Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn to induct Linda Ronstadt into HOF on April 10

Default Re: Glenn to induct Linda Ronstadt into HOF on April 10

PART ONE: THE LEAD UP!

I arrived in Brooklyn about 1:00 pm. The first thing I did was check out the Barclay Center, but there was no red carpet being set up. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as I needed to go get ready, not hang around. Plus, it was pretty windy and cold! I went off, got dressed, and rode the subway back.

This is what the marquee looked like outside the venue:

I saw NYC fan on the way to my seat and we chatted a bit. Too bad we couldn't do anything afterward, but she was in a rush!

I passed the VIP entrance on the way to my seat and almost got run over by Michael Douglas. Sting was also milling about. There were celebs everywhere!

Finally, I got to my seat. It was not bad, not bad at all! Here's the view:

There were too many celebrities at the tables on the floor to count!

I looked in vain for Glenn and Stevie, but I saw all of the inductees as they were at the tables closest to the front (sometimes switching around a bit). Here's a photo I took of the section of the floor closest to us (the red-haired lady turned away is Bonnie Raitt):

The night started out with the induction of Peter Gabriel, announced by Chris Martin. I really enjoyed his performance of "In Your Eyes."

Cat Stevens was next. He joked about how he couldn't believe someone who didn't do drugs, didn't sleep around, and worshiped one God would be inducted. His performances were fantastic! I didn't know the first song he did, but I loved "Wild World" and "Peace Train" was terrific, too.

Then it was time for KISS, and boy, were a lot of KISS fans there. Some of them were in full makeup. My cousin's wife is in a KISS tribute fans and I once dated a KISS fan, so I know there are many cool ones. However, sitting behind me were two members of the KISS army that were completely obnoxious jerks! They talked loudly through all of the speeches and performances, and even when the members of KISS were giving their speeches, they still weren't quiet! They felt the need to loudly holler "GENE!!!" "PAAAUL!" "KISS! KISS! KISS!" as the guys talked. UGH! Oh well, it didn't ruin my night, but what idiots!

As you guys know, KISS decided not to perform. I wasn't devastated. I was eagerly awaiting what would come next...

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

PART TWO: LINDA'S INDUCTION

There were two lecterns - one on the far side of the stage away from me, and one on the side of the stage close to me. I desperately hoped that Glenn would speak from the one near me, but apparently they were changing sides with each announcer.

Glenn strode out looking like he owned the place. He also looked like he'd lost a bit of weight. He leaned in to the mike and declared, "I’m Glenn Frey - and it is my great pleasure tonight to induct Linda Ronstadt into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I’d like to start by saying it’s about time!" It was as great start and the speech just flowed from there - impassioned and sincere. He did a great job, as you can see for yourself:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkBZDI1LgXs[/ame]

I took a picture of the "technotron" in the middle of the venue while Glenn talked, since from my view, I could only get him from the side:

After he finished and introduced Carrie Underwood, he walked offstage. I thought that was the last I would see of Glenn, as before the show this segment had been billed as "Legendary Ladies Pay Tribute to Linda." I knew it was just a matter of time before Carrie was joined by Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris, Sheryl Crow, and of course STEVIE NICKS, but I had no idea Glenn would join them!

The women came out little by little. After Carrie Underwood did "Different Drum," she introduced Bonnie Raitt and Emmylou Harris, who joined her for "Blue Bayou." It was lovely.

Then, Sheryl Crow was introduced. As she headed to the center microphone, I saw the stagehands scrambling to get another microphone lined up off to the side, which I assumed was for Stevie. I saw Glenn come out unannounced and thought, "Oh, he's going to watch them from the stage! Cool!" I was astonished when HE walked up to the new microphone and joined in to back Sheryl Crow for "You're No Good." Emmylou Harris smiled at him and gestured towards him, like she was pleased he was there. It was cute. He seemed to be having a blast - they all did.

