Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Least favourite Eagles song?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Least favourite Eagles song?

This is an interesting discussion, so, hopefully, thelastresort, who originated this thread is okay with it veering off topic. If not, I'll be glad to move the off topic posts to a more appropriate thread. I consider Hotel California to be the pinnacle of the band's success. But, in addition to all seven band members, I also believe that many other people and circumstances deserve lots of credit as well - primarily David Geffen (as UTW mentioned), Glyn Johns, Bill Szymczyk, and Irving Azoff to name a few. Each of them played a key role in the band's success in various ways. The band always had a rock and roll edge. What sounds country by today's standards was considered more rock and roll in the 70's. But, starting with On the Border, the band began successfully crossing over to appeal to an even wider rock and roll audience. To me, the key was that with every change in musical direction, they managed expand their fanbase without losing a lot of their old followers, thereby, acheiving the mass appeal that they still enjoy to this day.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Troubadour

Since IABAD asked, I'm totally OK with the way this is heading. The more discussion the better

(Of course, if anyone deems it may be more suited to its own thread then mods feel free to act as necessary.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    This is getting pretty off topic for this thread, but, I've always maintained that the Eagles' enduring success is because of the contributions of all of the band members. In addition, I believe part of the reason that they became the legendary band that they are is because of their ability to perform just about any genre of music at a very high level. I agree that they were well on their way to superstardom after the release of the One of These Nights album. As we are so often reminded, the best-selling record of all time in the U.S., Their Greatest Hits (1971 -1975), predates Hotel California.
    Meanwhile as late as 1975 the Eagles would OPEN for Joe Walsh at festivals. The success of Their Greatest Hits is undeniable. If you put a whole bunch of top 10 successful pop songs on a record there's a good chance it will sell well. HC was an original album of music. One of These Nights sold 4 million copies. HC sold 32 million.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I disagree. VOL and LITFL have a very hard edge I think and while OOC and GDIH are more rocking than the first two records (and IMO AG outrocks them both), Joe's rock edge is obvious on HC and LITFL and VOL (slide) are great examples.

He certainly did that for their live shows. Now as far as slick albums, OOTN takes the cake for me.
    In a way I agree totally. I do think that Joe adds some edge to both of these songs - well, he originated one of them...But overall those songs sound to me...I can't find the English word...too polished, maybe. But maybe it's just the studio versions. My "problem" probably doesn't have anything to do with Joe. I think the whole band sound is sometimes too "polished" (for lack of a better word) on HC and The Long Run - lacking some edge.
    Of course it's also possible that with Don F and then with Joe the Eagles became too good in rock music and to my ears they lost some edge. Perhaps I need some sloppiness...
    Last edited by chaim; 06-03-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Out on the Border

Least fav and this was hard. Due all there songs being great.

Sad cafe and get over it. Not a huge fan oe them two

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    In a way I agree totally. I do think that Joe adds some edge to both of these songs - well, he originated one of them...But overall those songs sound to me...I can't find the English word...too polished, maybe. But maybe it's just the studio versions. My "problem" probably doesn't have anything to do with Joe. I think the whole band sound is sometimes too "polished" (for lack of a better word) on HC and The Long Run - lacking some edge.
    Of course it's also possible that with Don F and then with Joe the Eagles became too good in rock music and to my ears they lost some edge. Perhaps I need some sloppiness...
    I think the band from OOTN on was more polished, but I don't think it takes away from their more rock n' roll presence.... I think OOTN is probably their smoothest song. And that's ok, I love OOTN - one of my faves. But to me it's very smooth. Now it's not as polished as say, an ELO record, but it's definitely smoother.

The Long Run definitely IMO was a hit or miss album and a mixed bag. Some stuff is very polished, but some stuff like Those Shoes, In The City, or Heartache Tonight have a more rock edge.

