Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Least favourite Eagles song?

Border Troubadour

Default Least favourite Eagles song?

We all have one

I think the large majority of people on here would concur that the Eagles have produced some wonderful songs over the years, from country to hard rock, chart toppers to ones never performed live etc; however there is always that one song (or more) that either leaves you cold or you cannot understand why it's so adored by everyone else.

I'll go first - LWKUA. Always been a bit too soppy for my liking lyrically, and musically it's very uninspiring. Always gets a skip on my iPod or DVDs. No hate please guys

Anyone else?

Default Re: Least favourite Eagles song?

One of the things I like about the Eagles is how very, very few of their songs are clunkers.

That said....

"Disco Strangler." Oh my gosh, what were they thinking???

I read there was talk of making The Long Run a double album. I'm glad they didn't if songs like that were considered better than the ones that would've made up the second LP.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    One of the things I like about the Eagles is how very, very few of their songs are clunkers.

That said....

"Disco Strangler." Oh my gosh, what were they thinking???

I read there was talk of making The Long Run a double album. I'm glad they didn't if songs like that were considered better than the ones that would've made up the second LP.
    According to Felder's book the only thing any of them agreed on by The Long Run was that they hated disco music, so this song was made. According to Eliot, Henley has said it was essentially a p*ss-take (my words, not Henley's ).

I agree re: double album. In a way I'm kind of glad they called time when they did, I really would dread to think how they'd have progressed from the Long Run, where instead of having album fillers like Try and Love Again and Ol' 55 you end up with Teenage Jail and TGDWNF.

Stuck on the Border

I understand the "p*ss take" thing, but if you're going to do that, you should do a decent song IMO. There were a lot of great disco songs, but Disco Strangler is very bad. If anything, the song makes Eagles themselves look bad. I like Felder's riff and the chorus, but that's about it. Henley's melody just drags and drags and drags. So yeah, this is my least favorite Eagles song too. Definitely.
    Last edited by chaim; 05-27-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Up until a couple of years ago I'd have said Desperado, believe it or not. However, with hearing it live so many times, I can certainly say that Don sells it live. Big time. So when I hear the original recording, I just think about hearing it live and don't feel the need to skip past it.

I do skip over Please Come Home For Christmas a lot, but that's purely because I only listen to Christmas music at Christmas, so it doesn't count. However, Funky New Year gets skipped over for other reasons as well. I'm not into that kind of funkiness, I guess.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Mine is I Wish You Peace but Love Will Keep Us Alive is up there. It is one of two Eagles songs which ISN'T on my iPod. The other is Please Come Home For Christmas, which I have never liked.

In terms of songs you can't understand why they are adored...I suppose I have two, Best Of My Love & The Long Run.

I have never felt the antipathy to The Disco Strangler that others do except I suppose that it is relentlessly negative & that it has no backing vocals. I like that they ditched the syrupy strings that were such a big feature of the prevous album. I like how direct it is. It is a superior song to Greeks & Teenage Jail.

Stuck on the Border

The Disco Strangler, with no hesitation. I loathe the guitar riff and other than that, there is no attempt at music. I don't get as far as listening to the lyrics. It the one track that I always skip if I can get to the button. Even if it's a p*ss take, that's no excuse for putting out something so bad.

Disco Strangler by a mile! I hate it! To me it sounds like they are playing two completely different songs at the same time. I don't care for Funky New Year much. I think the Millenium Concert version is a bit better than the original recording. Neither one are on my iPod. I also don't like Born To Boogie.

I like PCHFC, but it is only on my playlist during the Christmas seasom.

I really like TGDWNF, believe it or not! It helps knowing where they were coming from when writing the song.

I like LWKUA, but it isn't one of my favourites.

Border Troubadour

OK, does anyone have a song they don't like apart from Disco Strangler?

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

well I was never a fan of witcy woman but now am in love with it since I heard the version from HOTW..
    wish they would record it in that version
    I think like VA there is a new respect for all songs after hearing and seeing them done live in person.