Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Least favourite Eagles song?

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Least favourite Eagles song?

Just given Disco Strangler its first listen in a long while. WTF? The music and singing couldn't be worse matched if you tried. The constant hi hat is awful.

I do I do!

Now remember, this is my opinion.

No More Walks in the Wood

I also don't care for King of Hollywood.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I would have to agree with Disco Strangler. I have read that by the end they were just trying to get things finished and putting them on the record so that they could be done with it. I think that one fits into that category!

The other one I consistently skip is The Last Resort. Something in me just bristles when I feel like I am being lectured to about how terrible we all are and when there is a bit of revisionist history going on. I love Don's lyric writing, but this one just rubs me wrong. Just my humble opinion...

Well I don't care for The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks, strange title and doesn't tune is well too fast for Eagle material. The tune is not smooth like their other songs can be.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I really like TGDWNF, believe it or not! It helps knowing where they were coming from when writing the song.
    I do too!

I do like Born To Boogie though. It reminds me of a ZZ Top thing - who I love.

But Greeks for me is WAY better than Teenage Jail, Disco Strangler, etc etc.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I would not have been brave enough to admit this if it weren't for TJH, so here goes. I too have never understood the acclaim for The Last Resort (the song, not our fellow Borderer!!) I really do not like that song. I know there are a lot of people who think it's special, but I just can't listen to it. [ducks].

The song I didn't like. Wouldn't believe this, but I didn't like HT. A favorite group, The Osmonds play this song in concert and I was so sick and tired of that song. The song is growing on me.

James Dean and Ol' 55 I didn't like and it's now growing on me.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I would not have been brave enough to admit this if it weren't for TJH, so here goes. I too have never understood the acclaim for The Last Resort (the song, not our fellow Borderer!!) I really do not like that song. I know there are a lot of people who think it's special, but I just can't listen to it. [ducks].
    Actually, I've never cared for it, either. Like you, there's just something that rubs me the wrong way. Not sure why, because I agree with just about everything in it. More than using the name 'Jesus' inappropriately, the whole song just doesn't set right with me. I was worried a year or so ago they'd include it in the tour.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I find the melody of "The Last Resort" beautiful, but the last verse angered me so much that I didn't put it on my iPod until after I made these sites and I somehow felt this weird obligation to have every Eagles song on there, even "Disco Stranger." lol So interminably self-righteous and preachy.

I once joked that if you wanted to see the Eagles on Sunday morning back then, you'd probably find them unconscious on a floor surrounded by empty liquor bottles and traces of cocaine powder. Once they awoke, the only god they'd be worshiping would be made of porcelain; instead of standing up and singing, though, they'd be on their knees and puking.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

I'm guessing it's the reference to Christians ('see them there, on Sunday morning') and the double entendre of 'Jesus, people bought 'em' that's annoyed you guys? I must admit I do like Henley's nihilism in the song, it's a cold and blunt message but one that made me sit up and think.