I have no problem with a bit of a polished record or perfectionism as long as it doesn't go on to be too glossy to where there is no "guts" or edge to it or a human aspect. And that's coming from a diehard raw rock n' roll fan who listens to the likes of the Stones, AC/DC, Aerosmith, GnR, Zeppelin, etc. I find there to be enough RnR in HC (album) to excite me.

I think Joe is a very good team player in the band and certainly made them more edgier - and had that rockstar vibe from the beginning. They were on their way there with the addition of Felder, but adding Joe with Felder took it to a whole new level IMO.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I think the band from OOTN on was more polished, but I don't think it takes away from their more rock n' roll presence.... I think OOTN is probably their smoothest song. And that's ok, I love OOTN - one of my faves. But to me it's very smooth. Now it's not as polished as say, an ELO record, but it's definitely smoother.

The Long Run definitely IMO was a hit or miss album and a mixed bag. Some stuff is very polished, but some stuff like Those Shoes, In The City, or Heartache Tonight have a more rock edge.

I have no problem with a bit of a polished record or perfectionism as long as it doesn't go on to be too glossy to where there is no "guts" or edge to it or a human aspect. And that's coming from a diehard raw rock n' roll fan who listens to the likes of the Stones, AC/DC, Aerosmith, GnR, Zeppelin, etc. I find there to be enough RnR in HC (album) to excite me.

I think Joe is a very good team player in the band and certainly made them more edgier - and had that rockstar vibe from the beginning. They were on their way there with the addition of Felder, but adding Joe with Felder took it to a whole new level IMO.
    One Of These Nights, the song, is a bit too (whatever the word is in English, polished, smooth, wimpy) for me. But I think the album overall doesn't sound as polished as HC. But it's not necessarily in the playing. Might be a sonic thing.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    One Of These Nights, the song, is a bit too (whatever the word is in English, polished, smooth, wimpy) for me. But I think the album overall doesn't sound as polished as HC. But it's not necessarily in the playing. Might be a sonic thing.
    I dig it but it isn't rock n' roll IMO. Just like ICTYW off of The Long Run. I love both songs very much even though they aren't rock n' roll. And I like country, just not the bluegrass stuff with fiddles and banjos. I'm more of a Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Dwight Yoakam kind of guy when it comes to classic country. More harder edged country with loud Telecasters.

RnR is definitely my preferred music but I do dig into some RnB and country. Just not bluegrass or classical. I can only stand so many banjos.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    Meanwhile as late as 1975 the Eagles would OPEN for Joe Walsh at festivals.
    This surprises me, since Joe hadn't had any big hits at that point. I know they were opening for the likes of Elton John and The Beach Boys before One of These Nights had its string of hits, but Joe Walsh wasn't quite at that level of fame. Were these guitar festivals or something where Joe might have been a bigger draw? Was this something that happened often? Your statement implies it was a regular thing, and that would surprise me even more!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I wish I could love HC more but it doesn't do it for me and it's one of the few that I usually skip. Before last summer, I'd never listened to "The Long Run" album, so that was an interesting experience. There are a couple of songs I didn't care for in the beginning which have now grown on me - "Those Shoes" (after hearing it live) and "King of Hollywood" because I love the guitars whoever is playing.

Even if the thread has gone a bit off topic, I've enjoyed reading all the comments. One thing I've realised is how different the music culture was in the US than the UK during the seventies. Given a common language, the amount of american music played in the UK and the british bands who made it big in the US, I'd assumed it was a lot closer. Here's a thought: HC was the Eagles' only top 10 single in the UK, reaching #8. That same year, the Sex Pistols had three top 10 singles.

I give Geffen a lot of the credit for the Eagles becoming superstars - if he hadn't pushed out the Greatest Hits when he did, they might have lost the momentum they'd gained with OOTN and HC wouldn't have been as huge.
    The Eagles were under Irving Azoff's management when Greatest Hits was released - after OOTN & prior to HC. They went to Irving in 1974. So as far as I am aware Geffen had nothing to do with Greatest Hits; in fact there is a scene in HOTE when Irving dsiplays the GH platinum record.
    https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/mana.../frontline.htm