Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Guitars (and a whole lotta info!)

Default Re: Eagles Guitars (and a whole lotta info!)

Awesome photos VA!!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Out of interest who's the bloke behind Steuart on that final photo? I want to say Michael Thompson but he's changed a lot since F1 if that's the case!
    Yes, that's Michael!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Austin. I have a question. So the 12 string is mostly an acoustic guitar right? So Don F and Steuart are playing both the acoustic and electric guitar on HC?

Is the 12 string usually played by the one who's playing the actual playing the I guess the melody(I don't know what its called). For example, Glenn is playing the notes of HC, LE, and TIE while Don F, Steuart or Joe plays the leads.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Austin. I have a question. So the 12 string is mostly an acoustic guitar right? So Don F and Steuart are playing both the acoustic and electric guitar on HC?

The original recording of HC was 12 string acoustic. Live it is an electric 12 string as part of a doubleneck guitar. They make 12 string electric guitars by themselves as well.

Is the 12 string usually played by the one who's playing the actual playing the I guess the melody(I don't know what its called). For example, Glenn is playing the notes of HC, LE, and TIE while Don F, Steuart or Joe plays the leads.

Don Felder and now Stu plays the 12-string introduction melody that is picked (arpeggiated) that repeats through most of the song. Glenn strums the chords on a 12-string as well but that classic intro is played by DF or SS. The leads are done on the 6-string neck for DF/SS and Joe plays the leads on a 6 string electric. Joe mostly plays answer licks and chords up until the solos.
    Hope this helps!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Oh ok. So Steuart and Don F is actually playing the song with Glenn strumming in the background. Oh ok. I don't know why I thought Glenn was playing the actual song. So its Steuart/Don F 12 string guitar we hear playing throughout the song not Glenn's, but we hear Glenn more on TIE since both Don F(and now Steuart) and Joe playing the electric guitar on that song. I do notice Don F change over from the 12 string guitar to the 6 string a lot in the song.

Thanks. That does help.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Oh ok. So Steuart and Don F is actually playing the song with Glenn strumming in the background. Oh ok. I don't know why I thought Glenn was playing the actual song. So its Steuart/Don F 12 string guitar we hear playing throughout the song not Glenn's, but we hear Glenn more on TIE since both Don F(and now Steuart) and Joe playing the electric guitar on that song. I do notice Don F change over from the 12 string guitar to the 6 string a lot in the song.

Thanks. That does help.
    Yeah DF/SS play the answer licks on the 6 string neck throughout and alternate between that and the picked 12 string intro.

Yep Glenn is the guy doing the strummed intro in TIE with a 12 string guitar. Then Bernie/Joe comes in with the pedal steel lick right before the first verse. DF/SS just strum rhythm after the song starts.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Smile Re: Eagles Guitars (and a whole lotta info!)

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Basses normally use 4 strings but there are 5 and 6 string basses as well.

5 strings are more common than 6 though. The 5 string has a low B for the 5th string. Just more notes to use! A 6 String can be tuned in lots of different ways.
    WF. Thanks for the remedial bass guitar lesson! Even more than I thought. I have never seen a 6 string bass but now know they exist!!!!

Stuck on the Border

I don't know how detailed you wish to be in this thread.

This for example is Glenn's signature Rickenbacker. Did he ever play it? I don't know. He does play a Rickenbacker in Love In The 21st Century in Dublin (it's the 'speeding ticket' guitar). I won't post a screenshot of it unless you ask for one.

And then there is this which was used in True Love during his solo career. I know it's a Gibson.

What's funny is JW uses the GF sig Rickenbacker all the time for slide (very prominent in F1 for slide). I've never seen Glenn with it. I will add that guitar to the list, thanks for refreshing my memory.

The "True Love" guitar is a Gibson ES-335. A great instrument and a classic.

And I LOVE details when it comes to stuff like this - the more guitars listed and specifics the better (for me anyway!)
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

I enjoy minutae even when it's in an area where I'm completely ignorant. Though maybe we need another thread where those of us who know nothing can ask very basic equestions, like "What are the pedals used for?" "How does the talkbox work?" "How do amplifiers fit in with the PA system?" and such.