Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What should Bernie's 'Eagle' Status be?

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: What should Bernie's 'Eagle' Status be?

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    If it were a regular job, he'd be like a part-time employee.
    good analogy VA.

I think new music would be awesome but I am not holding my breath .

I think he must be happy with the deal if he isto continue touring...whatever they call him...he knows what he is and what he did in contribution to music.
    I think jmo it comes a point in your life where you just wanna play great music and enjoy yourself and not worry about what labels are put upon you. I read an interview where he stated that he does fine with the royality checks each month

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GettheLeadonOut!! View Post
    Bernie IS an Eagle and should be given full status (albeit only if he wants it). I also see no reason why he couldn't stay up there to perform songs he wasn't involved in the recording (after all it never stopped Tim or Joe). Bernie is an incredible musician who can strum along to anything and his backing vocals are top notch. imo, this band should become a fivesome again
    Tim or Joe??? How could they NOT be playing ALL of the songs? Who would play them? Their positions in the band can not in any way be compared to Bernie's, in fact, they are the exact opposite - they replaced those members who quit. Agree with everything you say about Bernie's musicianship and singing, but you're going to need to provide more information to support the idea that he is entitled to a partnership share right now. Why do you think that?

Border Desperado

I think jmo it comes a point in your life where you just wanna play great music and enjoy yourself and not worry about what labels are put upon you. I read an interview where he stated that he does fine with the royality checks each month[/quote]

I agree with TT on this one. As much as I would love to see Bernie become a full fledged Eagle again, He may just be having a great time on tour without all the pressures etc, I think Bernie is a very shrewd guy and as long as everyone is happy playing music for the fans then its all good.

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Tim or Joe??? How could they NOT be playing ALL of the songs? Who would play them? Their positions in the band can not in any way be compared to Bernie's, in fact, they are the exact opposite - they replaced those members who quit. Agree with everything you say about Bernie's musicianship and singing, but you're going to need to provide more information to support the idea that he is entitled to a partnership share right now. Why do you think that?
    I think you are missing my point. Bernie sits out the entire 2nd set because he was not involved in that era. Joe could just as easily sit out the entire 1st set because it was not his era. Do I want them to do that? Hell no! I love Joe! I'm just saying why not have Bernie stay up there for the 2nd set? And better yet, why not just make him a full member again. Should he be compensated the same as Tim and Joe who have toiled for so long in the group? Probably not, but let the lawyers figure it out. If they asked Felder to re-join would you put up a fight as well?
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...

I'm not putting up a fight! You said he should be given full status "if he wants it". I think Don and Glenn probably have him right where they want him. You made it sound like they're not being fair to him, or that they are going against what he DESERVES. I think it would be great if he, Felder, and Randy all were involved!

EDIT: And, I think Steuart deserves to not be given the boot. So what do you think about having all eight former and current members playing for the whole show? (I know, it would be awesome, but that's not gonna happen even if they are all available and willing)

EDIT, EDIT: I do think I missed your point. You're just talking about him staying out on stage during shows, not about the business relationship and being a full-fledged Eagle. I agree it's a shame he disappears, I would like him to stay out for the whole show, but I certainly don't think that would be something that he deserves or that Don and Glenn owe him because he was a founding member. He could play other instruments so you don't have 4 guitarists.
    Last edited by MaryCalifornia; 06-02-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

I'm not putting up a fight! You said he should be given full status "if he wants it". I think Don and Glenn probably have him right where they want him. You made it sound like they're not being fair to him, or that they are going against what he DESERVES. I think it would be great if he, Felder, and Randy all were involved!

EDIT: And, I think Steuart deserves to not be given the boot. So what do you think about having all eight former and current members playing for the whole show? (I know, it would be awesome, but that's not gonna happen even if they are all available and willing)

EDIT, EDIT: I do think I missed your point. You're just talking about him staying out on stage during shows, not about the business relationship and being a full-fledged Eagle. I agree it's a shame he disappears, I would like him to stay out for the whole show, but I certainly don't think that would be something that he deserves or that Don and Glenn owe him because he was a founding member. He could play other instruments so you don't have 4 guitarists.
    Thanks Mary, I wish Glenn and Don would consider giving him full member status but it is complicated and I'm sure Bernie doesn't want to ruffle feathers with the guys (Joe & Tim) who have been so loyal to them for decades now. However, they could consider keeping him up there for the whole show, his backing vocals really add to the blend and he obviously would be able to play along with any and all songs in the second set.

And all eight guys out there? Bring it on!
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...

Stuck on the Border

There were/are seven Eagles, not eight.

Border Troubadour

I think Steuart Smith was being referred to as the eight.

That is a point though, if Randy had been well enough to tour (I'm assuming the offer was there as per Bernie), what would they actually all do? Would there ever be a point of too many cooks spoiling the broth re: guitarists?

There is the example of Yes back in the early 1990s. They had a reunion of practically every member and they sounded wonderful, but they basically doubled up on every instrument instead, and their music was weird and unique enough to forge parts that weren't there initially. Food for thought anyway!

Stuck on the Border

MC referred to 'former & current members'. Steuart is no more a member of the Eagles than Scott Crago is.

Forgive me for being lazy within the context of the discussion we were having. I should have said seven former and current Eagles plus Steuart Smith would result in eight people playing instruments out on the front of the stage, not counting the backing musicians like Scott Crago who play instruments behind the eight guys who would be in the front.