Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should Bernie's 'Eagle' Status be?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default What should Bernie's 'Eagle' Status be?

There was a discussion in another thread that made me ponder this topic. How should we classify Bernie's status with the band? In the first print of the official History of the Eagles tour book, Bernie is listed with the touring band members as a 'special guest'. I wonder if that is still the case in the European tour book? Some of you Borderers that are going to some upcoming shows will be able to answer that for us soon enough.

I guess when they first brought Bernie back on for this tour, it was likely on a trial basis. To this fan, things appear to be working out very well with him, as he has been signed on for the European leg and even the Australian leg going into next year. I'm wondering if there has been any discussion or consideration to Bernie rejoining the band as an official Eagle? To me, that would be awesome. Regardless, as VA mentioned in the other thread, it's hard to think of him now as a former or an ex-Eagle. I am now thinking of him as an 'honorary Eagle' at the very least.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about Bernie's band status.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: What should Bernie's 'Eagle' Status be?

I think it depends on Bernie really... Does he want to continue playing with the band for the long term/forseeable future? Or does he want to wrap up this HOTE tour and call it done... Also, is the band going to tour past HOTE? I can't see him being an Eagle again IMHO unless it's the former. Otherwise it's more of a special guest, etc etc.

I certainly hope it's a case of the former. Anyone here who knows me knows I am a Joe Walsh fan to the core and believe his joining the band was their wisest move. But I enjoyed Bernie (moreso than I'd have guessed) at the St. Louis show last year and I certainly would like for him to keep touring with them as long as possible. And coming from me that's a big statement. I think the whole Bernie and Joe playing together is a cool new dynamic and something that was really never done in the past, even when Joe would sit in with the Eagles in the 70s when he was still in the band.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

As he only plays for half the set I don't see him having full "Eagle" status. I wish a little more was made of him in the promotional materials, though. "Special guest" is fine as it really is special for those of us who know his name. I still can't believe I've seen an "Eagles" with three out of four original members playing so many songs from "Desperado".

What I'm more interested in is the possibility that they've recorded some new music. If Bernie was part of that, it might change his status.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Oooh...you bring up a good point, UTW, that would be totally awesome. New music, of course, and to have Bernie be a part of it.

I don't know, the fact they don't make more of a deal of him being there tells me they have no intentions of giving him full Eagle status. Although, the way they have the setlist set up, he's not really part of their second set and first encore history. Of course, Tim and Joe play the first set, so...

Maybe I should take a nap ( ) so I can think of a good word that describes his status. I guess if all else fails we can be creative and make one up!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Bernie serves a purpose and fits in as far as the "History" of the Eagles tour. I would be surprised if the collaboration went beyond that into future recordings or other tours. After all they have been through, I can't envision any scenario where they make him a "member" from a business standpoint. Regardless of what his role is with them in the future, he will be a special guest or "musician", like Steuart or the backing musicians. He won't be "an Eagle", even though this is weird, because he obviously WAS, but it was a looooong time ago.

But, who knows with these guys! It is fun to contemplate the possibilities...I for one would love to see Bernie included.

Stuck on the Border

I tend to agree with all these comments & would say that he is an honorary Eagle for the HOTE tour. We don't know what will happen after HOTE; we don't know if they will ever record again & whether or not Bernie would be involved (my opinion is I would have thought not).

I agree with all the comments to. He is definately and "special guest" but will he continue on only he will know. I do wish he would record with them again, that would be magical.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

If it were a regular job, he'd be like a part-time employee.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

Bernie IS an Eagle and should be given full status (albeit only if he wants it). I also see no reason why he couldn't stay up there to perform songs he wasn't involved in the recording (after all it never stopped Tim or Joe). Bernie is an incredible musician who can strum along to anything and his backing vocals are top notch. imo, this band should become a fivesome again
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...

Stuck on the Border

That would make me happy, especially if he inspired them to record something new.