Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Glenn to induct Linda Ronstadt into HOF on April 10

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn to induct Linda Ronstadt into HOF on April 10

Soda, did you see Nirvana's performances? Did you see St. Vincent (Annie Clark) sing one of their songs? I saw her on Saturday Night Live and I'm obsessed with her. I was wondering if you saw her performance.

Yes, we stayed all the way until the end. Nirvana was big when I was a kid and I remember singing along to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" with my friends.

As for St. Vincent, I had never heard of her before that night. In fact, I only recognized Joan Jett and Lorde out of the female stand-ins for Kurt Cobain.

The woman who performed before her was Kim Gordon (from Sonic Youth). She seemed drunk and/or high. At one point, she actually flopped to the floor during her performance. Maybe it was supposed to be on purpose, and she tried to play it off like that by singing a bit on her knees before clumsily getting back to her feet... but from the reactions of the people onstage, they weren't expecting it! Then she started spinning around, swinging the microphone from its cord, trailing it on the ground.. after the song was over, she slurred something indiscernible into the microphone before staggering offstage.

I say all this because my friend and I were so busy talking about how awful Kim Gordon that we didn't really get a chance to appreciate Annie Clark, I'm afraid! However, when I saw the HBO broadcast, I liked her well enough. I wasn't blown away, but "Lithium" is pretty freaking hard to sing like Kurt Cobain because you have to be both intense and dispassionate... the song is from the point of view of a person who wants desperately to sound like he doesn't care and defiantly asserts everything is fine, when actually he is in complete despair. That's hard to pull off. Kurt could pull it off because he was living it. I hope for her sake she never has reason to be as convincing as he was!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Cool. Agree Kim Gordon's performance was painfully awkward. Yikes.

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

yeah I was kinda taken aback by Kim Gordon's performance as well...I even checked to see how old she was and was amazed to learn she's 61! and awkwardly flailing around like that on stage. That's not that old, but I would find it painful to flail around like that now at age 31. she definitely seemed a little out of it, but I was never a big Sonic Youth fan, so I'm not sure if she was always wacky like that.

then again Kurt was a bit wacky and would probably roll around on stage sometimes..and wore dresses sometimes..so maybe she was just trying to emulate Kurt's essence.

I did like the idea of all women covering for Kurt. and dug the other performances. love Joan Jett
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

The induction segment in its entirety, including the introductory video and Glenn's speech:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1z...utefixed_music

Ok. I finally watch RRHOF thanks to HBO having a free weekend.

It was great. Glenn did a great job with his speech. I enjoyed performance.

Funny story. So I was at a camp this past week and I saw that RRHOF was coming on while I was up there, but it was coming on 3:15am. So I set my alarm so I can watch it, but I didn't know when he was coming on.

Well I remembered watching a little of Peter and the end of Kiss, but I didn't know she was between them. I would fall asleep and then wake up. Oh well. I finally saw it. I did see Glenn in the audience.

Just to let everyone know..there are tons of pics on Getty Images..beautiful pics..such as this one...483906677uiy.jpg

Thanks!

Stuck on the Border

From and interview with Linda Ronstadt:
    SPAZ: Now, what were your thoughts on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
    LINDA: I have to give you a little clue here - I’ve never seen anything to do with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I didn’t even know it was a TV special until last year - somebody told me. So, you know, what do I know? I don’t play music for prizes. It’s not important to me. It’s always nice to be acknowledged and nobody likes to work in a vacuum. With that being said, it was awfully nice of Glenn Frey to put on his clothes and trudge down to Barclays Theater and make a little speech, which he sent to me, and I really appreciated. What a dear soul he is, and for him to say nice things about me is just very touching to me. Otherwise, who cares? (laughs) Well, I don’t know what to say. It’s not a thing I think about. Other people have thought about it 50 million times more than I ever have.

Thanks for that. Glad she showed a little appreciation for Glenn's speech, at least.