They all sounded amazing, but I couldn't even concentrate on the song because I kept thinking that Stevie would surely come out soon... would Glenn stay? The idea of my two faves being up there together was almost too much to comprehend. I was terrified he was only going to stay out for the one song and it would be one of those "so close and yet so far" moments.

So, I'm glad it was captured so I can watch it now! (Thanks for finding it, TG!)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffFunXDH54[/ame]

My fears were put to rest when Stevie came out to do "It's So Easy!" She started towards Glenn and for a millisecond it seemed like they would even be standing together, but he directed her to the center microphone. She was too adorable as she hurried towards it, almost missing her cue.

And then... they sang! Stevie and Glenn (and the rest lol) sang together! It was like a dream come true for me! I have such mad love for these two singers and to have them perform together like that... it was so overwhelming that I started shaking like a leaf and my knees felt weak. I tried to take a photo but my trembling hands only managed this:

Thanks for doing better, Getty Images:

Though he was on the far lectern for the speech, as you can see from my photo, I was lucky enough to have him performing on the end of the stage near me! As they performed, I watched breathlessly with wide eyes, my hand clutched to my chest as if to hold in my pounding heart which was threatening to burst. Tidal waves of emotion surged through me. My thoughts were a jumble of "OH MY GOSH I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING I'M SO LUCKY I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS OH MY GOSH STEVIE AND GLENN TOGETHER THIS IS AMAZING THIS IS UNREAL" etc. lol

It was over all too soon, and Glenn left the stage after the song. Even though I wish he'd have stayed on until the tribute was over, I guess "When Will I Be Loved" was designed as a showpiece of shared leads between the five women. I'm just glad he decided to jump in when he did... and WITH STEVIE!

I still can't believe it. I don't think I'll ever see those two perform together again (although you never know). So glad I went. SO GLAD.

I'm just going to post this epic performance again!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzUVStSTLwY[/ame]

SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Oh, BTW, some other acts got inducted after that, I think.

Stuck on the Border

Absolutely wonderful, Soda.

The only strange thing is his appearance was planned. He had rehearsed with them at soundcheck as he explains here:

You performed tonight with Stevie Nicks, Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt, Sheryl Crow, Carrie Underwood in a tribute to Linda Rondstadt. What was that like?
    Soundcheck yesterday had a very transcendent feel for me. It was absolutely amazing to know that we were going to be standing up there, especially when we were vocal rehearsing, and we were all kind of standing in a circle together, and there’s Emmylou and Bonnie and Carrie and Sheryl and Stevie. Just to be with all that great talent, it’s a lot of fun for us. And, of course, all of us love Linda.

Hmm. I guess the stage hands just didn't have their act together, then! Maybe they didn't announce him because he'd already told everyone who he was. for me, the fact that it was a surprise made it even more intense, so I'm glad they kept it quiet!

sounds like it was an awesome night Soda...glad you were there!

Thanks for the tantalizing review with photos, Soda. And I appreciate your kind words about Cat Steven's performance.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Sounds like your dream come true Soda. So glad you got to attend. It was a great performance..

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

As I have said before, what an ultra rare night! I can tell from the videos and write ups that it was simply AMAZING!!! And I am SO happy for you Soda! I know you were thrilled and truly appreciated the specialness of the performances with Stevie and Glenn. To actually witness it would have been unbelievable for me! That is a memory to cherish and keep reliving!!

Thank you for the great review Soda! How are you going to top that adventure?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

This bothered me a little. From the interview with Glenn afterwards:

"You presented the Rock and Roll induction speech for Linda Ronstadt, who used to be a backup singer for the Eagles. "

Ummmmm, she wasn't a back up singer for the Eagles. Or did I miss something a long time ago?

Soda, what a wonderful time you had! I'm so glad you got to go and got to see Glenn and Stevie perform together! Awesome! Wonderful review of it all too! You go girl!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Clips from backstage interviews with Glenn & Emmylou Harris: https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...tR7koXrPojLgWw