Page 64 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite TV Shows

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I've got to admit, though, I'd have a hard time seeing anyone else as Cesare...Francois Arnaud is fantastic, why did he not have a big career after this???
    At least he has a career - quite a few indie films and he's the lead in a tv series called "Midnight, Texas" - but I was expecting more. Of course, he has plenty of time as he's still early thirties. With young actors, it may be that the US pilot season is such a lottery. They have to pick, and be picked for, the right project. We see it with a lot of british actors who after becoming stars in the UK, head off to LA and struggle. Even Ioan Gruffydd (Hornblower) and David Tenant (Doctor Who) seemed to have a tough time.

Back to Borgia, and I'm about half way through the first episode. It seems odd that Rodrigo Borgia has an american accent and a delivery that is more conversational but I think I can buy it. What's tougher is the amount of exposition he has to deliver. While I appreciate having the politics and motivations laid out, it's still a bit heavy-handed. It's good that they acknowledge the older half-brother, Pedro Luis and explain why Juan must succeed him as the Duke of Gandia and husband of Maria (who is cousin to two Spanish monarchs) and I like that Cesare and Juan refer to Rodgrio as "uncle" (priests had "nephews" rather than acknowledged sons, although that will change). There's also a very young Medici being appointed a cardinal for political/financial reasons which shows that Cesare's appointment wasn't that much out of the ordinary. So far, I'm finding Cesare a little too wild-eyed and uncontrolled but he hasn't had much to do, so far.

I just finished The Borgias last night- (that last scene with Jeremy Irons and Francois Arnaud - all I can say is, WOW). Let me know how Borgia is...I'm not sure if I'm ready yet to see another adaptation, but I am interested to know if it is more historically accurate. I've been looking up the history and it seems like The Borgias took quite a few liberties.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    One of my favourites, The Americans, has just come to an end. A few years ago, the showrunners were given a two-season renewal and this gave them time to bring it to an end properly. This is a show that's worth catching as a box set.

It's a spy story set in 1980s Washington. The title characters are actually two KGB officers living as a typical american suburban family, complete with genuine teenage children. They have to juggle running a travel agency, parenting and interacting with their neighbours with their clandestine operations. It has heists, family drama, dark humour and can go from being very subtle to quite brutal. Nothing is black and white. You get to know the spies and even root for them whilst not really supporting their ideologies.

UTW - I agree - I loved the show. It was so well done. As I have missed some episodes, I will eventually see them on demand with my rip off cable company.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    UTW - I agree - I loved the show. It was so well done. As I have missed some episodes, I will eventually see them on demand with my rip off cable company.
    Were you satisfied with the way it ended? I thought it worked. (It's almost impossible to the series without giving spoilers for people who have yet to watch it.)

Stuck on the Border

I just finished The Borgias last night- (that last scene with Jeremy Irons and Francois Arnaud - all I can say is, WOW). Let me know how Borgia is...I'm not sure if I'm ready yet to see another adaptation, but I am interested to know if it is more historically accurate. I've been looking up the history and it seems like The Borgias took quite a few liberties.
    With The Borgias it's as if they wrote all the facts and myths about the family on cards then shuffled. The timelines are wrong, acts are attributed to different characters and military actions are invented. And yet, I don't really mind!

Borgia has its own inaccuracies but does seem better at keeping to the timelines and structure of the story. Also, it conveys a world where life it cheap, people die from disease or a fight in the tavern. I've got as far as episode 3 and Rodrigo isn't even pope, yet. There's lot's more nudity (and often not pretty) and blood and guts, so be careful who you watch it with.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    With The Borgias it's as if they wrote all the facts and myths about the family on cards then shuffled. The timelines are wrong, acts are attributed to different characters and military actions are invented. And yet, I don't really mind!

Borgia has its own inaccuracies but does seem better at keeping to the timelines and structure of the story. Also, it conveys a world where life it cheap, people die from disease or a fight in the tavern. I've got as far as episode 3 and Rodrigo isn't even pope, yet. There's lot's more nudity (and often not pretty) and blood and guts, so be careful who you watch it with.
    I knew very little about the history when I started watching The Borgias and was surprised at how much they got wrong. But it was so good I don't mind either!

More nudity than The Borgias?? A certain scene with Micheletto comes to mind...

I wish they had continued The Borgias to the end, though, although I know why they didn't. To have it end with the death of Rodrigo, or of Cesare, would have brought it full circle.
    Last edited by groupie2686; 06-22-2018 at 02:14 PM.

DanShapiro

I knew very little about the history when I started watching The Borgias and was surprised at how much they got wrong. But it was so good I don't mind either!

More nudity than The Borgias?? A certain scene with Micheletto comes to mind...

I wish they had continued The Borgias to the end, though, although I know why they didn't. To have it end with the death of Rodrigo, or of Cesare, would have brought it full circle.
    I too shut down my mind and memory while watching any series that I love. I would have loved to have it ended with the death of Cesare.

Quote Originally Posted by DanShapiro View Post
    I too shut down my mind and memory while watching any series that I love. I would have loved to have it ended with the death of Cesare.
    I think Neil Jordan was planning for it to end with the death of Rodrigo, before it was cancelled, but I agree, it should have ended with the death of Cesare. I thought in season 3 the focus shifted from Rodrigo to Cesare and to have it end with his death would have brought it full circle. There is certainly enough history for them to work with, with Della Rovere's election as pope after Rodrigo's death, Cesare's banishment from Rome, and Lucrezia's third marriage.

I'm holding out a small hope that a fourth season or some sort of tv movie could still happen, maybe on Netflix. It's been done with other shows, a finale years after the show ended. I think the real Rodrigo Borgia lived to be in his 70s, so Jeremy Irons has a while to go before it would no longer be believable.

Anyone else love Game Of Thrones?

I am also a huge fan of That 70s show

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Anyone else love Game Of Thrones?

I am also a huge fan of That 70s show

I am a massive fan of GoT, as I have said before.