Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dumb things said about The Eagles

Default Re: Dumb things said about The Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I think compared to most bands the Eagles seem less worried about 'playing the new stuff', even back in the 1970s - see Lyin' Eyes and Take It To The Limit only becoming regulars in 1976 rather than immediately after the release of One Of These Nights. Frankly they have more than enough really good songs to fill a setlist anyway, even more so with the inevitable inclusion of Walsh solo songs (and prior to the HOTE tour, solo Don and to a lesser extent solo Glenn), so even with three hour shows something has to give. Fortunately, in the case of HOTE this has mainly been solo work, enabling the aforementioned 'lost classics' to rub shoulders with the big hits.

I must admit I think the Eagles should play at least one song from LROOE on the history tour. Yes, it's relatively recent compared to most of their other work but it makes it look like they think the album isn't up to scratch (which I have to disagree to with). If they only had a limited amount of time to give to the album to fit everything else in I think the title track would be a bit too long to include, as perhaps would WITW as terrific as it is, but I think playing How Long would be a great idea as it's recognised by fans of the early days on top of being an excellent tune. Somebody would be a cool inclusion too. Also, I know many are likely to disagree but as far as Tim songs go I'd rather they played Do Something than Love Will Keep Us Alive.

Off-topic: just had a look through the list of songs played by the Eagles and discovered that they played Chug All Night with Neil Young in 1974 along with Carol and Neil's own Down By The River. On the same night according to this site he also played for the first time three songs from his then new On The Beach - Vampire Blues, Ambulance Blues and the brilliant Revolution Blues. If someone invents time travel I'd love to go and see that concert!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-y...-7bc10678.html
    Johny Come Lately I love Neil Young's Vampire & Revolution Blues. And that was from the first time I heard them when I was a wee lassy! Agree with you.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

One time PLS, Dreamer, and I heard a guy call the Eagles "one-hit wonders."

Our reaction:

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

OMG - I remember that well! I mean really???

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned

I suppose the explanation for ignoring LROOE during the HOTE tour, despite it's success is that people would rather hear the old hits. I'm thinking this argument is a bit dumb.

I've read many, many posts on this site of extra special, non casual Eagles fans and I've noticed that most of the posters didn't become Eagles fans until the second incarnation of the band.

I didn't think much of the HFO version of Help Me Thru The Night but when people mention that song to me, that seems to be the version they are referring to.

I remember a radio DJ, explaining why the radio always played the latest chart hits rather than the classic old stuff (before the classic radio format took off) and he said (paraphrasing of course), if I play something from 10 years ago, it may spark a memory for maybe 20% of the audience, 5 years ago, it maybe up to 60% but everybody gets to experience a new song together and they'll create a memory to go with it.

I'd bet that the majority of Eagles fans memories of Doolin-Dalton/Desperado reprise are less than 10 years old. To some it could even be a new track released after the Long Road Out Of Eden album.

If Doolin Dalton was from LROOE, which did a tonne better than Desperado album did, when it was first released, it wouldn't have been performed during the HOTE tour. You could say the same for every track in the show.

In the past, millions of people bought the records, even more millions of people heard the Eagles on the radio. That's not the case in the 21st Century so there is a chicken and egg situation. The audience want to hear something they are familiar with. Playing a song live, familiarises the audience with the track.

The first time I saw the Eagles in 1996, I was quite apprehensive, I had my whole family of casual and non music fans with me and I felt I'd look a right fool if the Eagles turned out to be rubbish live. First song, Hotel California, brilliant, worth going, no worries, enjoyed the rest of the show.

The rest of the first set was fine but wasn't up to the standard of Hotel California. The second set started good then became an absolute joy when they started rocking. Everyone I was eith was knocked out by the performance.

Without Hotel California at the start, though, my apprehension could've dragged on for a good portion of the show and made it less enjoyable.

In the last several years the Eagles have tried a shortened set list,with a support act or dual headliner thing but they've returned to the format that sells the most tickets.

No support act, an easy going first set and then a rocking out closing set and mandatory encores. Even the History Of The Eagles has been compromised to fit that formula.

The Eagles are successful because they're always better than expected, despite the huge price of the tickets. The ability to deliver than winning formula is more important than the number of hits they play. IMHO.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    The Eagles are successful because they're always better than expected, despite the huge price of the tickets. The ability to deliver than winning formula is more important than the number of hits they play. IMHO.
    I agree with this! For me personally, one reason I'm willing to see them so often and pay such high prices is that it's difficult for me to tolerate live music. There are a lot of bands that get out there on that stage and almost get it right. For some, the entertainment and performance tops execution. Dancing around on stage is more important than having the breath to hit a note. For others, they're just phoning it in, doing what they have to in order to get back off the stage. I like a lot bands and artists across several genres, but I've limited myself to seeing the Eagles, Seger, and Billy Joel for this reason. There are others I'm open to seeing if they ever come close to where I live. For people who see a lot of acts live, seeing the Eagles is always a bit of a revelation on what live music can and should sound like.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I suppose the explanation for ignoring LROOE during the HOTE tour, despite it's success is that people would rather hear the old hits. I'm thinking this argument is a bit dumb.
    So are you using this thread to call the band members dumb, then, since they themselves make this argument?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

er... Yes. I'm uncomfortable calling anyone dumb or stupid but it's the name of the thread!

I'm very pleased that the band put that argument forward themselves, I was thinking that maybe I'd made it up.

Back in 1976, with a Greatest Hits album fresh out of the oven, the Eagles concerts featured a few tracks from Hotel California before the album was released along with some Joe Walsh solo numbers. I'd be surprised if that is what the audience were expecting. Cheap tickets, different era etc.

Ignoring an album in a History Of The Eagles show is a serious omission even if it's not dumb.

For me, a couple that bother me are:

1. The band is a corporate rock band

2. They are too soft

I get tired of hearing people comment that they think the band can't rock or is corporate rock or pop rock or they are too soft. I put them right there in the same breath as the Stones, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Zeppelin, GnR, etc... To me with Walsh and Felder in the band it rocks as hard.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree with this, but I have to add that the ability to deliver the winning formula is because the major ingredient in that winning formula is those awesome songs. Although the band members say that often, Timothy actually repeated it once again just this past week in one of the Australian interviews.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    For me, a couple that bother me are:

1. The band is a corporate rock band

2. They are too soft

I get tired of hearing people comment that they think the band can't rock or is corporate rock or pop rock or they are too soft. I put them right there in the same breath as the Stones, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Zeppelin, GnR, etc... To me with Walsh and Felder in the band it rocks as hard.
    I don't thnk the Eagles are like any of those bands, not even the Stones & Zeppelin. The other bands listed do nothing for me. I don't know why everything has to be reduced to 'Walsh and Felder' all the time given that in reality there were only a handful of tracks that feature Walsh & Felder rocking 'hard' and given that neither man was in the band for its entirety. Their vocals & lyrics are something else and what they are best known for. Why can't they be given credit for that?