Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Guitars (and a whole lotta info!)

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Eagles Guitars (and a whole lotta info!)

Agreed it belongs to Felder, Telecaster on Lyin' Eyes and no-one else does guitar for ICTYW.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree with you both about it being Felder's list and it probably is his guitar tech's writing - not very likely that they wrote their own lists, even back in the day.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I thought this explanation from Don Felder was interesting. I doubt I can tell one guitar from another so I'd never thought of each having its own voice.
    Who kicks off the guitar solo in “Hotel California,” and how did you go about making each solo guitar part stand out in the mix? — Russell Finch
    I start the solo. Being in a band with three guitar players, one thing you need to do is learn to make each guitar voice sound separate and identifiable. I played a Les Paul and Joe [Walsh] played a Telecaster so that the two voices, when they spoke, had different qualities and tonalities. On every record we did back then, regardless of what I played, the other guys would play different guitars. We never played three Les Pauls. It just turns into a big train wreck.
    Guitar World

Now that does make sense for Joe, Glenn and Don F having different guitars on different songs. You would want to know to who's playing at that moment or doing harmony at the same time.

So if all the guys are on electric guitar, (for example) Glenn would be on his old Black(which I have no idea what kind it is), Joe on his tele and Don F on Les Paul.

I wonder how that train wreck would sound if they all had the same guitar.

I guess that would make sense with any band that have two guitar players to have different guitars and not the same guitar.

Stuck on the Border

"Old Black" is a Les Paul Junior. More details here

Thanks for that info, UTW. I heard about Jackson giving him that guitar, but I didn't know the story behind it.

Since I know Old Black is LP Jr, I think I just made a train wreck since I had Don F with a LP. LOL Ok. Small change. Glenn with his old Black, Joe with the telecaster and Don F with the strato.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I agree with you both about it being Felder's list and it probably is his guitar tech's writing - not very likely that they wrote their own lists, even back in the day.
    If you look at the list of guitars in the Farewell One insert, they are Glenn's guitars & I have always thought that is Glenn's handwriting.

Border Troubadour

Anyone confirm that says 'Pedal' next to Best of My Love?

I think it is pedal because Don F played pedal steel guitar on that song in concert in the 70s.

That looks like DF's list to me.

Old Black is a LP Junior indeed, modified (see original post) for an extra pickup and new tuners.

Eagles always used a 3D guitar sound by combining humbucking and single coil guitars. If Felder was playing a Les Paul, Joe would usually play Strat or Tele. And vice versa. In the 70s Glenn pretty much exclusively played Old Black for electric other than the occasional Tele or hollowbody.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."