Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Least favourite Eagles song?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Least favourite Eagles song?

Well - I'm going to partially quote what I wrote in this thread back in 2014 because I haven't changed my opinion at all ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well I'm one that loves The Last Resort. I understand why some may say it is preachy and makes them uncomfortable, but the melody, music, vocals, and, yes, even the insightful lyrics overcome that for me. I happen to believe there is a lot of truth to it and that it was ahead of it's time in 1976 in terms of its environmental message and about man's tendency to destroy nature.

Disco Strangler also gets my vote for least favorite, but since it's on so many other lists, I'd also include Earlybird and Take the Devil on my list.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Oh dear, have I repeated myself? That's the problem with old revived threads. I forget what I've already said.

ETA: Just went back and checked out my old post. I have said something new... I'm bothered by more than just the last verse, but my tone overall is more positive. That makes me feel better.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Hey Soda - I wouldn't stress over it too much. When you've been around talking about this band and their music as long as we have, you're bound to repeat yourself.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

Well I'm one that loves The Last Resort. I understand why some may say it is preachy and makes them uncomfortable, but the melody, music, vocals, and, yes, even the insightful lyrics overcome that for me. I happen to believe there is a lot of truth to it and that it was ahead of it's time in 1976 in terms of its environmental message and about man's tendency to destroy nature.
    I have to agree with you here Dreamer - I've always loved The Last Resort. Yeah, it's a bit preachy but that was Don in the 70's and the lyrics are still true, especially today.... but the melody, the music and how he builds up the vocals and the song to that brilliant ending are just fantastic and even more so, as I finally heard it live when he played here last week - he said he wouldn't be able to do it justice without an orchestra, but the band proved him wrong - they were amazing and so was Don
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

'Last Resort' is a very good piece of music.

Lyrically, the first 2 verses(of 3 in all) are great. I'll cop, however, to having a certain uncomfortability when I try to sing along to the 3rd one, given how I was raised and the way I try to live my own life. The last line, though, may well be the best of the whole song...

"You call some place paradise? Kiss it goodbye!"

So true. So much of what people consider paradise(and, by extension, beautiful) in this world is very fleeting. Like flash-paper, it's gone in a relative instant. That's all I have to say on that...

To me, LWKUA would sound a lot better if Bernie Leadon were singing it--Only he could milk those corn-ball lyrics for all they're worth. "Nightingale" and "Teenage Jail" are simply beyond any hope of saving.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney