr. Nelson still has a lot of fans in the U.S. and especially the U.K., and his twin sons in particular care deeply about his musical legacy.

But I digress... Delilah, what is the 1973 Don Kirschner appearance that you refer to?

Also, I just remembered there was an ABC broadcast from Los Angeles in August 1973: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles...-23db28ab.html

And also the wonderful Central Park concert from August 1972 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omT70WrD7bQ

Wow, great work to both of you sleuths, Delilah and NightMistBlue! I just love it when y'all start digging around.

What a great memory to have, I would definitely purchase this on DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    #5, the Nashville Now show was done in November 1988
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TCSV-Tp-mA

I'm pretty sure Farm Aid 1990 was televised. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe_nZ2LpgdE

The following is not in order and contains random capitalizations:

Merv Griffin Show on AUGUST 3, 1982 "Playin' in the Deep End"

HELEN REDDY SHOW, 7-12-1973, season 1, episode #3
    Gladys Knight and the Pips, Helen Reddy, Mac Davis, The Eagles
    Helen Reddy hosted this variety hour, a summer replacement for The Flip Wilson Show

Solid Gold October 2, 1982
    Randy Meisner ("Never Been in Love")

Fridays Season 2 Episode 20 (February 27, 1981): Guest host Billy Crystal, musical guest Randy Meisner and the Silverados

The Ironside episode was called "Price Tag: Death"; it originally aired November 7, 1968.

If you look at the cached version of the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology, there were many more tv appearances with Rick Nelson. TV shows I've never heard of like the Joey Bishop Show. And don't forget the "Easy to Be Free" film of Rick and the Stone Canyon Band's 1969 tour, which was broadcast on television in 1973.

There's a lot out there that hasn't seen the digital light of day.

P.S. The "video" for Randy's song "Deep Inside My Heart" is actually from his December 1980 appearance on the Midnight Special tv show. Has it been taken off YouTube? Usually one can find it real easy, but there are only two very crappy, possibly virus-containing vids there now.
    Is that the duet with Kim Carnes?

NBC Special -A 70's Celebration "The Beat is Back"

Tribute to the Eagles Richard Marx and Randy Meisner

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JIFKyYaoRPA

Starts around 1:44:00

Wow, he looks so good ... That smile ... That voice.

Last edited by Dawn; 05-05-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Good one, Dawn! OMG, how did I forget that? November 1993. The whole show is great - Donna Summer, the Bee Gees, Gloria Gaynor. High energy and excellent performances. It's very much geared toward the dance music of the time though, not much rock or pop.

And oh my gosh, are any of you old enough to remember PM Magazine? It was a half-hour tv show that was syndicated around the country. Randy was featured in a April 8, 1981 episode.

P.S. The Midnight Special episode (duet with Kim Carnes) was December 5, 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Good one, Dawn! OMG, how did I forget that? November 1993. The whole show is great - Donna Summer, the Bee Gees, Gloria Gaynor. High energy and excellent performances. It's very much geared toward the dance music of the time though, not much rock or pop.

And oh my gosh, are any of you old enough to remember PM Magazine? It was a half-hour tv show that was syndicated around the country. Randy was ight then and there in a April 8, 1981 episode.

P.S. The Midnight Special episode (duet with Kim Carnes) was December 5, 1980.
    Thanks NMB, I always loved Randy's duet with Kim. And seriously, if he had smiled at me like he did several times to Kim I'd have passed out on the stage. Talk about sweet.

He is dangerously cute.