Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dumb things said about The Eagles

Banned

Default Re: Dumb things said about The Eagles

Originally Posted by Funk 50
    Taylor's quote is that "the Eagles would be dead in the water without him"

The Eagles are great writers, great performers and arrangers and work hard at their craft but their early, pre-Walsh hits, as great as they are, just don't translate as well, in huge arenas (unless you're sat in the first few rows).
    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Again I don't agree with this.

Also I think you said you haven't seen them since 2011 & yet you are happy to make these generalisations based on 4 year old memories. I haven't seen them since 2010, but my memories are the opposite of yours. As far as I was concerned the pre Walsh songs worked just fine for me & I could tell, for most of the audience. Lyin' Eyes especially has the crowd singing along, as does TITTL.

I think you are placing far too much emphasis on Walsh & downplaying the talents of the other members.

I'm only defending Taylor's comment.

Glenn, to his credit, recruited Joe back in 1975 because even he thought the live shows needed a boost. That's what turned them into a headline act.

Currently the Eagles are just a touring act. If they don't sell tickets, they're done.

I haven't seen the Eagles since 2011 but their shows haven't changed much since the first time I saw them in 1996.

Stuck on the Border

It's fairly common for "classic" acts to team up for shows, so I imagine the Eagles could do that, too. Not that I think Joe is going anywhere soon. He reaches a much bigger audience as part of the Eagles than he would solo. The whole is worth more than the sum of its parts and that holds true for Joe, too.

However, I'll agree that the show comes alive in the second half and while Joe plays a big part in that, it's not just him. When they start on the rockers, Eagles material included, they are more energised. It's how they structure the set.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    It's also possible that Taylor just got a bit carried away while praising Joe and therefore exaggerated a little. He probably didn't mean to diss the other guys with this statement.
    So if it was just a way to praise Joe and not meant literally, it wasn't that dumb a comment.
    (Trying to find some middle ground here...)
    Yes, I was thinking later that it was probably his way of saying Joe is underrated, and he is. While somewhat true in the Eagles, he is definitely underrated when compared to other guitar players. I realize I'm biased, but he's one of the best, and he doesn't get the praise he deserves from those who sit and make stupid lists of best guitar players.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I haven't seen the Eagles since 2011 but their shows haven't changed much since the first time I saw them in 1996.
    I saw them once in 2011 (in Vegas), and a few times in 2012. This HOTE show is different and far better. It would be very hard to look at a set list and see that it's different. When even long time fans who go to multiple shows and pay over $600 for a ticket sit and blink their eyes in stunned wonder at the end of a song like Lyin' Eyes, it says something. I was at the Indianapolis show with a lot of people who'd been to the opening show in Louisville (the cities are less than two hours apart), and that was the looks on their faces. It's impossible for me to describe the difference.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Currently the Eagles are just a touring act. If they don't sell tickets, they're done.
    I don't follow sales/charts, but as far as I know the last studio album they released did rather well. If so, they certainly could make new albums, but choose not to.

Agreed on the HOTE show being better... I saw them on the LROOE tour and the HOTE tour. The HOTE tour was WAY better. Mostly due to the setlist (additions of Already Gone, Those Shoes, etc) for me, as well as the fact it was less formal and out of the funeral suits and seemed more intimate.

Border Troubadour

With regards to the LROOE tour, I know this has been discussed in the past on here, I would much prefer them (or any band indeed) to play just four or five pieces from the new work and then stick to what the punters probably shelled out to see. Like with the Eagles, using this random date from the tour, you have 9/28 as new songs, with legendary hits like New Kid in Town, Tequila Sunrise, Already Gone and Best of My Love sacrificed. I'd personally go for the title song then one vocal each then just stick to what you've done for the past however many years. I'm sure your bog-standard Eagles fan would much rather hear something like Already Gone or NKIT, a song which they most likely grew up on or whatever, than a pretty bang average song from your latest album. Just my opinion though!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah, the band has made no secret that they believe folks want to hear the hits, and for that reason here is a core group of songs that they never drop. I happen to agree with them. There are enough variations in the set list and there is always a brand new set for each tour and some rearranged songs to keep it interesting and keep many of us buying tickets. Although, I have been a huge fan since the very beginning, I never had a chance to see them live until 2003. I didn't see them again until 2005 and I don't think I've missed a year since seeing them live or solo. And I'm gonna keep on going as long as I can. I would also agree that for a hardcore like me, this HOTE tour is the best yet, and that's a high compliment from someone who has loved each and every show that I've seen!

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    It's also possible that Taylor just got a bit carried away while praising Joe and therefore exaggerated a little. He probably didn't mean to diss the other guys with this statement.
    So if it was just a way to praise Joe and not meant literally, it wasn't that dumb a comment.
    (Trying to find some middle ground here...)
    lol Toni. Nice try at being a peacemaker, but no matter what the motivation, it was still a dumb comment, IMO!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I'm only defending Taylor's comment.

Glenn, to his credit, recruited Joe back in 1975 because even he thought the live shows needed a boost. That's what turned them into a headline act.

They were a headline act before Joe joined.

The shows have changed a great deal since 1996. If you didn't notice any changes, fair enough but others have pointed them out. For a start there are no Don Henley solo songs now. They don't have a brass section. They don't have an acoustic segment in the second half. Henley plays drums on songs he didn't play on before.

They are selling tickets. I'm not sure why you keep saying if they don't they're done. If you are implying that they only sell tickets because people come to see Joe, I couild not disagree more.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I think compared to most bands the Eagles seem less worried about 'playing the new stuff', even back in the 1970s - see Lyin' Eyes and Take It To The Limit only becoming regulars in 1976 rather than immediately after the release of One Of These Nights. Frankly they have more than enough really good songs to fill a setlist anyway, even more so with the inevitable inclusion of Walsh solo songs (and prior to the HOTE tour, solo Don and to a lesser extent solo Glenn), so even with three hour shows something has to give. Fortunately, in the case of HOTE this has mainly been solo work, enabling the aforementioned 'lost classics' to rub shoulders with the big hits.

I must admit I think the Eagles should play at least one song from LROOE on the history tour. Yes, it's relatively recent compared to most of their other work but it makes it look like they think the album isn't up to scratch (which I have to disagree to with). If they only had a limited amount of time to give to the album to fit everything else in I think the title track would be a bit too long to include, as perhaps would WITW as terrific as it is, but I think playing How Long would be a great idea as it's recognised by fans of the early days on top of being an excellent tune. Somebody would be a cool inclusion too. Also, I know many are likely to disagree but as far as Tim songs go I'd rather they played Do Something than Love Will Keep Us Alive.

Off-topic: just had a look through the list of songs played by the Eagles and discovered that they played Chug All Night with Neil Young in 1974 along with Carol and Neil's own Down By The River. On the same night according to this site he also played for the first time three songs from his then new On The Beach - Vampire Blues, Ambulance Blues and the brilliant Revolution Blues. If someone invents time travel I'd love to go and see that concert!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-y...-7bc10678.html