Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcoholism and Legal Marijuana

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Alcoholism and Legal Marijuana

Thank you for your personal stories everyone. This is what I was interested in. Supports my beliefs that alcohol abuse touches so many lives in so many countries, and I do worry about the impending issues from legalized pot. Also, seems like everyone who has been to an Eagles show this year has been subjected to nearby pot smoke. I don't really mind that, I feel like people are having a good time, I guess I'm mentioning it to make this topic relevant to the board! (But I guess it's already relevant since the thread is "Cheap talk and WINE"

I definitely think legalizing marijuana for recreational use is not a wise move. I think it encourages other drug use and can cause adverse effects.

I only drink very occasionally and when I do it's not very much as it has a tendency to make me loopy quicker than most people (probably due to some of my medication I'm on) but 1 or 2 here and there is fine.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Smoking Medical Marijuana is better than taking dangerous Pain Pills.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Gosh – this is such a complicated topic and I sure don’t claim to have the answer. I’ll go ahead and put my two cents in to offer a somewhat different perspective though. Alcoholism and drug addiction are prevalent in my family too, and I’ve seen them both destroy people and relationships firsthand as well. But quite honestly, I don’t think the destruction had anything to do with whether the substance of choice was legal or not. You all have given some good reasons against legalizing pot, but, again, I’m not convinced that the issue of legality has any direct or indirect link to the substance abuse. In the cases I’ve seen, the addict is going to find a way to get their drug of choice no matter if it’s legal alcohol, prescriptions drugs, or illegal substances. I don’t know if there is any real benefit to criminalizing its use. Now, I’m not saying that we shouldn’t criminalize the negative behavior that may be a result of substance abuse. In other words, to me, I don’t see a lot of benefit to locking someone up for possession of pot, but if the user goes out and steals to get the money to buy pot, then that’s definitely a criminal matter. I think the strongest arguments in favor of legalization are that there would be more regulation over what is actually in the substance being sold and also the revenue that a governmental entity could raise from taxation of the sales.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado Brooklyn Roads's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Smoking Medical Marijuana is better than taking dangerous Pain Pills.
    That can go two different ways. Any kind of drug will inhibit you in some way. Even a Benedryl can make someone very sleepy and may make them not think clearly on the road or on the job, hence the warning on the label.

With that being said, smoking medical marijuana may be better in some ways than pills, but it does have its drawbacks - damage to lungs, after effects, feeling hungry afterwards, unable to think clearly during and after use, hallucinogenic thoughts, etc.

I would not say it's better; I'd say it's about equal, for different reasons. That's just my opinion though. None of us are "wrong," we just have different views and this topic really strikes a chord with many of us who've been affected by the harming effects of any substance abuse.

Border Desperado Brooklyn Roads's Avatar

The stories on here are heart-wrenching. I am so sorry for those who've been truly effected by the carelessness of those who've gotten behind the wheel and driven drunk and do not take responsibility or have any remorse for their actions.

My 15 year old cousin (in 1991), went against her mother's wishes to go out with her friends to help celebrate one of her friend's brothers coming back from the Kuwait/Gulf War. The kids were partying hard, she was stuck out in the middle of no where and had to hop into an open truck with no seat belt and ride back home. The driver, who was under the influence, mistook a curve and over compensated when he turned back into his lane and crashed into a ditch. All involved were killed (about 13 kids in all and the 2nd deadliest crash in our county to date) and thrown from the vehicle. My cousin was one of them. She likely died from breaking her neck when she was thrown 100 ft from the vehicle. In my cousin's defense, they did an autopsy on her and found no alcohol in her bloodstream. I am proud of her. She stayed true to herself.

It is heartbreaking what drinking and drugs can do. It can change your life in a split second.
    Last edited by Brooklyn Roads; 04-19-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

well for me, to sit with your friend as she howls from the depths of her soul as she HOLDS HER 24 YEAR OLD SONS ASHES IN A BOX....its so sobering and helpless for there is nothing to say to comfort in this situation.

The man who drove his truck in front of her son who wore a helment on his motorcycle on his way home from work then drug him for blocks had an application for the tingy that you have to breath in to start the car but he never filled it out. He is a serial drunk driver.

Now his parents are fighting for something called "Liams LAw" to be passed with mandatory stiffer sentences but are being told that judges "don't like that".But they are working tirelessly for this and have found some lawmakers in pa to help support this

(bill.http://www.dailylocal.com/general-ne...t-tougher-laws)

Liam was a great guy and minding his own business when someone who couldn't control himself changed forever the lives of many including me.

I don't mind people enjoying themselves but don't drink and drive hand the keys over to someone who hasn't been drinking.'I am always the designated, lol I don't drink for a lot of reasons. ONe it messes with my medication ...if I did drink it would have to be the same each nite and it never appealed to me to have a drink each night..I'd rather eat dessert.lol
    But I was also raised and abused by an alcoholic step parent so it never appealed to me.

As for as pot....don't smoke it at a concert ..its not fair to others who don't want to be exposed to your second hand smoke. I really don't care what you do in the privacy of your own home..as long as you arent driving a car etc or hurting minor children or exposing them to second hand smoke.

for god sake....Since Jan I have buried two people who died from Lung cancer.
    all of the above is just my opinion. don't shoot me. You asked I told what I feel in my heart.
    I just have been directly affected by it....nothing will ever change that horrible wake for Dianes son Liam nothing will remove it from my mind it is burned there for eternity.
    Last edited by Tiffanny Twisted; 04-18-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Tiffany - that is so horrible - I'm so sorry for your friend. I'm glad that they are doing something to try and change the law. You never forget experiences like that. So sad.

One nice thing about this board is that we can all respectfully post our opinions. I don't think that you need to be worried that someone would be upset with you over your opinion.

I agree that there need to be tougher laws. When I was in high school, a friend of mine was drunk on the last day of school. She ran a stop sign and hit a motorcycle. The driver survived, but she killed the passenger on the back. She was never the same. Her life basically came to a halt. I ran into her about 10 years after we graduated, and she was still in counseling, and her life was still a mess. She never forgave herself. A careless stupid mistake in high school ( and most of us made some stupid mistakes as teenagers) has ruined her life. Although the family of the girl that was killed could argue that at least she is still alive. How hard would that be, to have to live with the knowledge that you took someone's life?

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

thanks tjh532 much appreciated.

I don't mean to get on the soap box..it just hits so close to home for me with the 1 year anniversary being april 28 and the guilty plea being entered this week.

I will never ever ever forget holding her as she held him in a box
    The last time I had talked to Liam he told me how proud of his Mom he was and how talented she was with her art. So for me it is a great memory with his big smile talking about his Mother...

You are right, the girl you know who had the accident her life on earth is forever changed over a split second bad decision or choice.
    Its ashame she doesn't do something like talk to kids about what happened and try and reach them that way.

as a former parents association president and vice president and board member at my sons high school, I always tried to have people come and talk to parents and students about things that would make them think and make good choices. (campus safety at college from a parent who lost a child to crime and started a foundation in her name and changed laws in PA) Maybe this girl could do some good for others from her horrible expierence.

sorry didn't mean to go on and on but my nerves are raw over this this week

SO touching in a HORRIBLE way TT, I'm so sad these kind of things seem to have to happen though they could be avoided